O.k. Everyone Say Oh, Sh#$@t

914lps

Did you know when you are stopped in a parking lot, and can't move forward or back up because of traffic, and a big SUV backs right into your divers side front quarter panel you can hear it go crunnnch! (my window was down and the radio was off).

Gee, I'm so happy right now, once again in Los Angeles 500 miles from home and the car is messed up.

Please no great suggestions like telling me I should stay at home more.

:chairshot:

Did you know when you are stopped in a parking lot, and can't move forward or back up because of traffic, and a big SUV backs right into your divers side front quarter panel you can hear it go crunnnch!  (my window was down and the radio was off).

Gee, I'm so happy right now, once again in Los Angeles 500 miles from home and the car is messed up.

Please no great suggestions like telling me I should stay at home more.

:chairshot:

oh man :( and after your tune up and getting int running so nicely too!

you should stay at home more :P (sorry, had to). LOL.

do you have AAA? if not, the first person i woudl call is your ins. co...

Oh, it gets better. On Wednesday I spent 3 hours washing waxing etc.... The dent was bad enough that I had to pry the fender out to save the tire from getting eaten. It really is just life’s old fashioned BS... It could be so much worse. No one hurt and car is fixable. Other guy admitted fault ( I recorded him admitting it) and he has insurance.

I had been thinking about taking all the dings and dents from parking lots (you know shopping carts and car doors) out of the car and doing a complete repaint. Think I'll do it now.

I did get a fast estimate at about 2,200.00 but it may be low. I think the front my be pushed over.

I was in a parking lot and a guy in a full size Chevy Tahoe ( 2004 from Avis rent a car. Guy bought full coverage insurance on the rental. He lives in Mexico ) backed into me. I was stopped. His rear hit the driver side quarter panel. The wheel well was abut the center of the hit. His bumper hit the car high. Putting the biggest dent right over the center of the area over the tire. When he made contact with my car it stopped him. He then gave it gas.. And pushed me sideways about a foot. As such I will expect it tweaked the front top of the car. The Lexus is the silver two tone with gray on the lower panel. On the side that was hit the panel now sticks out about ½” in front of the top sheet metal. On the passenger side, the top sheet metal now sticks out past the lower panel. The hood seems to have the same spacing on all sides. Me thinks my car got pushed over…… :blink:

Your thoughts???

Oh, it gets better.  On Wednesday I spent 3 hours washing waxing etc....  The dent was bad enough that I had to pry the fender out to save the tire from getting eaten.  It really is just life’s old fashioned BS... It could be so much worse.  No one hurt and car is fixable.  Other guy admitted fault ( I recorded him admitting it) and he has insurance.

I had been thinking about taking all the dings and dents from parking lots (you know shopping carts and car doors) out of the car and doing a complete repaint.  Think I'll do it now.

I did get a fast estimate at about 2,200.00 but it may be low.  I think the front my be pushed over.

I was in a parking lot and a guy in a full size Chevy Tahoe ( 2004 from Avis rent a car.  Guy bought full coverage insurance on the rental.  He lives in Mexico )  backed into me.  I was stopped.  His rear hit the driver side quarter panel.  The wheel well was abut the center of the hit.  His bumper hit the car high.  Putting the biggest dent right over the center of the area over the tire.  When he made contact with my car it stopped him.  He then gave it gas.. And pushed me sideways about a foot.  As such I will expect it tweaked the front top of the car.  The Lexus is the silver two tone with gray on the lower panel.  On the side that was hit the panel now sticks out about ½” in front of the top sheet metal.  On the passenger side, the top sheet metal now sticks out past the lower panel.  The hood seems to have the same spacing on all sides.  Me thinks my car got pushed over…… :blink:

Your thoughts???

sounds nasty, but not unfixable. all other panels line up straight? rear doors? trunk? no extar learge or extra small gaps?

i would pop for the repaint now too, espeically if i had the cash. $2,200 s a VERY lowball extiamte, and may not be quality work. expect to pay 3-4,000 for OEM repaint.

The car took the hit (more of a push then a hit) manly on the upper panel and the side of the bumper. All doors (front and rear, back panels etc, , are fine. The hood seems to have the same spacing all the way around, but it is not shutting completely right. Instead of being tight. It lifts up about 1/4" when you lift on it, or when driving you can see the hood come up just that small amount and again, the front lower quarter panel on the passenger side (the side that did not get hit, is no longer flush with the top panel. The top panel sticks out past it by 1/4 to 1/2". I tried to look at some other LS 400 before driving back home, but as luck would have it as I needed to see one, I found none. I did notice that the lower quarter panel on the drivers side got pushed back a small amount also. The big dent was made by were the "receiver" for the trailer hitch hit over the center of the fender. It pushed it in so bad the metal was hitting almost the center of the tire. I had to pull it out using a metal pole, to make the car drivable. It just seems to me that that much force pushing on the car is more likely then not to push the whole front end over. Also my alignment is no off. Car is pulling to the passenger side (right).

The car took the hit (more of a push then a hit) manly on the upper panel and the side of the bumper.  All doors (front and rear, back panels etc, , are fine.  The hood seems to have the same spacing all the way around, but it is not shutting completely right.  Instead of being tight.  It lifts up about 1/4" when you lift on it, or when driving you can see the hood come up just that small amount and again, the front lower quarter panel on the passenger side (the side that did not get hit, is no longer flush with the top panel.  The top panel sticks out past it by 1/4 to 1/2".  I tried to look at some other LS 400 before driving back home, but as luck would have it as I needed to see one, I found none.  I did notice that the lower quarter panel on the drivers side got pushed back a small amount also.  The big dent was made by were the "receiver" for the trailer hitch hit over the center of the fender.  It pushed it in so bad the metal was hitting almost the center of the tire.  I had to pull it out using a metal pole, to make the car drivable.  It just seems to me that that much force pushing on the car is more likely then not to push the whole front end over.  Also my alignment is no off.  Car is pulling to the passenger side (right).

unless he hit your wheel, its unlikely the alignment is off, i would say frame damage, btu there are other possibilities, with bent control arms, tie rods, other things.

look at the car dead on front from a distance.. is it bent?

The estimate I got in L.A. was definitely a low ball. The L.A. job was based on self pay (usually more then what they charge for an insurance pay). I went to my insurance companies body shop here in Bullhead. It came out at just under $2,500.00 and the body shops out here are a lot less then what L.A. rates are.

They stated that they can’t state if the front is tweaked or not, as that would take more inspection and the insurance company only lets them write up damages that are clearly visible.

If the front is tweaked they stated the most it could run to fix it would be about $600.00 to$800.00 more.

The car had a good alignment on it before the hit (new P6 tires two months ago). In the highway at speed with hands off wheel car would go a very good distance with no drift. Now you let go of the wheel and car goes to the right (opposite direction from the side that got hit, and the direction the car was pushed in).

Also I do not think the suspension is damages other then needing a good old alignment after the car is straitened. I’m sure that the tire took some of the force. I don't see how it could be "frame damadge" as I belive the car is a uni-body. No frame rails.

The estimate I got in L.A. was definitely a low ball.  The L.A. job was based on self pay (usually more then what they charge for an insurance pay).  I went to my insurance companies body shop here in Bullhead.  It came out at just under $2,500.00 and the body shops out here are a lot less then what L.A. rates are.

They stated that they can’t state if the front is tweaked or not, as that would take more inspection and the insurance company only lets them write up damages that are clearly visible.

If the front is tweaked they stated the most it could run to fix it would be about $600.00 to$800.00 more.

The car had a good alignment on it before the hit (new P6 tires two months ago).  In the highway at speed with hands off wheel car would go a very good distance with no drift.  Now you let go of the wheel and car goes to the right (opposite direction from the side that got hit, and the direction the car was pushed in).

Also I do not think the suspension is damages other then needing a good old alignment after the car is straitened.  I’m sure that the tire took some of the force.  I don't see how it could be "frame damadge" as I belive the car is a uni-body.  No frame rails.

yes i meant unibody damage, frame damage is a relative term used in the auto body repair inustry.

and beware, industry standard currently, for frame/unibody straightnening is $976 per inch. better hope you arent off much more than that.

It can't be more then an inch. I would think it is no more then 1/2 inch. That is why it is hard to see if it is realy tweeked or not. But if you think about it, the body shop that said if it is tweeked I would be looking at, at most another $800.00 would suport the fact that if it is tweeked it is less then an inch.

It can't be more then an inch.  I would think it is no more then 1/2 inch.  That is why it is hard to see if it is realy tweeked or not.  But if you think about it, the body shop that said if it is tweeked I would be looking at, at most another $800.00 would suport the fact that if it is tweeked it is less then an inch.

yes but to see how much is really tweaked, the following parts must be removed:

fenders

fender liners

grille

headlights

headlight mounting panel

front bumper

the vent thing around the bottom fo the windsheild (forget the name)

hood

wheels

then and only then, when the front of the car is bare frame, will they/you be able to see what has to be done and accurately diagnose issues that may be hidden...1 broken spot weld could be criticial. i would drive right past any body shop that would give me anuthing more than a "rough" estimate without telling me they would have to see it while its apart.

i hope your subframe (AKA engine cradle) isnt warped...that could mean big money.

Example:

DCP02056.sized.jpg

that is whatt he car needs to look liek to be accurately estimated. so pull all that off except maybe the mounting panel for the headlights and the headlights themselvs and drive to a few body shops...see what they say about ordering a new fender and hood and bumper to the mix, (to minimize bondo useage) and then ask them about a paint match/full repaint.

Someone backed into my pickup with an SUV. I think they ought to ban the things, especially for rentals. Oh well, gas is going up and that is good only because that will mean fewer SUV's out there.