Considering Buying Rx330

annec

I am considering buying the 2005 RX 330. I drove it three times and on the last drive noticed the accleration hesitation. I have been reading these posts. Do you really think it is a design flaw. I love the car and could probably get use to it but would like more opinons on it. One person said learn to drive it correctly. I read a review of the 2004 and they mentioned that this acceleration lag is because it is trying to pick up power. All other ride features get glowing reviews.

If you aren't in any hurry I'd maybe wait and see what they do for the 2006 model ... it sounds like it will be a new engine (RX 350 == 3.5 L) and probably will have the Satellite Radio option. That would just be me though.

Otherwise I notice the transmission hesitation and "snappiness" at time, but it's not a make or break issue for me. Does make me look at the X5 going by and wonder though :)

I bought my RX in September...one of the first 2005s off the line, and I'd never take anything else. There is hesitation occasionally, but it has never been an issue from a driving or safety standpoint. Without a doubt, it's the most comfortable ride I've ever had, and I test drove many other cars before settling on the RX.

i have 2 in the family one japenese and one canadian. both run great. the test drive models and the dealer loaners usually show these characteristics because they are usually only driven locally{alot of start and stopping} the vvti in the engine recognizes this and mimics it. the first day i got the rx i took it outon the highway and drove it a good 20 miles . they both have been great. good luck. i have always felt that as good as these chatrooms are they tend be hosptial waiting rooms, one person has something and everybody thinks there coming down with it.

Canadian cars don't have the hesitation problem though.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially because many carmakers (including BMW) have the same problem. Its not a design flaw, its just a drawback to the emissions criteria the car is designed around.

i have 2 in the family one japenese and one canadian. both run great. the test drive models and the dealer loaners usually show these characteristics because they are usually only driven locally{alot of start and stopping} the vvti in the engine recognizes this and mimics it. the first day i got the rx i took it outon the highway and drove it a good  20 miles . they both have been great. good luck. i have always felt that as good as these chatrooms are they tend be hosptial waiting rooms, one person has something and everybody thinks there coming down with it.

Thanks for your reply and everyone else too. I tend to agree with you. I love hearing from owners rather than just car reviews and we do tend to dwell on one aspect that might be a concern. I still like to hear everything about a car and really appreciate the reassuring words from owners.

Thanks again,

Anne

i have 2 in the family one japenese and one canadian. both run great. the test drive models and the dealer loaners usually show these characteristics because they are usually only driven locally{alot of start and stopping} the vvti in the engine recognizes this and mimics it. the first day i got the rx i took it outon the highway and drove it a good  20 miles . they both have been great. good luck. i have always felt that as good as these chatrooms are they tend be hosptial waiting rooms, one person has something and everybody thinks there coming down with it.

Do you use premium gas 91 octate?

Thanks,

Anne

I drive a 04 RX330 & the hesitation rarely occurs. The hesitation as was mentioned earlier is tied into tailpipe emissions & passing CAFE requirements as an ultra low emissions vehicle (ULEV). It is also referred as drive-by wire. In simple terms: you step on the gas pedal, it sends a signal to the ecu, the ecu decides what gear the transmission should be in, this a second or so to happen.

That's were the delay is. Also previoiusly mentioned other car manufactorers use the same system. We're not going to be able to get away from it.

I would even go as far to suggest that you wait for a 400h, as its transmission is a huge improvement over the traditional automatic. In addition, acceleration, ride, and quietness has been improved over the 330. Of course, getting almost double the city gas milage is icing on the cake, all for a few thousand more. 11,000 people who have deposited up to $1000 for this vehicle are probably not wrong!

Neither are the 10,999 who have asked for their money back!

Porsche is working on a Cayenne/Toyota hybrid. Maybe they'll offer you a good trade in value for your 911! You know what they say - If you can't beat em, join em!

No, I just think the performance level of my 2001 AWD RX300 is more than adequate, and I don't see the sense in trading even more improved fuel economy for V8 performance in the RX400h.

But I'm probably one of the only VOCAL ones that feel that way.

I dont know why it makes you hate the 400h though, just don't buy one. If you're not interested then the vehicle obviously wasn't designed for you. Many vehicles like the RX have two models one with a V6 and one with a V8, Lexus is just doing their higher performance version a little differently thats all.

Most people are happy with the V6 model but some want the V8, thats why its nice to have a choice.

No, I just think the performance level of my 2001 AWD RX300 is more than adequate, and I don't see the sense in trading even more improved fuel economy for V8 performance in the RX400h.

But I'm probably one of the only VOCAL ones that feel that way.

Well, I'm not trading in my 01 Corvette for a newer model (400HP)either, so I don't blame you for not wanting to upgrade. However, I certainly don't bash the C6 Corvette or those who are buying one. Our RX400h will be replacing a 152 HP Nissan Quest minivan.

I am considering buying the 2005 RX 330.  I drove it three times and on the last drive noticed the accleration hesitation.  I have been reading these posts.  Do you really think it is a design flaw.  I love the car and could probably get use to it but would like more opinons on it.  One person said learn to drive it correctly.  I read a review of the 2004 and they mentioned that this acceleration lag is because it is trying to pick up power.  All other ride features get glowing reviews.

My wife and I just bought a 2005 RX330 last Tues. I have been testing other vehicles like the MDX and an Odyssey and we are convinced that the RX330 is the best vehicle. I already own a 2001 IS 300, so I guess I'm biased to Lexus. The IS has an acceleration hesitation issue because of its electronic throttle. We haven't really experienced it in the RX though. My wife loves the RX. I don't know any other vehicle like it, I definitely recommend it.

I guess the "h" and optional v8 SUVs are not my thing either. Whose stupid idea was it that an SUV needs to be fast. Adequate acceleration and utility should be sufficient. I'm all for better gas milage, but with the extra money asked for an "h", you might never recover the difference. Where is the savings?

No hesitation problems in my Jap 05 RX, or in my 04 Acura TL which is drive by wire also.

Just because you dont care for it doesn't make it a stupid decision to make it, thats rediculous. Pleny other people are very interested in SUVs with more than adequate acceleration.

Buying the "h" isn't supposed to make your realize the difference, its an upgrade.

Sorry, but I quite firmly believe that sometime in the near future "history" will indicate that giving the RX400h V8 performance rather than sticking with the current level of V6 performance was one HUGE mistake.

Sure, there are enough "boy-racers" (CHILDREN??) out there to fluff up the sales initially, but I'm betting my money that an I4 with V6 perfromance will eventually win the day.

Toyota/Lexus did the right thing, absolutely, in not making the RX an offroader, but now screwed up the formula for further success.

Here on Maui "Island in Paradise", gas is almost $3.00.

They why do they continue to sell upgraded power Explorers, Trail Blazers, ML series SUVs, X5s, Jeep Grand Cherokees and the multitudes of other vehicles that have engine upgrades without them going unsold? Just because someone wants more power doesn't make them a boy racer or a child, I think my ES300 is vastly underpowered as is the RX330. Acceleration is "adequate" sure but you can feel the engine strain when you have a full load of passengers, when you're pulling hard to try and pass a truck, when you get up in the speeds towards 80-90MPH and trying to pass someone on the highway the car just doesn't have the power.

To a lot of people (including me) part of driving a luxury vehicle is effortless power. Thats one thing I love about the LS, the power is effortless, it does anything you want to to do without even showing any strain where my ES has to work sometimes. Long 7% grade? LS doesn't even downshift the ES has to work for example ESPECIALLY if you have a load.

I don't want power for the acceleration or red light racing aspect, I want it for the "effortlessness" it brings to common everyday driving. The ES and the RX aren't effortless in the power department by a long shot.