L-tuned Package Voids Warranty?

happysmp

I've almost found all the parts I need to create a complete L-Tuned package for my 2002 IS300.

Some things I've discovered along the way is the total price is close to $10,000 including parts and labour. So you have to wonder how this is going to effect your warranty. So I called, the dealership, lexus of Canada, and the body shop my dealership goes to when they send things out.

Here's what they said.

Basically, they consider L-Tuned parts like any other third party aftermarket part. If you install the part and the car experiences problems because of that part, you will void your warranty. If the dealership installs the part, and the car experiences problems, you will void the warranty. In both cases, the parts are ordered from the dealership.

So basically, lexus will cover the part, in this case a L-Tuned part. They will cover the car, as long as it's under warranty. But they WILL NOT cover any issues that arise from the part.

Does this make any sense to you?

It's an L-Tuned part. It was my understanding that these were the ONLY aftermarket parts that wouldn't void your warranty. It's installed by a Lexus dealership (which is damn expensive). And the car is still under warranty.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance

Lexus dealers offered L-Tuned as a dealer installed option at one time, as I recall. Isn't it all body kit, bumpers, wheels, etc? I can't see where there are any mechanical or electrical parts that would fail due to its installation anyway. What they are telling you seems rather vague, but I just don't see a problem with it.

I'd ask them for specific examples of what kind of problems it could cause that would void the warranty.

I am not familiar with the IS L-Tuned parts but on the GS, there were shocks and springs, a steering ECU, upgraded 18s, and exhausts. All these will affect the behavior of the car.

At one time, the dealer was supposed to honor a 1 year warranty if they installed L-Tuned parts. Now that L-Tuned (the division) is gone, I don't know what the policy is. For example, if the part went bad, where would they get the parts. Obviously, there may still be some parts around but with L-Tuned being gone, parts availability is not guaranteed.

I am not familiar with the IS L-Tuned parts but on the GS, there were shocks and springs, a steering ECU, upgraded 18s, and exhausts.  All these will affect the behavior of the car.

At one time, the dealer was supposed to honor a 1 year warranty if they installed L-Tuned parts.  Now that L-Tuned (the division) is gone, I don't know what the policy is.  For example, if the part went bad, where would they get the parts.  Obviously, there may still be some parts around but with L-Tuned being gone, parts availability is not guaranteed.

Your right. The parts are gone and discontinued...I'm having trouble finding the original parts in the first place. It's funny you bring up replacing parts. The dealership basically said, if the part needs to be replaced, your out of luck. You'll simply have to purchase another part.

In regards to the warrenty. It seems to be one of those up in the air questions and subjective.

If some part of the car happens to malfunction, the dealership has to determine if that L-tuned/any other aftermarket part caused the failure. If it did...they will not cover it. If not, then they will.

I was just upset at the fact that, I am installing ALL L-Tuned parts. There is nothing in the car that will not be Lexus, or not installed by the dealership.

The answer from Lexus should have been simply: Yes, we will cover the car for as long as your warrenty is in tact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...