Faster Acceleration Mods?

kdawg53188

I have a 92 ES 300 and i was wondering what mods i could do to my car to make if faster and also i was wondering if it is bad for the engine to put it in L gear and then step on the accelerator because it increases my acceleration alot.

not bad for the car to do that, as long as its not frequent, adn as long as you shift before redline.

these arent race cars, if you wanted fast, you should have bought an SC or an IS. sure, the ES's are fat for their class, but lets face it, a 16.5 isnt that great down the quarter.

I would rather have it smooth ridin that fast anyways, ESPECIALLY after my car accident, when you have an airbag explode in your face, it kind of changes your persepective on driving a little bit.

Kdawg, how many miles do you have on there? With very high mileage, I would'nt go nuts on it, as it will make that old engine work extra hard. But, you could simply do intake and exhaust. Ignition wires are good too. And also have the Y-pipe rerouted by a custom shop for more power. If you peek under the car at your Y-pipe, you can see that both of the exhaust manifold collectors flow into eachother, cancelling eachother's flow out, taking away some good horsepower. Have it made so both collectors from the exhaust manifold face the same way into the exhaust pipe.I am glad to see some one hooking up an ES. Hope this helps.

Kdawg, how many miles do you have on there? With very high mileage, I would'nt go nuts on it, as it will make that old engine work extra hard. But, you could simply do intake and exhaust. Ignition wires are good too. And also have the Y-pipe rerouted by a custom shop for more power. If you peek under the car at your Y-pipe, you can see that both of the exhaust manifold collectors flow into eachother, cancelling eachother's flow out, taking away some good horsepower. Have it made so both collectors from the exhaust manifold face the same way into the exhaust pipe.I am glad to see some one hooking up an ES. Hope this helps.

Ya it has 150000 miles but I'm really wanting to help the horsepower on it.

Ya it has 150000 miles but I'm really wanting to help the horsepower on it.

then the place to start is a compression test. if the compression is bad, dont even bother.

I'm sure the compression is fine, and if it isn't, you may as well run it hard till she dies on you. Why not enjoy it, it's not like your running twin turbo's and nitrous. There isn't much you can do without dropping big dollars. The Lexus version 3.0 is allready tuned up from Toyota.

I'm sure the compression is fine, and if it isn't, you may as well run it hard till she dies on you. Why not enjoy it, it's not like your running twin turbo's and nitrous. There isn't much you can do without dropping big dollars. The Lexus version 3.0 is allready tuned up from Toyota.

how do you know? the only way is to check...

thats the VERY first thing anyone should ever do to their car before thinking about engine mods, unles they plan on a rebuild anyways.

By 150,000 miles, the rings and valve seals (as well as head gaskets) may beon the downhill parts fo their life. doinga compression test will tell you if they are holding where they should or not.

if the compression is low (i believe on your engine 170ish is the low side...but dont hold me to that, mine has a lower compression than yours.) then you dont want to do much until you get that taken care of.

as a safe way to test compression, to make sure fo an accurate reading, take 5 readings, and average them out. the compression will be off a little from its previous reading.

how do you know? the only way is to check...

thats the VERY first thing anyone should ever do to their car before thinking about engine mods, unles they plan on a rebuild anyways.

By 150,000 miles, the rings and valve seals (as well as head gaskets) may beon the downhill parts fo their life. doinga compression test will tell you if they are holding where they should or not.

if the compression is low (i believe on your engine 170ish is the low side...but dont hold me to that, mine has a lower compression than yours.) then you dont want to do much until you get that taken care of.

as a safe way to test compression, to make sure fo an accurate reading, take 5 readings, and average them out. the compression will be off a little from its previous reading.

I dont even know how to test for my compression. Is it easy to do? or do i have to take it in and get it tested? and if i do have to take it in then how much money is that goin to cost me?

A V6 with 150K will definately have bad compression. Get forged pistons and the whole bit and do the mods I mentioned before on this topic. I think the 92 ES has a mostly iron block- I might be wrong. Also, go to http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=15247&hl=

It was a topic I started about making a ram air intake. It is cheap. Some people were disagreeing with me about it thinking it was the same as what comes stock on certain cars, but the air does not come in so directly stock even with a bfi. I learned though, that you NEED exhaust also for this to be really effective for you. Trust me, it is extremely effective especially at high speeds.

P.S. Putting it in L and shifting for yourself does'nt make it accelerate quicker. It just feels that way. When you try to shift up right before redline, there is a delay. It shifts perfectly everytime if you just leave it in D. I have done plenty of tests with my Beltronics accelerometer. 0-60 and 1/4 mile are faster by leaving it in D. Plus, if you leave it in lower gears too often, ur tranny fluid will get really hot-not good.

A V6 with 150K will definately have bad compression. Get forged pistons and the whole bit and do the mods I mentioned before on this topic. I think the 92 ES has a mostly iron block- I might be wrong. Also, go to http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=15247&hl=

It was a topic I started about making a ram air intake. It is cheap. Some people were disagreeing with me about it thinking it was the same as what comes stock on certain cars, but the air does not come in so directly stock even with a bfi. I learned though, that you NEED exhaust also for this to be really effective for you. Trust me, it is extremely effective especially at high speeds.

P.S. Putting it in L and shifting for yourself does'nt make it accelerate quicker. It just feels that way. When you try to shift up right before redline, there is a delay. It shifts perfectly everytime if you just leave it in D. I have done plenty of tests with my Beltronics accelerometer. 0-60 and 1/4 mile are faster by leaving it in D. Plus, if you leave it in lower gears too often, ur tranny fluid will get really hot-not good.

Well i wouldnt say the WILL have bad compression. mine is 15 years old and holding steady on all cylinders, even with massive oil leaks. with nearly 145K on the clock.

I would take the car to your local garage, they will probably test it for you for a small fee (under $20).

if you cant check the compression on your engine becuase fo lack of knowledge, i HIGHLY suggest you research what you are doing before you pick up a wrench. an engine is a elaborate piece fo equipment. there is one sensor in the intake, if you bump it, the engine wont run correctly.

keep this in mind before you mod. if you dont know but want to, learn.

start here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm