$350 For Labor!?

Hey everyone,

So my car was getting 14 mpg, I did what I normally supposed to do and got it checked out. The geniuses at pepboys said that my best bet would be to change the sparkplugs for any misfires or whatnot. So I got 6 Bosch Performance Plugs, and ask them how much it'll cost to install.

$350.

What the krap?! They told me its expensive because they have to tear out the intake manifold.

Is there a DIY or any other way I can do this without spending such a rediculous amount?

Thanks!

That is way too much to charge to change the plugs!!!! Before you change them, I would run the tank to 3/4 empty and put in a large 20oz container (or two of the smaller bottles) of Techron intake valve and injecter cleaner & fill it up and run until 3/4+ empty. Try this once or twice. I would also make sure that I had a new air filter if yours isn't recent. See if your mpg increase. If your plugs are old you can then replace them. I like iridium NGK plugs which are available for $48-68 on Ebay/Yahoo etc and are good for 60,000mi+. Changing the plugs alone shouldn't be very costly (<$75 for an SC400), just make sure that they are gapped properly. If the oil needs changing, I like mobile 1 but others think regular oil is fine in which case I like pennzoil. Use a good oil filter, toyota,nippon,etc. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and hopefully you should get the proper mpg...

350 is extremely high for doing the plugs. Book time on the entire job is only 2.0 hours. Follow what SCdriver said, but after you run that stuff through your car, you will ABSOLUTELY need to change your plugs. All of the carbon and crap that it cleans out is going to burn on your plugs, which if they are bad will degrade them even further.

What is your mileage? You may need to clean your throttle body. Change your fuel filter. How's the air cleaner look? For $350.00 you should be getting new plugs, cap, rotor, spark plug cables, filters and a kiss!

• Like 1

What is your mileage? You may need to clean your throttle body. Change your fuel filter. How's the air cleaner look? For $350.00 you should be getting new plugs, cap, rotor, spark plug cables, filters and a kiss!

I have 70,000 on my car, and I put in an AEM Intake with K&N filter so thats settled for my intake system. As for the fuel injection cleaner, I have put numerous amounts at monthly interval. No change whatsoever. The guy (idiot) before me abused the hell out of the car and only used 87 octane. I treat her right now and use 91 shell vpower ONLY. I so far replaced what I could, but now im getting into deeper stuff.

If there is a DIY somewhere, please, post it. Because I want to make sure my sc300 is running prime and well.

I hate car abusers :censored:

Okay, I am new to the SC400 (95) and am getting 12 mpg.

Thought it was my driving conditions and style (stop and go, very fast).

Fine suggestions up there. Can one of you lexheads post THE list of issues to address in MPG repairs?

I have 70,000 on my car, and I put in an AEM Intake with K&N filter so thats settled for my intake system. As for the fuel injection cleaner, I have put numerous amounts at monthly interval. No change whatsoever. The guy (idiot) before me abused the hell out of the car and only used 87 octane. I treat her right now and use 91 shell vpower ONLY. I so far replaced what I could, but now im getting into deeper stuff.

If there is a DIY somewhere, please, post it. Because I want to make sure my sc300 is running prime and well.

I hate car abusers :censored:

Fuel injection cleaners are not enough. You want something that will clean the entire system: intake,valves injectors etc. Try using Techron (22 oz large or two 12 oz bottles and see if that helps clean the throttle body and intake etc. Make sure you put it in when the tank is 3/4 empty and then fill it up. Don't put it into an already full tank. You may have to do this twice. It is an inexpensive procedure ($16) and should clean far better than fuel injection cleaners. If you have already tried this followed by new plugs and still have poor mpg, speak to a lexus service manager.

Dude, unless you are very good with mechanics and unless you are ready for a pain in the butt unassembly, I would find a reputable mom and pop shop and have them enjoy themselves unscrewing the manifold.

I was going to take it off myself today because I made a boo boo and got water in my spark plugs wells so now I have to change the plugs, but I gave up and will have a mechanic take care of it for me. You have to take appart these little gas sensors that have gaskets and they have screws so hard to get to its ridiculous. I really wouldnt recommend it unless you have right tools and experience, but maybe my mechanic experience just sucks. ;)

Good luck

There are 4 reasons for poor gas mileage.

1) Tune up needed

2) Carbon build up or dirty fuel system

3) Mechanical / emissions problem

4) Driving habits

The first thing I'd do is check for any vacuum leaks. Next I'd change the air filter if dirty and run some Techron as suggested or try Seafoam. Seafoam is fantastic for getting rid of the carbon build up and cleaning out the fuel system. If that doesn't fix the problem then do a complete tuneup (plugs, caps, rotors, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve). If you are still getting poor mileage then you may have some other problem. Has the check engine light gone on at all? If after doing all of the above and you still have poor mileage then..........SLOW DOWN! :D just kidding

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, lost this thread in the shuffle.

Jeremyp, thanks for the list.

Just after I got the sc, I drove it down from nor cal to so cal in a dust storm that could only be described as "epic". Got out to pump some gas, and could bearly open my eyes the sand was blowing so hard. Will check air filter. Run the Techron/Seafoam through.

How do you check for vacuum leaks?

Ps, engine light hasn't come on, though I know this sc had the leaky stearing pump/alternator problem in the past, though hopefully rectified.