Do I Need An Alignment?

Gumart1

I know when the car leans or pulls to one side it is time for an alignment, but if I don't have my hands on the wheel, the car rides nice and straight. Problem is, the wheel doesn't sit straight, if that makes sense. Would an alignment correct this?

if it does not pull, more than likley your rear axle area is off. Either it is the rear toe-in/out or camber. If it were the front then you would notice the pulling action as it is front wheel drive....I had the same damn issue in another vehicle of mine but never had it fixed as I knew I was gettin a Lexus, lol.

If the car does not pull to any direction but the wheel is not straight it means the last peron to get an aligment was an idiot.

they are supposed to center the wheel after bouncing the car up and down to remove tension on the tires and then lock the wheel straight with a tool.

Then and only then can they do a proper alingment.

After all they are aligning the steering wheel to the wheels.

If the car does not pull to any direction but the wheel is not straight it means the last peron to get an aligment was an idiot.

they are supposed to center the wheel after bouncing the car up and down to remove tension on the tires and then lock the wheel straight with a tool.

Then and only then can they do a proper alingment.

After all they are aligning the steering wheel to the wheels.

An alignment may not solve your problem either.

Does the direction the wheel is off centered depend on the last direction turned?

What i mean is, when you turn right, is it off center to the right until you turn left?

This is Hystorosis, and it is a tell tale sign of a bad rack and pinion.

But get a proper alignment done first so you know for sure. This will be cheaper than a R&P repair/replacement.

and SK: an alignment involves alot more than just setting the wheel to be straight when the front wheels are, there is also camber angle, toe in and out, caster angle.

but you are correct in how they make sure the wheel ends up straight. they are supposed to lock the wheel in place with a special tool. i was simply stating there is more to an alignment that what is in your post. for good reference. :)

what, did you think i meant set is straight and leave the other axis off angle.

Remember one thing i am a technition not a shade tree so i think i already know that army.

It is not a sign of a bad rack either as a bad rack has sway and will go off a straight line with the slightest bump causing the need to corect and over correct continously.