Changing Differential Bushings

nc211

I am attempting to change my rear differential bushings this weekend. Both are worn out and causing the driveshaft to vibrate the whole are. Mechanics are killing me on labor prices. I know it's a tall order, but a few nuts, bolts and differential oil should do the trick. But, I need some literature on how to do it? That and some instructions on how to replace the shocks only, not the springs. I can't find a Chilton's manual that covers Gen 2 LS400's. The differential bushings are different on second generations, 1st has a TSB on how to update to the second gen.

Any ideas gang?

Thanks.

PS, she's a 95 LS400. Shocks are toast, rear left diff bushing has a tear in the rubber "signifacant".

Thanks pachocco 1! That's exactly what I needed. I'm going to attempt the rear differential bushing this weekend, will take pictures for postings. The instructions site a tool called "SST" to be used. I'm clueless as to what that is? :blink: Do you know?

Pachocco, do you happen to have pages PR-3 and EM-123 by chance?

I don't know exactly "what" is is in this case, but Toyota/Lexus use the term "SST" which mean "special service tool". An example would be a harmonic balancer/puller, more specialized tools like that. You can usually find something else that'll work. The problem is you have to figure out what it is because all it's going to say is SST.

Bob

Ahhh, ok, that makes sense. The instructions list SST #'s (09527-17011). Know of any place I can check those numbers for a description?

Thanks! :cheers:

Pachocco, can I trouble you for page SA-94 as well? I know I'm asking for the bible here, which would make you.....The Lexus God! :D

Thanks!!!!

You can have access to all the same documents and more on the TIS web page. It is ...

"The Technical Information System or TIS is your service support source for all Toyota produced vehicles marketed in the United States. TIS includes all of the vital information you'll need to effectively service most 1990 and later Toyota products."

For ten dollars, you can download your entire Lexus manual for use. To me, it makes a no difference whether my manual is digital or paper. The cost is really the time it takes for you to download the the set. It has to be done section by section and organized as you go.

http://techinfo.toyota.com/index.html

comp.em123.pdf

inst.sa94.pdf

remo.pr3.pdf

Holy Crap Batman! :blink: Thanks for the hook up! I had no idea that information was out there! I'm all over it now! Thanks amigo!

Pachocco, 6 hours later, I've downloaded every single document from that site for a 1995 LS 400. Literally thousands of pages! I don't know who you are, but you saved the day. I've been looking for something like that for months! I even pulled down the tech's learning materials. This is sweet!

Thanks! :cheers:

How much disk space did all the files take up? were all the files able to be downloaded in a single action? Did you use a cable connection? 6 hours seems like a long time for HS cable. It looks really great, I didn't know about this site before and for $10 how can you go wrong. Sure beats paying a couple of hundred for the manuals.

I've been telling people about TIS for a very long time now, I even wrote a webpage... http://www.lexls.com/repairmanual.html That page is the biggest link on my tutorials page BTW...because it's the most important!!!!

I've done TIS twice now and seriously, it can take a REALLY long time...even with a 5mbs cable modem.

They prevent you from doing all files at once, probably so someone doesn't just post an entire copyrighted manual online.....or maybe for bandwidth issues.

All props do go to you. I did take the sugguestion from from your web site to go the TIS route. It took me about 3 hours but I was very determined and full of coffee. : )

My total download was about 150 mb. I downloaded the repair manual, wiring manual, collision manual, the transmission tear-down manual, all TSB's, and assorted technical training for mechanics.

I have a 2000 Toyota Celica. Funny thing with that is on the Boards that I frequent for that car, they already have the whole manual already embedded in threads for all to access. newcelica.org

Now if Gold memebership offer access to something like that I would be very enticed. I wonder what that site license would cost.

At any rate...

nc211-you are very welcome.

LexLS-props to for a web site that offeres a great utility of lexus data.

LOC-the best source and common ground for experiential information.

• 3 weeks later...

Update & Question: I have not replaced the bushings yet, simply have not had the time. I am going to attempt to do it again next weekend. Got a question however with regards to the differential mountings. I was looking over the repair manual last Sunday when I noticed that it looks like there are 4 screws the differential uses to mount to the car. I only saw three the last time I tried to get those things out. The two screws that mount the differential to the bushings on the crossframe "pain in the !Removed! to get loose!" and only one to the underside of the car, on the passenger side. I did not see one for the driver's side attachement to the underside of the car. I'm wondering if the reason why my driver's side bushing is so torn up is because it's missing another mounting screw to help support the thing? Am I making any sense? It's like this

front of car

*screw mount to underside

** bushing mounts to cross member

Back of car.

But shouldn't it be like this?

Front of car

* * Screw mount to underside

** Bushing mounts to cross member

back of car.

Thanks all!

PS, my little * diagram shifted over to the left. Sorry. The first one should have the 1 * on the right side, representing the passenger side.

• 10 years later...
On 2/28/2005 at 0:42 AM, nc211 said:

I am attempting to change my rear differential bushings this weekend. Both are worn out and causing the driveshaft to vibrate the whole are. Mechanics are killing me on labor prices. I know it's a tall order, but a few nuts, bolts and differential oil should do the trick. But, I need some literature on how to do it? That and some instructions on how to replace the shocks only, not the springs. I can't find a Chilton's manual that covers Gen 2 LS400's. The differential bushings are different on second generations, 1st has a TSB on how to update to the second gen.

Any ideas gang?

Thanks.

PS, she's a 95 LS400. Shocks are toast, rear left diff bushing has a tear in the rubber "signifacant".

Mine is 90 LS400. Could anyone shed light on the parts nos. and the procedures for the replacement of Differential Mounting Bushings? 

I have purchased TIS-Toyota and looked over many other places with no luck.

Photo and video clip were my torn bushings suffering shifting among P, R, N, and D.

Your comments and guidance will be highly appreciated!

IMAG3244.jpg

VIDEO0335_01.mp4