Used '98 Trunk Lid

I had my trunk lid vandelized.nothing major but the body shop quoted 3 hrs of body work.

After 4 calls to local junk yards, I found a shop that had a '98 lid in burgandy.

I figured what the hell..i'll buy this - it was mint,no scratches,no dents...and more importantly-there would be no bondo. I just want it painted off the car to reduce overspray too.

I thought i could just drop it off and they can paint it. once done i would drop the car off for the install.It would be less downtime too.

So i called a shop and they said- to paint,prep,install and blend in the quarters would be $750.00.I can't drop off the lid without the car because they don't want to be responsible for the lid.

is that a fair price?

i know i need another estimate, but i don't want to drive around with the lid in the back seat forever.

I told the shop the lid was mint, they said my definition of mint will be different than theirs. I agree, but the lid is sweet-> if my car was burgandy, i would just bolt it on myself and just wash it and polish it.

Oh yeah, it cost me $125.00.

So- what do you guys and gals think? is 750 a fair price for the paint and install of a trunk lid? I know, i'll go to another shop for more estimates.

thanks!

:cheers:

Keep in mind before you just have the trunk lid painted that by just painting the trunk lid only, you may have a color match problem. The trunk lid will have fresh paint however both quarter panels are slightly faded due to sitting in the sun. My trunk lid was key scratched a few years back & it cost $600 to paint, blend etc. Most body shops in this area charge $600-$900 per panel.

Keep in mind before you just have the trunk lid painted that by just painting the trunk lid only, you may have a color match problem. The trunk lid will have fresh paint however both quarter panels are slightly faded due to sitting in the sun.  My trunk lid was key scratched a few years back & it cost $600 to paint, blend etc.  Most body shops in this area charge $600-$900 per panel.

That's exactly what the shop said. they would need to blend in the quarters.

I wouldn't... a door against a fender or quarter panel is a different story. You can't really see the top of the trunk AND the quarter panel at the same time (except for the top edge looking down). I've done this and after waiting for the new paint to cure, buff the whole car to blend it in. It's usually the different levels of shine in the clearcoat that make new panels look "different". Once you level it out with the rest of the car, it'll be fine. If the trunk is that good, all they're going to do is wetsand and paint. Not a lot of work especially with the trunk off the car. 2 hours labor TOPS, and maybe $100 for a pint of paint and clear.

I wouldn't... a door against a fender or quarter panel is a different story. You can't really see the top of the trunk AND the quarter panel at the same time (except for the top edge looking down). I've done this and after waiting for the new paint to cure, buff the whole car to blend it in. It's usually the different levels of shine in the clearcoat that make new panels look "different". Once you level it out with the rest of the car, it'll be fine. If the trunk is that good, all they're going to do is wetsand and paint. Not a lot of work especially with the trunk off the car. 2 hours labor TOPS, and maybe $100 for a pint of paint and clear.

that's what I thought- but, they wanted to make alot of money off this job.

I asked myself- blend in the trunk? if it was a door, maybe.

I'll just call other shops and get more quotes.

oh-i need them to paint the inside of the replacement trunk, but not clear coat it.

and they need to install the lights from the original trunk. I plan to only have the "L" logo placed on the replacement trunk. I want to leave the "lexus" and "es300" off for a cleaner look.

OK- found a highly recommended shop that will paint the trunk off the car without me leaving it there for 2-3 days.

I'll drop the lid off in the next 48 hrs.

now i'm psyched.