Rx330 Seat Belt

mago

Has anyone had the problem with the seat belt not retracking when getting out of the car?

Mine at times, does not retrack and the door tries to close on it.

Dealer applied grease to it and upon arriving home, the same problem happened.

Tom

Has anyone had the problem with the seat belt not retracking when getting out of the car?

Mine at times, does not retrack and the door tries to close on it.

Dealer applied grease to it and upon arriving home, the same problem happened.

Tom

I had that same problem after taking my RX 330 in for some TSIB for the headliner and moon roof liner. I didn't even notice the problem until my wife got in the front passengers side and tried to put on the seat belt. The seat belt was pulled all the way out, and someone didn't even bother to make it retrack again. Usually, my wife sits in the rear seat with my daughter. Good for her that she sat where she did that day.

I had the service advisor come out to check it out. Indeed there was a problem. I can't believe he gave me an option: 1. I could take the car and bring it back or 2: leave the car and keep the loaner. As a human being, I would never let any of my customers drive away the lot with a malfunctioned seatbelt.

To make a long story short, there was a part inside where the seatbelt retracts to, that they had to change. Now, it's performing good again. You should have them open up that area and check it out instead of just greasing it.

I have a '99 RX300, acquired used in 2002. It had a weak driver's seat belt retraction unit, replace at that time under warranty. But it's weak again, and I've hard other comments in this site. Personally, I think there is a part's design issue here, at least for the older cars.

I have a '99 RX300, acquired used in 2002.  It had a weak driver's seat belt retraction unit, replace at that time under warranty.  But it's weak again, and I've hard other comments in this site.  Personally, I think there is a part's design issue here, at least for the older cars.

Any solutions proposed by Lexus for this? How did you resolve? I spoke to Lexus about mine, not knowing there were others with this problem, and they told me there was no problem with it - "that's just the way it is."

Unbelievable.

I have a '99 RX300, acquired used in 2002.  It had a weak driver's seat belt retraction unit, replace at that time under warranty.   But it's weak again, and I've hard other comments in this site.  Personally, I think there is a part's design issue here, at least for the older cars.

Any solutions proposed by Lexus for this? How did you resolve? I spoke to Lexus about mine, not knowing there were others with this problem, and they told me there was no problem with it - "that's just the way it is."

Unbelievable.

I shall be going to Lexus for a free car wash some time this week just as soon as the weather permits.

While there, I am going to ask for a replacement retractable device.

I shall keep you all posted.

Tom

I have the same problem on my '04 330.

It just doesn't retract properly without me quiding it back. Half the time, I end up accidentally slamming the door shut on the damn thing.

Just for reference, has the problem been observed happening to the front driver and passenger's seat belt only? (I read the reference of them above) Or is it a general problem that can happen to the back seats' seat belts too?

I used to have a Mitsubishi car and it had exactly the same problem. The belt didn't retract and the belt clip always stay on the side of the door. Sometimes when I forgot and closed the door without noticing it, the slamming sound from hitting the belt clip is quite heart breaking...

Wow... my driver side seatbelt does not retract properly when my husband drives my car and half the time, he ends up slamming the door on the seat belt too. It never happens to me, but it happens to him constantly.

I should ask Lexus to look at that. By the way, just a curious question to those who are having similar problems? Are you small, medium, or large framed? I'm a small-medium sized framed female while my husband is a large framed man, and as I stated, only he seems to have the seatbelt problem between us.

Sometimes, the seatbelt almost chokes him after he buckles his belt.

Wow... my driver side seatbelt does not retract properly when my husband drives my car and half the time, he ends up slamming the door on the seat belt too.  It never happens to me, but it happens to him constantly. 

I should ask Lexus to look at that.  By the way, just a curious question to those who are having similar problems?  Are you small, medium, or large framed?  I'm a small-medium sized framed female while my husband is a large framed man, and as I stated, only he seems to have the seatbelt problem between us. 

My wife and I both have the problem.

The retractable device needs to be replaced.

Tom

Wow... my driver side seatbelt does not retract properly when my husband drives my car and half the time, he ends up slamming the door on the seat belt too.  It never happens to me, but it happens to him constantly. 

I should ask Lexus to look at that.  By the way, just a curious question to those who are having similar problems?  Are you small, medium, or large framed?  I'm a small-medium sized framed female while my husband is a large framed man, and as I stated, only he seems to have the seatbelt problem between us. 

Tom

FYI - there is another post in this forum in which a member claims that the retract unit and the hinge just get dirty and need to be cleaned. Might want to do a search in here before taking to Lexus.

• 1 month later...

Tom

FYI - there is another post in this forum in which a member claims that the retract unit and the hinge just get dirty and need to be cleaned. Might want to do a search in here before taking to Lexus.

After taking my rx330 back to Lexus for replacement, they sanding the retractable part and it worked for a week.

This morning it did not retrack again..

When I return to the dealership again, I shall insist on a new part.

I shall report back when this is done and to inform all if this solved the problem.