Dealer Highway Robbery

My GS300 driver side fog light lens has a small hole in it that is letting moisture in. I would assume that the hole came from a rock hitting the lens, however the passenger side has a hole that is not quite all the way through the lens yet. I replaced all the bulbs (high beam, low beam and fog lights) with Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. You wouldn't think that the bulb would get hot enough to burn a hole in the lens, would you? Anyways all I need is the lens cover but the dealer doesnt sell just the lens. You have to buy the whole assembly, $182.91 for the drivers side and $194.73 for the passenger side :censored: . That is Highway Robbery, and it doenst even come with a bulb. And someone tell me why there is a $11.82 difference for the same part just on a different side of the vehicle? Someone at the Lexus dealership has been smokin the "GANJA" or has done to many :snoooorrrtttt: Anyways I am not looking forward to paying $377.64 to replace both fog light assemblies when all I am looking at replacing is the lens. Has anyone else had this problem? I will attach some pics in the next couple of days. Thanks for the help.

Deadmilenko

But wait, on the box and on Sylvania's web site it says that their SilverStar bulbs or any of the bulbs are D.O.T. approved and are safe for on road use. Unlike some other companies that state that their bulbs are for offroad use only. These are not D.O.T. aproved and my melt your wiring harness. I think that the hole had to come from a rock hitting the fog light. Now the question remains, where to get a replacement lens from? :wacko:

good idea Cruznroadking, I am orginal for Redding, California. But I would rather have new lens then used, however I would rather pay for used ones. :rolleyes: Does anyone know, can you just replace the fog light lens on a 00' GS. They gotta web address?

Does anyone know if any Toyota foglights would work, I gotta sister that works at a Toyota dealer in Northern CA.

But wait, on the box and on Sylvania's web site it says that their SilverStar bulbs or any of the bulbs are D.O.T. approved and are safe for on road use.  Unlike some other companies that state that their bulbs are for offroad use only.  These are not D.O.T. aproved and my melt your wiring harness.  I think that the hole had to come from a rock hitting the fog light.  Now the question remains, where to get a replacement lens from?:wacko:

What's the wattage of the bulbs? Anything over 55 watts can melt wiring or the lenses. <_<

SilveStar bulbs are 60/55 watt, not enough to melt lens.  It must of been a rock, I hate gravel.  Both fog lights have holes/chips with in a two week period of each other.

You should be okay with that wattage B) If you get a new set I'd put a clear rock guard over them to protect them in the future

How could they sell just the lens on a sealed lamp assembly? It all comes as one peice. I'm not aware of any car company that sells just lenses to their lamp assemblies, you'd have to glue them on...

$150 is actually not bad...

Great idea on the clear rock guard Turbo! :cheers:

$150 bucks, Who said that? The dealer want $182.91 for the drivers side and $194.73 for the passenger side. Thats $377.64 total for both sides. And the question stilll remains "Why is there a $11.82 difference between the two sides?"

My cousin has a buddy who works at a Lexus dealer ;) I am tring to get a hook up!

Anyone know of anywhere else to buy them except the dealer? Someone else has to reproduce them.

The front turn signal assembly on a fifteen year old Volvo is over $200.00 at the dealer. The rears are double that. So $200.00 for the fog lights on a Lexus is cheap. And what does it matter in the grand scheme of things if one is more than the other? That's just the way things are priced. Not worth trying to figure out if there is anything significant in that - there isn't.

If you want a cheap car, buy a 79 VW Rabbit. Enjoy.