Exhaust Piping?

i brought some mufflers from ebay. now i jus dont know what size piping 2 use. i was thinking maybe 2.5 crush bend all the way. i also dont know if i want 2 keep the y pipe or x pipe down there. any good suggestions??? dont want 2 lost any low end at all

i brought some mufflers from ebay. now i jus dont know what size piping 2 use. i was thinking maybe 2.5 crush bend all the way. i also dont know if i want 2 keep the y pipe or x pipe down there. any good suggestions??? dont want 2 lost any low end at all

You probably want to go with the same size piping as the inlet on the mufflers. I've heard removing the y-pipe gives some power but I'm not to sure. You shouldn't lose any low end because your catalitic converter is still there creating backpressure.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

yea if you go with a different size piping than the inlet then thats where you get that real ricy sound like from a bike or something, the air wont flow as smooth when it hits the point in which it changes into the muffler creating that sound. Thats the reason some guy gave me anyway when i was asking at a shop...

I dunno. Put a huge 101mm turbo on it and run a 4 inch exhaust like I did. If you bought the mufflers and your now trying to design the exhaust, I think your rearranging furniture on the Titanic at this point. You design the mufflers around the exhaust not the exhaust around the mufflers.

Mike.

I dunno. Put a huge 101mm turbo on it and run a 4 inch exhaust like I did. If you bought the mufflers and your now trying to design the exhaust, I think your rearranging furniture on the Titanic at this point. You design the mufflers around the exhaust not the exhaust around the mufflers.

Mike.

i had my exhaust done already like a month ago. and it is not bad at all. i had the car dyno. ppl say that most SC400 has around 180-185 somewhere around there at the wheels i have 203 i think the exhasut helped a lot. i used 2.5 crush bent piping

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you could help me with some tips on my exhaust.

Lexus1993 SC400 with 132000 miles.

I left the 2 cats that are bolted to the factory headers and installed 2 straight pipes at 2.25 to the rear factory exhaust mufflers and thats all, pretty loud.

I removed the mid section cat and the 2 resignators.

K&N replacement air filter.

I went to the dragstrip last night and ran 10.355 in the 1/8th mile at 800ft above sea level 70.88 mph and my best in the 1/4 was 16.178 at 81.72 mph at a different track the next day at a very high altitude 2640ft. above sea level, even with the corrections maybe 15.80 or 15.70 .

and average 2.4 60ft.

I even removed the spare tire and 1/4 tank of gas 91 octane.

This car stock claims 15.2 or 15.4 in the 1/4 mile.

My max stall was I think 2000 rpm couldn't even burn rubber if I tried. I did do nice burnouts in the water box.

I believe I lost some bottom end torque from the exhaust setup?

I didn't get to test the car out in stock form.

Butt do you think because of the straight pipe and no cross over pipe would be the cause of this?

I do think theirs better mid and top end range.

And I did order a cross pipe 2.25 inch.

I always had the impression that a 2.25" or 2.5" was best for the NA.

Im running a stock exaust setup besides a midpipe which deleted the 2nd cat, and I think that improved my highend but didnt touch my low end.

In your case leostunts, I think there is another factor in your car's lossy performance.

I always had the impression that a 2.25" or 2.5" was best for the NA.

Im running a stock exaust setup besides a midpipe which deleted the 2nd cat, and I think that improved my highend but didnt touch my low end.

In your case leostunts, I think there is another factor in your car's lossy performance.

I found my answer.

Check this out to see the benifit of the crossover.

http://www.timskelton.com/valkyrie/tech/images/h_pipes.pdf