Airbag Failed To Deploy

dwells50

We have a 1997 LX450, with about 128K mi. Yesterday, my wife rear-ended a large pickup on the interstate, (she was the rear car of a 4- car pileup as the front car slammed on his brakes). My wife and the 2 kids in the back are ok (Thank God), just sore, but we are all amazed that the airbags FAILED to deploy. This wreck destroyed the bumper, grill, pushed the radiator into the cooling fan, and slightly crumpled the hood and both fenders. We purchased the Lexus in 2002, with 91,000 mi. on it, with no signs of any previous accident. When this is all repaired, how can we be sure the airbag system is repaired or in working condition?

Thanks, Drew

We have a 1997 LX450, with about 128K mi. Yesterday, my wife rear-ended a large pickup on the interstate, (she was the rear car of a 4- car pileup as the front car slammed on his brakes). My wife and the 2 kids in the back are ok (Thank God), just sore, but we are all amazed that the airbags FAILED to deploy. This wreck destroyed the bumper, grill, pushed the radiator into the cooling fan, and slightly crumpled the hood and both fenders. We purchased the Lexus in 2002, with 91,000 mi. on it, with no signs of any previous accident. When this is all repaired, how can we be sure the airbag system is repaired or in working condition?

Thanks, Drew

if the truck she hit, didnt hit the airbag sensors, they wont deploy. these are usually behind the grille, mounted to the core supports for the radiator....im not sure why yours didnt go off.

have any pix of the damage?

consider yourself lucky they didnt, a new dash woudl be required for the passenger side and they arent cheap, probably about $1800 in your case, maybe more.

Do you know how fast she was driving before the accident? I believe the airbags deploy at the rate of decelaration before impact. How fast she was going determines whether if they deploy or not. Keep in mind that this is a supplemental system & the seat belts are primary. Did the seat belts keep her & your kids secure during the accident. I believe also that the seat belt have pretensioners that lock up during impact. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. My wife said the seat belts locked tight. She said they were going around 50 mph, and had just merged into the left lane when it happened. I'll try to post the pictures...

nope, missed the sensors. as i suspected.

you sensors are here:

LXdamage.jpg

the main force of the impact msised them.

it takes a good deal of force hitting those sensors to deploy the airbags. the sensors have to either be crushed, or ripped completely from the system. Nothing at all wrong with the SRS system here, simply the car you hit sat to low to hit the sensors with enough force to deploy them. be thankful...i have seen airbags come out so fast, the passenger side panel came up and hit the windsheild, and the airbag iteself bent the dash mounts so the cars dash couldnt be reinstalled correctly without a new firewall.

glad your wife and children are ok.

Wow, I'm glad they didn't go off. The seat belts were all they needed. Now we're guessing the repair costs. My guess is $5200. The tranny cooler is leaking, radiator and A/C condenser are damaged. The radiator is just touching the the cooling fan, but you can still spin it. This thing's built like a tank- nothing behind the very front looks damaged.

Wow, I'm glad they didn't go off. The seat belts were all they needed. Now we're guessing the repair costs.  My guess is $5200. The tranny cooler is leaking, radiator and A/C condenser are damaged. The radiator is just touching the the cooling fan, but you can still spin it. This thing's built like a tank- nothing behind the very front looks damaged.

get your parts here:

http://www.discounttoyotaparts.com

there isnt $5200 worth of damage there.

$3k-$3.5K max.

do most of it yourself save some cash.

im speaking of unistalling/reinstalling aprts. it is apparent that the core supports have to be straightened, this is best left to professionals. that should run you $1,000 or so, and then yeah with paint and all,it may come out to $4500 or so.

from what i can see:

2 new fenders (junkayrd)

Hood (junkyard)

Grille (junkyard)

Bumper (junkyard)

Bumper cover (junkyard)

Headlight asemblies (ebay)

Header Panel (the panel the headligths mount to) Junkyard or toyota dealer

whatever panels are under the car for rain protection ets

looks to be about $1300 in parts if junkyard, for body restoration.

the rest fo it, i would go new.

do yourself a favor, invest in a brush gaurd. next time there wont be near as much damage.

Thanks Army, that parts link is helpful. Insurance is going to take care of this one, but I'm sure we're gonna pay in the long run! I'll post the total amount when we know...

definately, and glad i could help.

the fenders and hood from that link will come primered and ready for paint. all they will need is a slight sanding. :)