92 With 268,466 Miles Starting To Die

hangloose4@yahoo.com

I "bought" this thing from my dad when it had about 244,000 on it, so he took from 30,000. We did a number on this thing, a multi-four-digit number repair record, overheating issues, warped head, ugly. After that she delivered, but now my bearings in the rear need replacement, along with the brake pads, it's currently undrivable. Should I keep this thing?

I think it was less than $500 to have the driver's side rear wheel bearing replaced, but this was the cost for my '92 Camry V6 w/o ABS. If that's the only problem along with the brake pads, I'd personally fix those issues and keep the car. Especially since you put that much work into it and those are the only problems. If you are handy you can easily replace the brakes yourself and save money.

I beleive i have a leaky head gasket and haven't changed the timing belt since 70,000 so i'm a little reluctant, i got a quote of $800. The thing is probably worth less than that, unless i think it's worth (is there a market for this?) parting it out, if so: how long does that thing have to sit in the, of what is currently my parents', driveway?

Just to make sure I read it right, you haven't changed the timing belt since it had 70,000 miles on the odometer or for the past 70,000 miles? At any rate a new head gasket (well over $500), rear wheel bearings ($800), timing belt (w/water pump, tensioner, idler pulley etc. $500-600), and brakes ($100-200 if DIY or not, also if you need new rotors)...hmm you're looking at over $1500. Ya I saw in another thread your cruise control is malfunctioning too. If you don't want to deal with it anymore, either sell it as a whole or part it out. There is a market for ES parts, so ya. If it was me and I had another back up car, I'd slowly fix the ES. I personally can't bring myself to dismantle a Lexus and sell it for parts. You can probably fix all that problems yourself if you purchase a repair manual. If money is a big issue, you may be better off cutting your losses and selling it as a whole or in parts :( . Oh ya forgot to ask how's the engine (despite the head gasket) and the transmission overall on the car? If the tranny is acting up or the engine is not running well at all, I'd definitely sell the car.

Edited by vcv10guy

I beleive i have a leaky head gasket and haven't changed the timing belt since 70,000 so i'm a little reluctant, i got a quote of $800.  The thing is probably worth less than that, unless i think it's worth (is there a market for this?) parting it out, if so: how long does that thing have to sit in the, of what is currently my parents', driveway?

WOW!!! the timing belt hasn't been changed since 70,000 and it now has over 240,000 what a commercial for LEXUS...

You likely have warped and corroded cylinder heads because the cooling system was not maintained using the factory original coolant mixture (50% distilled water and 50% Toyota Long Life antifreeze). The transmission could also be on it's way out too.

250,000 miles is about the practical life limit of a sporadically maintained Toyota or one maintained using aftermarket parts, fluids and filters.

500,000 - 700,000 miles is the life potential of a perfectly toyota maintained since aggressive preventive maintenance using factory original parts, fluids and filters is highly effective at preventing mechanical wear.

Before the rear wheel bearings went out this thing was running like a champ, tranny and engine felt new, seriously. The car was bought from a Lexus dealer, and since then my dad and i have4 been extremely diligant about maintenance. I personally see no signs that the head gasket needs to be replaced, furthermore, if i did the rear bearings, pads, and rotors, those parts are only like $200 all together. I'll pick up a manual and do the work myself, I'm just worried that tons of other stuff, after that many miles is going to start falling apart when i disassemble the whole rear for the bearings. Is it worth dumping about $200 into this thing just to see how much longer it will go before something else goes wrong?

By the way, what manual do i need (i know this car isn't a perfect match to the 92 Camry)?

Before the rear wheel bearings went out this thing was running like a champ, tranny and engine felt new, seriously.  The car was bought from a Lexus dealer, and since then my dad and i have4 been extremely diligant about maintenance.  I personally see no signs that the head gasket needs to be replaced, furthermore, if i did the rear bearings, pads, and rotors, those parts are only like $200 all together.  I'll pick up a manual and do the work myself, I'm just worried that tons of other stuff, after that many miles is going to start falling apart when i disassemble the whole rear for the bearings.  Is it worth dumping about $200 into this thing just to see how much longer it will go before something else goes wrong?

By the way, what manual do i need (i know this car isn't a perfect match to the 92 Camry)?

Since you're going to be putting your time into it, $200 doesn't seem like a stretch especially since you said the engine and tranny is still running strong. You can can find a genuine Lexus repair manuals volumes 1 & 2 on ebay for sometimes $50 bucks or you can buy them from a guy on ebay who has a manual warehouse for $100. I got mine for $70 shipped from another seller. There are also CD manuals on ebay too for less than $10 (can't vouch for whether or not they're good). I forgot which site it is, toyotatech or something? (someone please help me out here), but at any rate you pay $23 bucks or so for bulletins and instructions on how to replace parts (it includes diagrams too). If all else fails there are haynes and chilton manuals around. Good luck on your repairs.