15,000 Mile Oil Changes?

Mobil1 oil has come up in several recent postings, so I went to their web site. They show three types: 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000 mile oils. My question is this: Do I really want to run the same oil for 15,000 miles in my car without changing the filter?

It's personal preference. I used to use Mobil 1. I would change the filter every 5,000 miles and add a quart. Now I use Amsoil and an Amsoil filter and change the filter every 25,000 miles with a complete oil chage every 50,000. It's up to you. I've got 5 vehicles and the oil changing was getting old.

If you read the Mobil One info carefully, what they say is that the oil is good to 15K IF SPECIFIED BY THE MANUFACTURER. In effect what they are saying is, if your car maker says 15K on changes, like for example Porsche, this oil will do that.

Since Lexus says 7500 miles, Mobil is saying, stick with 7500 miles on their new oil.

I AM using their new oil and changing every 5K. With 208K on my car, I am not playing pennies here.

IMHO!

Mobil1 oil has come up in several recent postings, so I went to their web site. They show three types: 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000 mile oils. My question is this: Do I really want to run the same oil for 15,000 miles in my car without changing the filter?

To keep sales robust, Mobil has introduced gimmick names for it's oils every year or two for the past 30 years. Examples: 25,000 mile oil, tri-synthetic oil, supersyn oil, SUV oil, synthetic oil filters, etc. and their latest gimmick is 15,000 mile oil.

Yet not once over the past 30 years has Mobil ever provided real world evidence that its synthetic lubes significantly extend engine life or fuel economy better than conventional oils.

To keep sales robust, Mobil has introduced gimmick names for it's oils every year or two for the past 30 years.  Examples: 25,000 mile oil, tri-synthetic oil, supersyn oil, SUV oil, synthetic oil filters, etc. and their latest gimmick is 15,000 mile oil.

Yet not once over the past 30 years has Mobil ever provided real world evidence that its synthetic lubes significantly extend engine life or fuel economy better than conventional oils.

my own experience is evidence enough for me.

*damn, i swore to myself i would never get involved in another oil thread*

*leaves immediately*

"Yet not once over the past 30 years has Mobil ever provided real world evidence that its synthetic lubes significantly extend engine life or fuel economy better than conventional oils."

Actually there was the 1 Million mile BMW test a few years ago. I guess you didn't see that did you?

:P