Transmission Sc400 92 -97

I have a 1992 sc400 that was driving fine and one day it wouldn't go into reverse. I saw a lot of trans fluid under the car. I accquired a 1997 transmission from a wrecked sc400 after seeing that the part number is the same through 92-97. My very serious question is this: Is the 97 trans backward compatible to put into a 1992?

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice before I invest in something so very delicate.

All the best! - Falxwon

I have a 1992 sc400 that was driving fine and one day it wouldn't go into reverse. I saw a lot of trans fluid under the car. I accquired a 1997 transmission from a wrecked sc400 after seeing that the part number is the same through 92-97. My very serious question is this: Is the 97 trans backward compatible to put into a 1992?

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice before I invest in something so very delicate.

All the best! - Falxwon

If its a 4-spd then yes. If it's a 5-spd auto then no.

SC4Million is correct. 92-97 model year 4 spd auto trannys are all the same. The 98 model year came with a 5pd auto tranny with the gated shifter. Besides, the fact that the two trannys you have are the same part # is a dead give away. :D

thanks guys, my mechanic scared me with the speech about 'same numbers, different guts', telling me that the electronics may be totally different. But you guys are on point!

Do you guys have any clues where I can find the driver's side interior window trim? Mine is b-u-s-t-e-d. I bought a door panel, but it didn't come with upper trim!

Thanks!

falxwon