Need Original Subwoofer

jadecuir

Anyone out there know where to find an original pioneer sub for '90 LS400? P/n 86160-50010. It's a 2 ohm, 8" sub, probably in the 40 watt range. My son put a 100 watt, 8 ohm Kicker in, but the amp will barely drive it. I would like to find a used original or aftermarket comparable sub to balance out the system.

You can get a new sub but it will be super expensive. You can also get a used sub but I do not recommend that because they are almost always broken or ready to break. See the info here: http://www.lexls.com/subwoofer.html

The 4 ohm sub in that tutorial will be better than an 8 ohm sub. Basically, you're just trying to install the closest match possible. An 8 ohm sub is not the closest match ;). Unfortunately 2 ohm subs are very rare so the 4 ohm sub is the ticket.

You can get a new sub but it will be super expensive.  You can also get a used sub but I do not recommend that because they are almost always broken or ready to break.  See the info here: http://www.lexls.com/subwoofer.html

The 4 ohm sub in that tutorial will be better than an 8 ohm sub.  Basically, you're just trying to install the closest match possible.  An 8 ohm sub is not the closest match ;).  Unfortunately 2 ohm subs are very rare so the 4 ohm sub is the ticket.

Thanks for the info. I'll look for a 4 ohm, 40 watter.

john

Lexls, great info! I just found out about this forum yesterday and I already did the woofer adaptation that you recommended. It worked like a charm. Thanks a lot! I had to use a different woofer because the Kicker model has been discontinued. I used a CerwinVega. Jeez, I had forgotten what a difference that woofer made. Thanks again!

Hey jadecuir I dont know if ur still looking for that subwoofer?? But I recently purchased a '90 LS400 and im going to re-do the entire radio system, so all the stock speakers are trash as far as im concerned. The radio doesnt work in my car which is another reason im replacing it, plus im stereo fanantic. But I am pretty sure that it works and is in pretty good shape, so if ur still looking u could have mine free of charge. Just pay for the shipping and its urs. If u want i could send u a pic of it.

Lexls, great info! I just found out about this forum yesterday and I already did the woofer adaptation that you recommended. It worked like a charm. Thanks a lot! I had to use a different woofer because the Kicker model has been discontinued. I used a CerwinVega. Jeez, I had forgotten what a difference that woofer made. Thanks again!

Where did you get the CerwinVega, and how much was it? Do you have part/model # and specs?

Hey jadecuir I dont know if ur still looking for that subwoofer?? But I recently purchased a '90 LS400 and im going to re-do the entire radio system, so all the stock speakers are trash as far as im concerned. The radio doesnt work in my car which is another reason im replacing it, plus im  stereo fanantic. But I am pretty sure that it works and is in pretty good shape, so if ur still looking u could have mine free of charge. Just pay for the shipping and its urs. If u want i could send u a pic of it.

That would be great! Email a pic and where/how to pay shipping, and the money is on the way!

jadecuir@comcast.net

John DeCuir

Salinas, CA

The speaker I used was a Cerwin-Vega HED-8. This speaker does not come with the plastic piece that that is used to mount the speaker in the tutorial. You need to use the black molded plastic ring that is on the original speaker. I thought that it was glued on so I broke it when I was tryint to remove it. It is actually held together by four small screws. You need to remove the foam that is glued to the bottom of it to uncover the screws.

If you have any problems, send me a PM.

• 1 month later...

John,

Did you get the subwoofer from LexDiamond? I'm in the same boat (or should I say plane) as you are/were.

If not, LexDiamond, I'm interested if you still have it.

Anyone else got a spare sub they're willing to part with?

Ken

John,

Did you get the subwoofer from LexDiamond? I'm in the same boat (or should I say plane) as you are/were.

I recently bought an Audiobahn sub on ebay, and I'm going to see if it fits right now. Lexdiamond said his was trashed, when he got to looking at it. I'll tell you how the new sub works and what the number is if it fits and works. It's 2 to 8 ohms, depending on how you wire it.

John

Thanks. I look forward to hearing how you make out.

In a previous thread, somone mentioned finding an open box deal at a store, so that's what I've been trying to do, no luck yet. At the risk of sounding cheap, I'd like to get one for about $50.

Thanks. I look forward to hearing how you make out.

Well, I put in the Audiobahn AW831T sub the other day. You can wire it up for 2 to 8 ohms, parallel or series. I tried both ways, and parallel seems to work better, but it's still weak. I think the sub is capable of over 100 watts, and the little Pioneer Amp just won't drive it like OEM. I need to find a lower wattage sub, but they're hard to find nowadays. An aquaintance of mine owns a stereo shop, and he says all he sells anymore are these huge thumpers for the hiphop crowd.

hello everyone been reading the post trying to find that Cerwin-Vega sub cant seem to find it any where... any ideas? also if i just hooked up an audiobahn 8 in is there a way to power it by aftermarket amp so it can get feed the correct amount of power?

hello everyone been reading the post trying to find that Cerwin-Vega sub cant seem to find it any where... any ideas?  also if i just hooked up an audiobahn 8 in is there a way to power it by aftermarket amp so it can get feed the correct amount of power?

I'm sure that any car stereo installation shop can sell you an amp, and wire it up for you. ebay will save alot of money, but you'll have to do it yourself.

Did you wire it up this way?CarDomain___Woofer_Wiring_Guide.html

hey guys is it possible to hook up aftermarket to the stock 93 deck? cus if it is let me know guys i see a hella good deal for an 8 in sub... i read lexls's site and i understand he has a aftermarket deck... if i do replace the sub with an aftermarket sub thats needs more then 40 watts... would i have to change wires? i know i would have to change amp too

-joe

You can buy mine. I'm installing a Alpine system. Found someone who will make a faceplate to replace the trapezoid shaped piece of plastic that covers the Pioneer radio. I won't be using the subwoofer, which I had installed for $400 14 months ago because the old one burned out.

How much you want to pay?

Harry