Pcv Valve Location

1995_ES300

It's the on rear engine bank on the passenger side. It's right next to the intake manifold. It should have a tube coming into it on the side. The PCV looks like a upside down "L". Hope it helps. If not, I'll try to take a picture and post it for you.

ok, i was looking on the driver side by the intake tube.  And then I looked under actual plastic covering of the engine....is there anything in the way i need to look out for, or is it a pretty straightforward install?

straightforward, pop the old one out and the new one in!

glad people red my sig. you will be glad you change dit, better idle, slightly better fuel economy and a leak free engine will be your rewards.

do you know what a PCV valve does?

if not, i will be delighted to educate :)

PCV=Positive Crankcase Ventilation

An internal combustion engine ceates excess pressure when running, that can buld up, causing massive leaks by blowing seals, and if you let it go long enough, it can even do thinsg like blow your valve seals in your head, or a head gasket.

THe PCV valve prevents this by taking that excess air/oil/gasoline mix and putting it into the intake to be burned.

Without this ventilation, oil pressure will build up, causing things like cam seals and valve cover gaskets to leak, because the pressure has pushed itself out of the seals. Usually the cam seals go first, then the valve cover gaskets. Next to go are the main seals (front and rear main seal) the oil pump seal and then finally the heads, in the worst case scenario.

My engine had the original PCV valve at 138,000 miles. It broke off of the valve cover when it was tapped lightly with a small screwdriver.

my engine leaks from every seal it has except the heads. my vvalves are ok, but had i not gotten to it when i did, it would have been a blue smokey startup every morning.

ok, i just replace it..I had to remove the diagnostic control module in order to access the area with a better view of the valve. It was only 1 bolt, so easy.

It took about 10 minutes to replace (including examining the old valve). I already notice that my engine is ideling smoother...aside from fuel econ, i will have to see how that does after doing some more driving with the valve. Thanks again for the help!

ok, i just replace it..I had to remove the diagnostic control module in order to access the area with a better view of the valve.  It was only 1 bolt, so easy.

It took about 10 minutes to replace (including examining the old valve).  I already notice that my engine is ideling smoother...aside from fuel econ, i will have to see how that does after doing some more driving with the valve.  Thanks again for the help!

Excellent. :)

$#!+, I hit a curb yesterday from the ice and snow. I am NEVER taking the lex out in the snow again...it just doesnt handle the same as a caravan with a 1000lb stereo in the back. its gunna cost $960 to fix, only hit the curb at 10mph. god. Thankfullt it was only a curb, the tire did not pop, and there is no body damage. So far the bill consists of

New Wheel

New CV joint

New Lower Control Arm

and some other minor thing like a tie rod or something...wish me luck everyone :(

About the PCV valve... is it in the same location on a '98? I bought one off ebay for 99 cents. I'm kind of confused on the exact location of it. Thanks for the help....

I have a 98 Es 300 and just replaced my PCV Valve. I agree, it was a PITA to get too. I must note, after replacing my dirty PCV Valve, the car idles much better. Hopefully it will also improve my gas mileage. :D

:unsure:

I have a 98 Es 300 and just replaced my PCV Valve.  I agree, it was a PITA to get too. I must note, after replacing my dirty PCV Valve, the car idles much better.  Hopefully it will also improve my gas mileage.  :D

Is a aftermarket PCV valve acceptable? If so, which one is recommended?

With it costing $5-10, it can't be that much difference in part quality - IMO.

• 10 months later...

In my '01 ES, I noticed that the location around the PCV valve was pretty dirty, and that the rubber grommet seems hardened after longevity, so I knew it was time to get the PCV valve and rubber grommet.

I did that yesterday... bought a Purolator valve and a generic rubber grommet made for Toyota, all for less than $6 from Advance Auto Parts. I replaced the PCV valve and rubber grommet myself, which took me about 30-40 min because it was a little difficult trying to remove the old rubber grommet since it was hardened after many miles, and I was careful not to let any pieces from the grommet drop into the engine. Everything from the installation job was pretty easy, and I hope that I will see an improvement in the fuel mileage too :)

I decided that I would replace my PCV valve becuase I read "ArmyOfOnes'" little quote on the bottom of his signature....anyways I cannot find the PCV valve in the engine compartment. Can someone help me locate this thing??. :censored:

Here's your PCV:

post-10851-1137973405_thumb.jpg

post-10851-1137973482_thumb.jpg

post-10851-1137973534_thumb.jpg

post-10851-1137973585_thumb.jpg

My 2 cents...

** Cheap aftermarket PCV valves are a waste of time and money - they leak and are generally pieces of plastic crap, in my experience. Use a Toyota one, the difference in quality is worth the extra $$$.

** ALWAYS replace the rubber grommet and the rubber hose when you replace the PCV. They will both get hard and will leak over time if you leave them. The grommet can be a PITA to get out. Don't try to "save" it - just get a new one when you buy your OEM Toyota PCV. I just cut through one side of my old grommet, grab it with some pointy-nose vice grips, and rip it out of there. A bit of oil on the new one, pop it right in.

** It's amazing what a cheap and easy to change piece like this PCV (+ hose and grommet) can make to the operation of your engine. Well worth the minimal effort!!

tck...

I decided that I would replace my PCV valve becuase I read "ArmyOfOnes'" little quote on the bottom of his signature....anyways I cannot find the PCV valve in the engine compartment. Can someone help me locate this thing??. :censored:

Here's your PCV:

My 2 cents...

** Cheap aftermarket PCV valves are a waste of time and money - they leak and are generally pieces of plastic crap, in my experience. Use a Toyota one, the difference in quality is worth the extra $$$.

** ALWAYS replace the rubber grommet and the rubber hose when you replace the PCV. They will both get hard and will leak over time if you leave them. The grommet can be a PITA to get out. Don't try to "save" it - just get a new one when you buy your OEM Toyota PCV. I just cut through one side of my old grommet, grab it with some pointy-nose vice grips, and rip it out of there. A bit of oil on the new one, pop it right in.

** It's amazing what a cheap and easy to change piece like this PCV (+ hose and grommet) can make to the operation of your engine. Well worth the minimal effort!!

tck...

Holy old thread batman!

I agree with all the above statements, excpet that a PCV valve is a PCV valve. as long as its metal, it will last.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy F, It has been about a year since I have been on here (since I have had no problems with my car) and I was surprised to see this thread was even still floating around!

I guess it's true - - - The classics never go out of style!

tck...

• 1 year later...

Here's your PCV:

My 2 cents...

tck...

Holy old thread batman!

I agree with all the above statements, excpet that a PCV valve is a PCV valve. as long as its metal, it will last.

Excellent! I have read many posts with text description but still was not able to locate the PCV value. With these pictures now I know how the PCV valve looks like and where it is. Great pictures!