Different Kind Of Scratches

I've been reading with great interest all the excellent detailing advice. However, I've got a slightly different problem. My new-to-me 2001 ES300 has many, fine scratches all over the lower, flat surface of the walnut console (around the shift lever). I suspect is was poor cleaning and polishing by the prior owner.

Any suggestions on how to get them out of the plastic(?) finish over the walnut?

Thanks!

Patrick

Megs ColorX might be a little harsh for plastic,although it works very well on paintwork I would suggest using a Plastic Polish (Megs #17) if this does not remove them then 'step-up' to a more abrasive polish

Trim cleaning:

The wood trim in most vehicles (Mercedes Benz uses real wood) is protected with a urethane clear coat, polyurethane or a thin lacquer, which is very easily scratched. Remove scratches with a fine polish (Meguiar's #17 Clear Plastc Cleaner / 10 Plastic Detailer, or Groit's Fine Hand Polish) and then wipe with a damp 100% cotton towel.

Maintenance- use an anti-static plastic cleaner protectant (BTI Chemicals Plexus@ Glass Polish & Cleaner)

JonM

I've used polishes like the ColorX on real wood panels before and never had a problem. In my experience if you can use it on paint, you can use it on real wood trim.

I agree you should always try the least aggressive step first though.

• 3 weeks later...