How Many Of You Guys Use 87 Octane

silvermate

Just wandering how many if any of my fellow LS owners use or have used 87 octane in your cars?

personally i've never put anything less than 93.......but i'm just curious.

if so, have or did you notice any difference in the engine response and/or "pinging" of the engine, so to speak.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:pirate: Well, must confess, have used lower octane BUT have not had any negative results! Honestly, I want to take good care of my "baby" so am happy to pay for the "good stuff". Just wanted to let you know that on the occasion that required lesser rating, she has treated me just right! No ping and no loss in power.

Ron

I always 93. Used lower once on road trip, car felt sluggish. What's an extra couple of bucks to keep her running super smooth and happy?

The ECU is capable of adjusting its timing to accommodate 87 octane in a well maintained engine. I have been using 87 for years and cannot tell the difference between 87 & 91 except for the price. As long as the fuel is clean and she doesn't knock and I don't do the wide open thingy, she is happy. :D

i'm not asking for oppinions on what you think between 87 and up gas, thats been addressed a 100 times

or "its my baby, or its a lexus" and whats the extra money.....yada yada.....no offense but thats also been addressed 100 times. :D

and obviously everyone knows what the manual reccomends........

in lue of this thread being a broken record, lets please stop replies of that nature ;)

lets keep it to replies of people who use or have used 87 octane gas in your LS, which there were some valid replies ie.....Ron and Shadow, very interesting, thanks for staying on the specific topic..... :D

i'm asking who uses 87 octane regularly in there LS..........

anyone else?

I don't understand the point of the question. It's like asking:

1. How many of you have changed your oil every 15,000 miles with no noticable adverse effects?

2. How many of you have ignored a "check engine" light for many months at a time with no noticable adverse effects?

3. How many of you have smoked for 50 years with no noticable adverse effects?

I don't understand the point of the question.  It's like asking:

1. How many of you have changed your oil every 15,000 miles with no noticable adverse effects?

2. How many of you have ignored a "check engine" light for many months at a time with no noticable adverse effects?

:lol: HAHAHA!

We tried to run the 95 on regular since we live at 4400 ft elevation and figured we could get away with it. It seemed to run just fine. Until one day the wife put premium in it as the station was out of regular. She says it runs wayyyy better with the premium so that is what we do.

I don't understand the point of the question. It's like asking:

to be honest there is no point to the question, not all questions and posts around here are "please help me fix this or that" or "help me find this or that" those questions are fine but on a lighter note, just looking to see if anyone used low grade gas regularly in the LS and if so the results...it isn't a physics question. ;)

seems most all of the other members understood.

if you arent smart enough to understand the question, then don't reply,

i didn't ask for you to mock me about the simple question i was asking, and i don't appreciate your sarcastic remarks

for all the other members and "Loc vets" that responded with usefull info i appreciate it, i found it very interesting. :cheers:

I had a 98 and there were times my girlfriend forgot and put 87 octane. The car ran perfectly fine. I was impressed. I don't even recall hearing any pinging when on the freeway and getting hard on the gas. I think I used the middle grade mostly.

I just got a 91 LS for a commuter/work car last week and have yet to put any gas in it. I was planning on testing it out and using the middle grade. I'll put Super in once in a while. $2.50+ a gallon... :cries:

I plan on doing a full lube/service soon using synthetics. :-)

I've used 87 octane for almost a year now with no noticeable difference or any issues.

Hawkman, $2.50 a gallon!!! Man, I thought we had it bad @ $1.89 here in Tenn.

From all indications, it is about to get MUCH worse.

Anyways, I have always used the middle grade (89 octane). No problems.

I know this is not the responce you are looking for but as all kinds of folks are reading this here goes:

How many folks have had Lexus turn you down on warenty work becouse you ran less them 91 and they found out!

Yes, it is a violation! You are going against the instructions.

I have writen articles on octain etc... Don't judge my writing from my spellng... :D

Modern cars will ajust the time so you will never here the pinging. But you are making things harder on your car, and it will cost you in the long run.

If your most important thing is having a car that runs on 87, sell the Lexas and get a car made to run on 87!

In short if you plan on keeping your car a long time, don't run 87. If you do not care about the car, run 87 in it, don't change the oil or check anything on the car, or fix stuff when it brakes, and just keep going till it's dead.

How many folks have had Lexus turn you down on warenty work becouse you ran less them 91 and they found out!

Yes, it is a violation!  You are going against the instructions.

I have writen articles on octain etc... Don't judge my writing from my spellng... :D

Modern cars will ajust the time so you will never here the pinging.  But you are making things harder on your car, and it will cost you in the long run.

Manufacturers cannot avoid warranty claims based on the octane of the fuel used. They won't even check. As the engine adjusts its timing for the fuel used, it protects itself fully. In fact the higher octane is only needed depending on the load and RPM the engine sees. Drive around town at light throttle openings and the timing will be the same on 87 as it is on 94. The timing will be adjusted as the load and RPM increases and pinging will not occur at all, and not as you say to prevent one from "hearing" it. It won't happen. That said, these engines will ping briefly as the throttle is opened quickly, even on 94 octane, after prolonged slow speed driving. The owner's manual states that this is completely normal and is not harmful.

If we are not to judge your writing on spelling, especially the spelling of the topic words, then what should we judge it on?

"A violation". You make it sound like using 87 octane is a crime against humanity. It isn't.

I know this is not the responce you are looking for but as all kinds of folks are reading this here goes:

Yes, it is a violation!  You are going against the instructions.

Modern cars will ajust the time so you will never here the pinging.  But you are making things harder on your car, and it will cost you in the long run.

If your most important thing is having a car that runs on 87, sell the Lexas and get a car made to run on 87!

In short if you plan on keeping your car a long time, don't run 87.  If you do not care about the car, run 87 in it, don't change the oil or check anything on the car, or fix stuff when it brakes, and just keep going till it's dead.

Where were these articles on "octain" published? Weekly reader? :censored::censored:

Amazing some of the same owners who use synthetic oil even though Lexus says conventional oil will do an outstanding job turn around an use cheap 87 octane even though Lexus specifies "Premium Gas Only" (1st generation V8's).