Wire Harness

freewilly

The check engine light was on and the dealer said that the problem was an open circuit in the wire harness between the ECU and Cam Sensor for right bank. They stated that I needed to replace the wire harness and quoted me a repair cost of about $1500. Is this something that needs to be done and what would be the risk of not doing so?

I know of at least one instance where a dealer quoted a high price when it was only a vacuum hose, although. it does seem like your dealer did a fairly thorough check and not just a guess. Here is a link on how to check for the more common causes of the check engine light. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...++engine++light

You can also do a search on "check engine light" here and come up with some more discussion.

As far as leaving the light on, it shouldn't cause any problem. However, if you do have a real problem in the future trying to turn on the light you won't know it. Also I don't know how state inspection works in your state, but in NJ they use the check engine light for emmissions verification, so it would fail.

Did the dealer say what the cause of the open circuit was? Was it internal or was it caused by something external (ie) broken wire caused by an accident? Also was it multiplex wiring or regular shielded copper wiring. Standard shielded copper wire can be repaired, damaged mulitplex wiring needs to be replaced.