Hyundai Equus

alan wong

Not sure if this been discussed many time over but dont you think it strongly resembles the older generation Lexus LS400? I know it has nothign to do with the lexus/Toyota company as this Hyundai Equus is joint venture with Mitsubishi Debonair. By the way is this Hyundai equus sold in America? is not in Europe.

here:car_portal_pic_13008.jpg

Kinda... You can see some resemblences around the headlights and the windows to the 98-00 LS400. Thats a popular look for cars in Japan/Korea etc though, Toyota has several models themselves that look a lot like the LS.

I agree. I think it looks a lot like the Toyota Crown- which is not a bad thing.

I personally think this is a nice looking car. Too bad it is not available in the USA at this time. It looks even bigger than the Hyundai XG350.

Do we also have a photo of the rear of this fine car? :)

holy :censored: the rims look like the 02+ es300/330 models rims too don't they?

Wow a really good resembelance to the ls400. Of course im sure there's a $$$ difference ;) and quality too....

I don't like the directionals on the mirrors..eww

The lights look similar -- why would they put that turn signal below the bumper? Well, maybe because it is not a US car, we don't like that at all. I should say, I don't.

Anyway, looks more like a Crown Vic to me.

Gotta hand it to Hundai though, their quality is up on their JD Power reports and they are trying to make stylish cars. Good... for them.

The lights look similar -- why would they put that turn signal below the bumper? Well, maybe because it is not a US car, we don't like that at all. I should say, I don't.

Actually thats a Hyundai styling theme, several Hyundais have turn signals like that.

And if you notice- the Kia Amanti has the lights in the same place as well- click on link:

http://www.kia.com/amanti/amanti-photos.php

Not sure about the Hyundai here, but on this Kia, the front turn signals below the bumpers are LED lights. Very neat. If I am not mistaken, I think that Kia and Hyundai are the same car company now. At least both are Korean cars.

Actually thats a Hyundai styling theme, several Hyundais have turn signals like that.

Actually it was the Kia Amanti I was thinking of...

That car reminds me too much of the Jaguar S-Type with it's overall shape and the front end styling. I'm sorry but the Amanti looks like a Jaguar wannabe <_< . At least it doesn't have the J-gate shifter, LOL. :D

I for one am glad that they decided to make a large, luxury car. Does not really look that large on the photos there, but it is actually larger than the Lexus ES330.

The Kia Amanti is about 5 inches longer and about 500 pounds heavier. I did not know that. Interesting that the Kia Amanti also had higher "consumer" and "expert" ratings on this MSN autos site. Here is the link with those figures:

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/defa...100508&v=t99729

What I find even more interesting, is that this flagship Kia is even heavier than the LS430, by about 30 pounds and is nearly as long as the Lexus LS430.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/defa...99729&v=t100163

I had not really looked closely at the interiors of the LS430, or the Amanti, but really impressed on how nice the Amanti is on the inside. Here are photos of the interior of the $56,200 LS430 and the $25,500 Amanti.

Rear seat photos follow:

Sorry to get too far off topic....

post-4085-1109995672_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1109995694_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1109996385_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1109996459_thumb.jpg

The Kia Amanti is nice, but its nowhere near as high quality inside as the ES330 and let alone the LS430?!?!

They may look like high quality luxury vehicles, but they're not. When you sit in them and drive them they're obviously $25,000 cars, or even less.

True- very true. I guess what amazed me is the fact that they are as large and heavy as they are. I would have never guessed that they weighed as much as a LS430- and nearly as long, but when you look at the numbers on paper- they are indeed. Not sure, but at those weights, they must be built pretty solid.

I was also comparing the specs between the 2005 Lexus LS430 and the 2005 Acura RL. The LS430 is much longer than the RL, but the RL weighs about the same. Another interesting thing I discovered is that the RL has a much higher horsepower engine than the LS430, with the V8- (290HP for the Lexus vs. 300HP for the Acura), but the Lexus has higher torque. Does not appear it, but the base RL only weighs 6 pounds lighter than the LS430. I was also comparing the 04' RL, to the new 05' RL. I think it is a shame that they shortened the car so much. The car got smaller, but heavier and interior space shrunk in some areas, but interestingly, it increased in many areas, despite the shorter length. What was Acura thinking? This is supposed to be a LARGE luxury car- NOT a mid-sized sports sedan. The RL is nice, but it needs to have less of a "sporty" look and more of a luxury car look and make the car longer. The 04' Acura RL was as long in wheelbase and overall length as the LS430, but the 05' changed all of that.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/defa...100453&v=t97091

The Kia Amanti is nice, but its nowhere near as high quality inside as the ES330 and let alone the LS430?!?!

They may look like high quality luxury vehicles, but they're not. When you sit in them and drive them they're obviously $25,000 cars, or even less.

Agreed. When I first started noticing the Sorento, I was a bit suprised that it looked as nice as it did for its price. It does look like a much more expensive SUV than it actually is.

BTW- I was able to get a much closer look at an Amanti today, as it passed by me in the parking lot at the supermarket this afternoon. Even up close, it does not appear to be as large as it is at a first glance, but it is in fact a fairly large car, but still does not look as large as the LS430, but according to the figures, it is.

The kia serentro also looks very similar to the rx300

post-4085-1110173646_thumb.jpg