Ect Normal Vs Power

Shaggz

Okay, please forgive my ignorance :blushing: ...but what the heck does this switch do? All the manual says is that it switches the ECT between Normal and Power modes. The manual doesn't even seem to define what ECT stands for and what is affected when this switch is engaged.

It definitely consumes more gas when set to Power. It also "feels" like I get a little more torque, but I guess it's possible that may just be a psychological afffect. :whistles:

Well, that's what I was guessing, but thought that was too simple of a guess to be correct.

:cheers:

While we're on the topic, are there any "usage guidelines" I should be aware of? Is it okay to flip the switch when the car is in gear? Would prolonged use of Power mode present any problems, other than consuming twice as much gas?

At least on the early LS, the ECT switch Normal position alters the ignition timing as the shift occurs so that the shift is smoother. I distinctly remember an early 90's auto magazine road test found that putting the switch in Power did not improve accelleration times.

Makes sense...

If svrog was correct (which it sounds like), Power mode just delays the shifting until higher RPM. I woudn't expect it to accellerate faster until you hit that threshold where the ECT switch goes into effect. At that point, though, I would definitely expect it to accellerate faster because you'd be running at higher RPM through the top end of each gear.

But that's exactly the info I was hoping to discover, thanks for everyone's input :D

SWO, how does it add to the "seat of the pants" if the accelleration is no different at all?

I would suggest that it DOES affect accelleration, but only as I described above. Of course, it's all just theory in my head but it seems to make sense.

It delays the shift somewhat and firms the shift at any point below full throttle. When the throttle switch hits its wide open point, the ECU is commanded the same in either trans switch position which is why there is no difference in acceleration times. So it is a part throttle improvement in trans performance. As to fuel mileage, I have not noticed any difference there at all. Both my cars stay in ECT Power mode all the time now.

SRK has it exactly right. When the accelerator pedal is mashed all the way to the floor there is no difference in transmission performance and acceleration times. Putting the ECT switch in the Power position makes a difference only in part throttle acceleration.

I notice this same button in the rx300 (must do the same as the ls as every other model).  Is it dangerous to leave this button on at all times? Will it make the transmission stress too much to cause early breakage?

I dont think it does. As matter of fact, some people go and say letting it shift harder produces less wear in tear in some parts of the tranny. Because the slow shifting wears tranny's faster due to the "slipping". I read a long article about faster shifting in fords, so im sure the same logic would apply.

I notice this same button in the rx300 (must do the same as the ls as every other model).  Is it dangerous to leave this button on at all times? Will it make the transmission stress too much to cause early breakage?

I dont think it does. As matter of fact, some people go and say letting it shift harder produces less wear in tear in some parts of the tranny. Because the slow shifting wears tranny's faster due to the "slipping". I read a long article about faster shifting in fords, so im sure the same logic would apply.

to make a tranny shift as smooth as an LS w/ECT off generates alot of heat.

what i usually do is leave it off till the car warms up, then on it goes :)

Well, that all certainly seems to make sense. It's rather easy to notice the partial throttle difference when you compare the two switch positions. I've never really put 2 and 2 together on that, though, I'm glad the mystery is solved. I had no idea the smooth shifting normal operation is actually more taxing on the system. But as stated, it makes good sense now that I understand what the switch does.

As for gas consumption, I have undoubtedly noticed greater consumption rates when in Pwr mode. I also noticed the owner's manual "warns" of such a side effect when using Pwr mode. Fortunately, I don't drive an LS400 because it's economical, I drive it because it's a kickass luxury automobile :D

I have played with this button many times. The only difference I notice is the POWER light on the instrument panel. This car shifts so dadgummed smooth anyway that it is hard to tell it is shifting without looking at the tachometer.