Replace Swaybar Bushings

majkmil

Hi, I have a 98 LS and I get clunking noise in my front passenger side. I think (hope ) it is my swaybar bushings because they seem to be the least $ to replace. The noise is not bad but annoying. Hase anyone replaced these, and is it hard? From my inspection the bushings don't loofk to bad but there is a little deterioration in the rubber. If someone has the service directions I would be very thankful. Mark

replaced mine with a universal sway bar bushing from energy suspension, polyurethane,both front and rear, its an easy job, pretty straight forward,put the car in a ramp, remove the bottom engine cover and thats it, very accessible :cheers:

Yes, the swaybar bushings are split. I replaced mine and the strut bar bushings last weekend. It didn't get rid of my clunking noise, though.

The lower ball joints appear to be the cause; I could see quite a bit of play when I pried up each front wheel with the front frame on jack stands. The ball joints had over 100k miles on them.

Was it difficult to remove the strut bars? Don't you have to remove about everything to get to them? I will check my ball joinys tjis weehend . they look like an easy fix.

You do not have to remove the strut bars to change the strut bar bushings on the 92 LS400.

There are three nuts to remove on the bushing studs and a large nut to remove off of the strut rod (I used a 15/16" socket). The bushing will slide forward off the strut rod. I had to pull down on the strut rod to gain clearance to slide the bushings off.

It was not hard to replace these bushings on the 92 LS. I would think it would be the same on your 98.

:whistles: Oh yeah, sorry man. That's for a 95' model. I didn't realize your asking for a 92.

:whistles: Oh yeah, sorry man. That's for a 95' model. I didn't realize your asking for a 92.

I have a 91 LS 400 parts exlposion, which should be the same setup as you have.

In the picture, #11 is the bushing you're replacing. The parts explosion is the front driver's side suspension. Let me know if you're having problems figuring out the picture.

And on a note - I'm a little confused about the bushing you wanted to replace majkmil. Modman talked about the sway bar bushings, and then the topic diverged onto the strut bar bushing. These are different things, but all related to suspension/steering, so I wanted to bring this up in case you wanted to clairfy.

post-15234-1109953463_thumb.jpg

Yes, the swaybar bushings are split. I replaced mine and the strut bar bushings last weekend.  It didn't get rid of my clunking noise, though.

The lower ball joints appear to be the cause; I could see quite a bit of play when I pried up each front wheel with the front frame on jack stands.  The ball joints had over 100k miles on them.

How did you change your strut bar bushings and where can you find strut bar bushings for a 98 LS400. Is it relitively a simple process such as changing your brake pads or rotors?

My 92 LS400 had strut bar cushions which is different than the 98 lexus LS400 which has strut bar bushings. You can see the difference in the attached files in the posts above.

The 98 bushing would probably be a little more difficult to install since it may have to be pressed into the strut rod end.

I didn't see any strut rod bushings (or any suspension parts) for the 98 LS400 at newlexusparts.com, but there is one of your bushings here.

You could probably find some other sources and installation instructions by searching this forum.

Hi ECON, Yes I was talking about the swaybar bushings and we did get off topic to the strut bar bushings. Hey MODMAN the (bushings) are called cushions on the98. Part# 48674-40051 I think they are about $40 each. They are much more diffiucult to replace because you have to remove Shock assembly, shock braket, stutbar etc. and they do need to be pressed out and in. Back to the thread topic I don't think my front ( passenger) noise is swaybar bushing related but it may. They look easy, thanks for the PDF, nc21. M<aybe lower ball joints, but I think its STRUTBAR cushions. I think the best thing to do is have a good suspention man ( or woman!) check it out for me, before I just go for the process of elimination. I am bound and determined to do some of this work myself, to save $ and my own satisfaction. Thanks for the help and please commment if you have ideas about front end noise, seems right side is common. WHEW! M

replaced mine with a universal sway bar bushing from energy suspension, polyurethane,both front and rear, its an easy job, pretty straight forward,put the car in a ramp, remove the bottom engine cover and thats it,  very accessible :cheers:

Do you have a link where i can purchase these for my 98?

Thanks.

hello, i used a universal swaybar bushing from energy suspension, for the front part number 9-5162G and rear part # 9-5153G these are greasable bushing, for the rear its easy pretty straight forward swap, for the front youve got to bend a little on each corner to clear the chassis where the old one is located ,this bushings includes bracket which are a bit bigger than the oem, you can not use the oem bracket, they area available almost every where suspension parts are sold, or online costs me 16.00 bucks a pair front, rear, ill post pix as time permits :cheers: