Short Weekend, Small Project

Hello,

My car reach @138,000. This weekend I wants to clean throttle body and tighten belts.

I bought CRC Air intake cleaner. is it good? also this is my firsttime experience.

Needs some help. How to?

Belts: I replaced all belts @130,000. Needs to tighen those because when car is park and i increase rpm, it's make belt noise. How to check and if needed, how to tighen?

As always, Thanks.

Hello,

I opened throttle body and I was surprised because it was looking good from the outside, but the inside looked bad. I took a toothbrush and cleaned it. Since I cleaned it, the idle improved and the car runs better.

I still cannot find the problem for the rattling noise while car is stopped and is idle. Somebody told me that it could be the catalyst convertor cover, is that a possiblity?

Thanks

Hello,

I opened throttle body and I was surprised because it was looking good from the outside, but the inside looked bad. I took a toothbrush and cleaned it. Since I cleaned it, the idle improved and the car runs better.

I still cannot find the problem for the rattling noise while car is stopped and is idle. Somebody told me that it could be the catalyst convertor cover, is that a possiblity?

Thanks

camlex where are you located? i just noticed you were in TX. i can listen to your car and help diagnose it if you are near to dallas.

Hello,

Thanks for your offer but i am little far away from you.(Houston)

anyway, i stopped by MIDAS they found catalyst converter sheild was broken from back nuts. They took it out that sheild.

I have questions:

Should sheild is very important to have it?

They told me, rust is there but no holes in it. they can change catalyst converter for $225 (Universal).Is this price is okay?

is it safe to drive without sheild and rusted catalyst converter?

Thanks,

Do not replace the cat to a universal ,especially if it works good.

The sheild is more nessacary for a newer car when a cat is new it heats up alot faster and hotter than later stages in its life to need the heat sheild.

Do not replace the cat to a universal ,especially if it works good.

The sheild is more nessacary for a newer car when a cat is new it heats up alot faster and hotter than later stages in its life to need the heat sheild.

i would agree with SK here, the sheild will not affect anything vital at this point. Replace it at your leisure, the only thing it might do is make you fail a state Saftey inspection.

dont replace the cat with a generic aftermarket one:

http://www.discounttoyotaparts.com

next time i am in houston (i have family there) maybe we can meet up.

Thanks,

Rick at Midas is very honest, personally he advise not to mess with it. He says continue driving you don't need to replace unless its fail inspection (comes in Dec 2005)or Engine light shows up.

FYI, Toyota told me $1300 for hole peice. Manifold to cat. converter.

Again, thanks for your input.

When you have plan to visit family, send me email.