Acceleration Problems

Hello gang,

Yesterday I degreased my engine (may have nothing to do with the problem but thought Id mention it just in case) and did spray some water in the bay but tried to be as careful as possible not to wet any electric components. Anyhow, I let the car dry out for a full day started the babe up today and headed to the store. On my way back I noticed that when I steped on the gas to go faster than 'average traffic speed' my car sort of choked, or as if not enough gas went in it or something. This 'choke' only lasted like 2 seconds then it begun accelerating, but then it did it again. And then it jest kept doing that every time I gave it gas, like sort of choking and jumping. My sc300 is 5spd so it has nothing to do with the tranny. I dont know if anyone has any ideas as far as what the problem could be but nay help would be greatly appreciated. THanks!

:wacko:

I am experiencing a similiar problem. Everytime I push the gas it feels extremely heavy and will not allow me to push however as the car picks up speed it slowly permits me to push the pedal further down. This acceleration problem was introduced after the dealer replaced my EGR valve to resolve a stalling problem I was experiencing. This exhaust crap is nerve racking. :angry: I am going to soon have a motorvac carbon cleaning service. Any other ideas?

I learned the hard way. My LS400 is like a cat. It really does not like water. On cleaning off my engine I took out the plugs and wires (O.K. only 3 of them) and the idle controle valve ( a $700.00 + list part).

I hope you did nothing more then mess up your plugs and wires. My car was only 5,000 miles from a tune up, so that was no big deal... But the Idle control valve!!!!

The plugs and wirers go into a "hole or well on the engine. If water gets in there, it takes out the plug and it's wire. See the tune up guide at lexls.com for more info on the tune up.

I experienced this. Check your back 2 spark plugs and make sure water did not get down and in there. May be hard to get to, but this is what caused my car to act like this. VERY slow, Slow to have rpm's go up. Same thing happened on my 92'sc300. Be careful not to get water into the engine in the future.

Many people suspect that it may be a clogged cat converter or even a faulty ignition coil? My 90k mile service is coming up within the next week. In addition to the 90k service, I am going to have my spark plugs replaced, TB replaced and my ECU unit replaced (unfortunetly). I am guessing that the Lexus technicians should be able to determine what the problem is after test driving the car.

I am curious to know if a motorvac cleaning will flush out all the particules causing the clogging in the cat?

Thanks guys for your responses,

Weeeeelll, turns out that my idiot self did get water down there...so I was going to change the plugs myself but that manifold is a b%*$# so I gave up and will have a mech do it for me. Also I noticed there was some oil in the wells, so it seems like the seal is leaking a little so I guess Ill change that as well....

Once I take care of that if the trouble continues (ill be *BLEEP*ed) and I will look elswhere, but hopefully thats the problem. Will keep yall posted.

• 2 months later...

hey, did you figure out a cure for yours. i have a similar thing after i degrease my engine. idle bounces up/dw between 1200rpm to 1600 rpm. found a spark plug hole filled with water, but not sure what start of. hoping you guys have some luck....any tip is thankful.

hey, did you figure out a cure for yours.  i have a similar thing after i degrease my engine. idle bounces up/dw between 1200rpm to 1600 rpm.  found a spark plug hole filled with water, but not sure what start of.  hoping you guys have some luck....any tip is thankful.

Most likly you did what I did. You took out your Idle contole valve. To check it. With the egine running pull the large rubber hose that runs from it to the Air Intake off at the air intake. You should feel a strong suction on the hose. If not the valve is stuck closed. If you have sucktion the valve is stuck in an open position. Work your finger over the hose opening slowly cutting off the air. You should be able to get the engine to go back to 600 to 700 rpm. If you cut off to much air the engine will die.

If you are able to gt the engine runing right by cutting off the air, or there is no secktion you need a new valve.

They can not be fixed or cleaned. Water gets inside the micro motor and that is it.

To try to find a used one, look for a to manafold cover with the idle control valve attached. It will run you under $200.00. This is what I did. No one sells the valve used that I could find. They sell it as part of the manafold.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem. I just have the spark plugs replaced, and the distributor replaced. so what do I need to do to solve the problem? I haven't checked, but if there's water/liquid in the spark plug holes, do I just wipe it dry and it'll solve the problem? please help~~ >_<

I'm having the same problem. I just have the spark plugs replaced, and the distributor replaced. so what do I need to do to solve the problem? I haven't checked, but if there's water/liquid in the spark plug holes, do I just wipe it dry and it'll solve the problem? please help~~ >_<

Try reading the full post. It talks about what to do. If your plugs and wries got wet, they my or may not be OK. If you have driven the car or ideled it for almost any time or distance the water is gone, but the damadge my remain. If you can't understand or follow the post, take your car to a trusted shop and let them know you got the engine wet.

It could be a small cost job, or $1,000.00 with parts and labor. Lexus is like a cat. It gets *BLEEP*ed off if you get it wet.

You can wash your engine but not jam the hose into places it can well up.

A nice degreaser and a light mist from a power washer is good ,also make sure the engine is running during and it medium to hot to make any standing water dry quickly.