Water/vapor In Right Headlight On 93 Sc300

:cries: I get some water/vapor in the right headlight when it rains or when I go through the car wash. I can't see any cracks in the headlight but I noticed there is a small hole in the black rubber seal around the headlight. Could that be the problem? Is that easy to fix?

Thanks for your help!

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

:cries: I get some water/vapor in the right headlight when it rains or when I go through the car wash.  I can't see any cracks in the headlight but I noticed there is a small hole in the black rubber seal around the headlight.  Could that be the problem?  Is that easy to fix?

Thanks for your help!

Pat

I was told by another Lexus SC300 owner to use some clear caulking along the inside rubber seal and that should fix the problem. Thanks!

Pat

Ok since I first found this site for this problem, I'll share...

You'll need to remove the head lamps, to do this you will need to remove the black covers in front of the tires, behind the headlamp. Remove the one nut inside and one bolt outside (underhood) disconnect the wires and Voila! it's out. Now comes time to make some decisons. The goo holding the two lamp halves together is petrol based and is very, very nasty. See if you can find some 3M clear sealant (you know you have the right stuff when it smells like model glue) and apply along the seam (between the clear lens and black housing) after giving it a good cleaning. Let it sit overnight and reinstall. Remove the seals around the headlamp and keep the marker light out for a couple of days to let the vapor dry out (it may take some time). I've left the lamp seals off for over a week to get it dry. Ok I said something about a decision... Well the lens and housing can be separated and cleaned and worked. It's a huge pain. Place the lamp assy into the oven for 12 min at about 180-200 degrees, this will soften the goo enough to get the two halves apart. Now comes the hard part, cleaning all of that goo out. That you will have to figure out, but I can tell you from experience, heat helps a lot. Do this on a hot day, not January like myself. You can clean up the remains with GOOF OFF, don't try goo gone or other substitutes, they just ruin the plastic. Keep the stuff off of the lenses for the adjusting levels. Once you have both clean, just use a nice clear silicone to seal it. Watch out tho because the silicone will emit water vapors and fog the lens, surely causing you much distress after 6 hours of cleaning grey goo! Don't worry, keep the seals off of the lamps and remove the marker bulbs when you aren't driving it, and it will go away, eventually. Mine took about 3 weeks during the winter. Not a drop since... Good luck!

I did not have vapor in my headlight but in my tailight did. I took the light off and found a crack in the housing I used the outlet of a small vacume cleaner that the exhaust was about 90 degrees. I set it up to blow through the light housing. It took about 8 hours but the lense cleared up. I sealed the crack with silicon and have not a problem since. The crack looked like someone had used a screwdiver to pry the light assembly out and cracked to housing.