New 2006 Lexus Is250 Launch 1st Of March

Heads up to those IS owners.

We are launching the press release for the new Lexus  IS250 on the 1st of march at 12.15 GMT

you need to head to http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk to see the press release and photos.

Try www.thecarconnection.com

Daily Edition: Mar. 1, 2005

"Next Lexus IS Appears in Geneva"

Today, Lexus will unveil the next-generation IS sedan, complete with its very first diesel engine. Until now, in Europe's highly competitive business segment a manufacturer has to offer a diesel variant, so the aluminum common-rail 2.2-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel is of great importance for Lexus and its efforts on the Continent. With a power output of 177 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, the Lexus IS diesel will offer the highest performance in its class.

The IS will also be available with a 204-hp V-6 gas engine with direct injection. Both engines will be teamed to a six-speed gearbox, whereas the V-6 will also be offered with a sequential six-speed automatic transmission.

The new Lexus IS is the second model with the so-called L-Finesse design. The car will be equipped with PCS (Pre-Crash Safety System), ACC active cruise control, intelligent active cornering lights, ten airbags including knee airbags, and the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management stability system. The 2006 IS will hit the markets by the end of this year. -Henny Hemmes

I think they will launch the IS350 for at least the North American market......simply because they already have the engine for it (it's sitting in the all new Avalon & will also be available in the all new GS in due time). If they do not bring the 3.5 L V6 (and leave the sole engine at the current 2.5 V6) Lexus will get there clocks cleaned by BMW & Mercedes! I do doubt however that Lexus will bring over the diesel model which looks awesome on paper actually! (I'll take torque over horsepower anyday personally).

My only question is will the IS be offered with AWD & will it be a full time unit like the one offered in the GS 300? :blink: :whistles: B) Very nice job overall Lexus has done on the new IS. ;)

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

This is my first post, and I must be honest I've never owned a Lexus. But the reason I've joined this forum is because the looks of the new IS 250 have really blown me away. So much so that I would like to learn about the Lexus marque as much as possible. I'm a Honda enthusiast right now, driving a 2000 Prelude I've owned since new, but I know Toyota/Lexus makes fantastic vehicles as well. Just nothing that interrested me untill now. I am in the market for a 4 door touring sedan that must be rear wheel drive, offer a true manual transmission, and not have gimicky styling or be unreliable (since I drive about 25k miles/yr). Everything I've heard and read about Lexus is nothing but fantastic, it's just that you either could not get a manual transmission on their cars, or the one you could (current IS 300) has ugly altezza tail lamps and a cheap interior. So kudos to Lexus for this new design, and I'll be checking in on this forum for everyone's opinions about owning a Lexus long term.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm usually partial to german cars in terms of styling, but the new IS is a total knock out! Can't wait to see them in person.

Hope they launch the 350 eventually...rumours of....300+ bhp? Thats an absolute cracker!

I think they did launch the 250 and 350 at the New York show. I'm just waiting to find out the pricing. Cars probably available in the US this year in August.

http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/index.html?s_ocid=20117

yes thats correct

IS350 may not go into production as there are no plans to launch the IS350.

Just an FYI for those living in North America (like me), "The IS will be arriving in showrooms across the country later this year, completely redesigned from the ground up. Available in two V6 models, the IS 250 is equipped with a 2.5-liter engine, while the IS 350 is powered by a 3.5-liter engine. The 2006 IS, in both the rear- and all-wheel-drive sport sedan versions, is also the second model after the GS to feature the new Lexus design language: L-Finesse." The IS350 will have over 300HP.

isPreview_img_photo_1.jpg

isPreview_img_photo_2.jpg

isPreview_img_photo_3.jpg

isPreview_img_photo_4.jpg

isPreview_img_photo_5.jpg

isPreview_img_photo_6.jpg

source: http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview

(There's a link to a video on this page)

Press Release

Lexus unveiled the all-new 2006 IS 350 luxury sport sedan today at a press conference at the New York Auto Show.

"We're taking dead aim at the top of the class with the new IS," said Lexus Marketing Vice President Mark Templin. "We plan to offer a compelling range of models and options with class-leading perfo rmance and luxury."

A new transmission will facilitate power delivery to the wheels. A new sequential-shift 6-speed automatic is standard in the IS 350. Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters for the automatic are designed to provide maximum involvement and control for driving enthusiasts.

All new front and rear suspension, steering and brake systems will unite with Lexus' new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system to provide superior dynamics and control, while continuing the IS legacy of driving fun. The new suspension design optimizes dynamic wheel alignment to help provide precise, confident handling and maximum tire grip.

With its styling clearly influenced by Lexus recent LF-series of concept cars, the new IS shows a strong family resemblance with its stable mate, the 2006 GS, while capturing its own distinctively sporty, yet upscale essence. A notably wide stance and long wheelbase coupled with tightly-drawn bodywork lends a muscular and sophisticated style.

The new look continues inside, where a roomy, luxurious yet sporty cabin is complemented by intelligently designed displays and controls designed to make driving both simple and pleasurable. Bright, clear Optitron gauges and smartly integrated metallic and available maple trim help create a luxurious, yet no-nonsense ambience.

A comprehensive list of safety, comfort and luxury features seldom found in its class will be offered in the newest IS. For example, Smart Access keyless entry with push-button start will be standard, and features such as a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel and navigation system with back-up camera will be available.

These and other features available on the new IS, such as the Adaptive Front headlamp System (AFS), Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and ventilated front seats are normally found only in more expensive luxury cars.

New V6 Engine - Powerful and Socially Responsible

A newly-designed fuel injection system and dual VVT-i will help the new 3.5-liter V6 engine achieve more than 300 horsepower, resulting in zero-to-60 mph acceleration in less than six seconds. With an estimated combined city/highway fuel economy in the high twenties, the IS 350's fuel efficiency is similar to the EPA average for compact cars with 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines. Low-friction engine design and carefully matched drivetrains also make significant contributions to fuel efficiency. And all of the new IS models are expected to carry the ULEV-II emissions rating.

Power + Control = Driving Pleasure

Recently introduced on the new GS 430 (and the soon-to-be-released RX 400h), Lexus' Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management system will also augment the inherently excellent dynamics of the new IS 350. In this iteration, VDIM will be programmed to allow drivers to probe deeper into the limits of handling before discreetly, but effectively applying braking, throttle and steering control. This approach is designed to maximize driving fun without giving away control to the elements.

An important contributor to performance, fuel economy and stability lies in the new IS' aerodynamic package. Low exterior drag is enhanced with careful attention to underbody airflow management designed to minimize and balance front/rear lift. The low drag body makes best use of engine power and the low lift enhances high-speed stability and handling balance.

Exterior Design and Features

Bi-Xenon head lamps

Adaptive lighting turns with steering input

LED ambient lighting in the cabin

General

90mm longer

75mm wider

60mm longer wheelbase

Based on a version of the GS chassis.

Interior Design and Features

Standard smart key operation

Electronics and Advanced Features

Adaptive cruise control

Standard 13 speaker audio system

Optional 14 speaker audio system by Mark Levinson

Suspension and Handling

Speed sensitive, electrically assisted power steering

Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management system integrates stability control with ABS and electric steering

Safety & Security

Pre-crash Safety System (PCS) senses imminent impact and activates seatbelt pretensioners and brake assist

10 airbags

Powertrain

Worldwide engines include a 2.2L common rail diesel and a 2.5L V6.

First Lexus diesel engine

any hints on how much to land my butt in one?

we want $$$$$ figures.  steviej

I haven't heard of any prices yet. But I'll guess that the IS350 loaded will probably be around $40,000 and then you can work your way back down the line - a base LS350 will probably be $34-$35,000 and the IS250 will probably be around $30,000 (maybe more since the current IS base price - with the V6 is what, about $32,000-$33,000?).