Tires

01GTB

Once again I need help with my mom's 95 SC400. She needs new tires. The Yokohamas she has have been pretty disappointing. I have heard good things about the Falken Ziex Ze-512, at $77 they seem like a bargain. I was also looking at Goodyear F1 GS-D3's, but at nearly $50 more per tire, they would have to be really great...and for my mom, great would mean a nice ride and long wearing :) I also was looking at a BFG g-Force Sport, but I honestly have not heard anything one way or the other about them.

If you have any other recommendations for tires for her car, I am all ears.

BTW, where are the Falken's built? Japan I am guessing? They are not made in China are they?

If you don't need all season tires and want the best tire for wet and dry non snow performance at the best price go with the Goodyear eagle F1 GS D3 tires. That is what I use and I've have used a lot of high performance tires over the years and these are the best in the rain and are very quiet. Tire rack has them on special for $119 and you should check to see if goodyear is giving additional rebates. Don't skimp on your tires. At $119 plus shipping and mounting costs these tires are a steal. Spending a couple of hundred dollars less on mediocre tires doesn't pay in the long run unless you plan on trading in your car in the near future. Remember the only thing between the car and the road is your tires. Consider the Goodyears a cheap performance upgrade in terms of improved grip and braking.

01GTB, I also own a 95 SC400 and purchased a pair of Falken Ziex Ze-512 size 225/55R16 95V back in October at www. vulcantire.com. So far so good with about 300 miles on them...The ride a lot smoother than the original Goodyear GT+4, I had on my car. Good luck with whatever tire you choose.

01GTB, I also own a 95 SC400 and purchased a pair of Falken Ziex Ze-512 size 225/55R16 95V back in October at www. vulcantire.com.  So far so good with about 300 miles on them...The ride a lot smoother than the original Goodyear GT+4, I had on my car. Good luck with whatever tire you choose.

Do me a favor and see if they have the country of origin on them. If you don't see it, see if you can make out what the first few letters (and/or numbers) are after "DOT". I would greatly appreciate it.

SCdriver, I understand what you are saying. A quality tire is important. I was under the impression that the Falken was a good tire, maybe not in the same league with the F1, but pretty decent. This car is strictly a daily driver. My mom is in her 60's and does no hot-rodding :D It would surprise me if this car has ever been over 85mph. She simply leaves it up to me to help her avoid getting ripped off.

Hi,

I have a 95 SC400 also with BF Goodrich BFGoodrich® g-Force T/A KDWS 225/55R16 for 111 per tire from Costco.com...these are by far the quietest tires for the money I would say. They also perform very well and last long. I have put 20K miles on them and have used about 30-40% tread. From that, I would expect to put about 35-40K miles on them, which what I would expect from a sports car with sports tires. You also get the added benefit of Costco quality and services, such as lifetime balancing, rotation, new valve stem, road hazard warranty, etc.

Falkens are made in Japan. They are a wholly owned brand of Sumitomo.

The F1's would be a waste of money for your mom. It'd be like hunting rabbit with a bazooka.

The falkens are also going to be quieter and ride better than the G-Force. (I've driven both)

Holla if you have any other tire questions. (I work for NTB. National Tire and Battery)

Thanks for the info everyone :) I will see which way she wants to go, but the Falkens seem like a good choice. She does have a Costco membership, so she may be interested in doing it that way.

Thanks,

Keith

We still have not bought the tires. A local dealer gave us a good price on the Falken, but claim none of their distributors have them right now.

One more thing. This is kind of hard to explain, but the car likes to wander with the tires that are on it. It will follow any little crack in the road. She hates it, so I am still researching trying to find the best tire for her. I really don't want to be responsible if they suck :whistles:

We still have not bought the tires. A local dealer gave us a good price on the Falken, but claim none of their distributors have them right now.

One more thing. This is kind of hard to explain, but the car likes to wander with the tires that are on it. It will follow any little crack in the road. She hates it, so I am still researching trying to find the best tire for her. I really don't want to be responsible if they suck  :whistles:

Tires will help that some, the stiffer sidewall tires tend to tramline more. But the biggest help is to get the car aligned, when you do have the mechanic toe IN the front wheels slightly, it will help the car track straiter and tramline less.

Tires will help that some, the stiffer sidewall tires tend to tramline more. But the biggest help is to get the car aligned, when you do have the mechanic toe IN the front wheels slightly, it will help the car track straiter and tramline less.

Thanks for the info :cheers:

One more thing. This is kind of hard to explain, but the car likes to wander with the tires that are on it. It will follow any little crack in the road. She hates it, so I am still researching trying to find the best tire for her. I really don't want to be responsible if they suck  :whistles:

If you still haven't bought the tires, consider the Yokohama Avid V4s.

I just put them on my 95 SC400 and they are terrific. Good handling, quiet and comfortable. 60K treadlife, available thru TireRack.

I too am in need of tires for my stock 1993 SC300. I have Goodyear HP's (discontinued) on there now. My front two have life yet but my rear tires are bald, so I need to decide QUICKLY. It has been suggested that I go ahead & get 4 matching tires .. and I am leaning that way.

My car just turned over 100K & I am now driving 500 miles per week to my new job in East Texas from Austin. I think my Goodyears are what makes my drive noisy .. so noise is an important factor, as well as wet traction and lasting ability .. & of course, value.

One salesman suggested I buy his 17" wheels so that I could get a bigger tire for better gas mileage, handling & comfort. I'm a little girl who just doesn't have an understanding for a bunch of mechanical jazz .. any words of wisdom???

I too am in need of tires for my stock 1993 SC300.  I have Goodyear HP's (discontinued) on there now.  My front two have life yet but my rear tires are bald, so I need to decide QUICKLY.  It has been suggested that I go ahead & get 4 matching tires .. and I am leaning that way. 

My car just turned over 100K & I am now driving 500 miles per week to my new job in East Texas from Austin.  I think my Goodyears are what makes my drive noisy .. so noise is an important factor, as well as wet traction and lasting ability .. & of course, value. 

One salesman suggested I buy his 17" wheels so that I could get a bigger tire for better gas mileage, handling & comfort.  I'm a little girl who just doesn't have an understanding  for a bunch of mechanical jazz .. any words of wisdom???

My suggestion, go somewhere else. I have a 92 SC with "17, the car will always ride better and be quieter with the stock "16's. He's and idiot. I work in a tire shop so I know a little bit about them. As far as your future tire choice goes, If comfort and durability or more important to you than overall levels of grip, I would suggest the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V. It is NOT a performance tire by any means, but it is rated to 149 mph, it is a Grand Touring Tire which focuses on noise and comfort over grip at the race track.

:D

I too am in need of tires for my stock 1993 SC300.  I have Goodyear HP's (discontinued) on there now.  My front two have life yet but my rear tires are bald, so I need to decide QUICKLY.  It has been suggested that I go ahead & get 4 matching tires .. and I am leaning that way. 

My car just turned over 100K & I am now driving 500 miles per week to my new job in East Texas from Austin.  I think my Goodyears are what makes my drive noisy .. so noise is an important factor, as well as wet traction and lasting ability .. & of course, value. 

One salesman suggested I buy his 17" wheels so that I could get a bigger tire for better gas mileage, handling & comfort.  I'm a little girl who just doesn't have an understanding  for a bunch of mechanical jazz .. any words of wisdom???

i would sugest your stock wheels with the Falken ZE512's. i have these tires and they and lexus are a match made in heaven.

Be wary of that salesman. You might get minimally better mpg but you would have to drive for a thousand years to make up the cost difference in buying 17 inch wheels and then adding new tires. Stick with your stock wheels and check tirerack.com's question form for your car and see what their ratings for wear,noise, comfort etc. come up with. I think wet traction is the most important safety factor. If you don't see anything you like check Toyo tires as I think they may be better than Kuhmos.

Tires get noisier as they wear down, and hanling etc also deteriorates. The guy with the 17"s is fibbing. They won't get better gas mileage, nor tire mileage, and they will likely be noisey.

Take the other guys' advice here, stick with the 16" wheels, and get a trusted brand and quality level in a nice touring tire.

• 1 month later...

I did a lot of research before I bought Mohawk Predators. I went with IS300 17" wheels and wanted the biggest tire I could put on it. I found 245/45-17s. The ride is nice and quiet. Mohawk is a subsidiary of Yokohama. I got the wheels and tires for just under $1,000.00.