Where Is My Fm Modulator?

jadecuir

I'm troubleshooting the Pioneer CD player in my '90 LS400. The original dealer had the player installed as an option at original sale of vehicle. They said they used an outside stereo shop to do the install, and they are out of business now. I've been searching for schematics and installation guides on the web; so far, no luck. Any stereo gurus out there who remember this relic?

The FM modulator on the aftermarket 6-disc changer that I installed plugged into the antenna jack at the back of the stereo. Therefore, I would assume that if you removed the radio/climate control assembly you should be able to find it. Generally speaking they're a small, square, grey metal box with a cable and an output RCA jack (to the stereo) on one side and an input RCA jack on the other. I've seen six different installs and all the FM modulators looked the same.

What year is your LS? I might have a wiring diagram.

The FM modulator on the aftermarket 6-disc changer that I installed plugged into the antenna jack at the back of the stereo.  Therefore, I would assume that if you removed the radio/climate control assembly you should be able to find it.  Generally speaking they're a small, square, grey metal box with a cable and an output RCA jack (to the stereo) on one side and an input RCA jack on the other.  I've seen six different installs and all the FM modulators looked the same.

What year is your LS?  I might have a wiring diagram.

I have a '90 LS400. I think I found the modulator. At least the cable/jacks. I pulled out the radio/climate assy and found male & female RCA jacks laying back there. Plugged male into radio and ant. male into the other. Now when I turn on the CD changer, the radio signal goes dead. Unfortunately, now the CD control shows Error. It was tracking before I took it to the stereo shop for a look-see. I don't know what they did, but they only fiddled around in the trunk for about 5 minutes, and I heard one of the guys asking the other if he "reset" the unit. What usually goes bad on these things? The Changer is a Pioneer CDX-M70, s/n jk12197.