My Car Shudders When Idle

PK_Lex

Thanks for the advise LEGENDICON... I will keep it in mind. I am off to test drive a C320, as I said, I am very close to throwing in the towel...

Yea i hear ya, im very close to doing the same, I am now looking into replacing the ECU as i am running out of options i have changed damn near everything I could think of. :cries: my car has been in the hands of the lexus dealer for a week now and they have no clue whats wrong, wow i didnt know this problem was that serious. I hope you guys have more luck than I had and please if any1 finds a selution dont run off post it for the rest of us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea i hear ya, im very close to doing the same, I am now looking into replacing the ECU as i am running out of options i have changed damn near everything I could think of.:cries: my car has been in the hands of the lexus dealer for a week now and they have no clue whats wrong, wow i didnt know this problem was that serious. I hope you guys have more luck than I had and please if any1 finds a selution dont run off post it for the rest of us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just traded mine in for $5k. With the problem it has, I did not want to try selling it. It was worth a lot more to me and could have easily driven many more miles. The shame is, I spent nearly $4500 since the beginning of this year trying to fix it :angry:

Good luck all!

Yea i hear ya, im very close to doing the same, I am now looking into replacing the ECU as i am running out of options i have changed damn near everything I could think of.:cries: my car has been in the hands of the lexus dealer for a week now and they have no clue whats wrong, wow i didnt know this problem was that serious. I hope you guys have more luck than I had and please if any1 finds a selution dont run off post it for the rest of us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just traded mine in for $5k. With the problem it has, I did not want to try selling it. It was worth a lot more to me and could have easily driven many more miles. The shame is, I spent nearly $4500 since the beginning of this year trying to fix it :angry:

Good luck all!

i had a similiar problem a couple of years ago and it turned out to be an ignition coil my 91 had 2 but my 98 has one for each plug i dont know which category yours falls into but it would have been worth checking out if i could have caught you earlier

Good luck all!

i had a similiar problem a couple of years ago and it turned out to be an ignition coil my 91 had 2 but my 98 has one for each plug i dont know which category yours falls into but it would have been worth checking out if i could have caught you earlier

Problem is that everything I "changed / fixed" is supposed to have fixed the problem - IACV, O2 sensor etc... I was not prepared to keep pouring money down the drain any more. Coils are not cheap... I would have been ready to spend any decent amount of money IF some one can give me a guarantee, but as you know, that is not possible...

thats true someone especially the dealer should have known to look for a loss of power either a vacuum,fuel or spark which is controlled by the coils let us know how you like the new car

thats true someone especially the dealer should have known to look for a loss of power either a vacuum,fuel or spark which is controlled by the coils let us know how you like the new car

Hey Sha what exactly was your 91 ls400 doing, can you explain the simptoms b/c if it is like you say real similar to my problem, I will definalty mention it to my dealer whos been working on my car for over a week now. I dont know if i Lucked out or what but my dealer worked somthing out with me where if he thinks he found the problem he'll replace the part but if it turns out it didnt fix it he'll take it out and the whole thing wont cost me a penny. instead of dumping money into part after part. hes on his 3rd possible solution now. but thanks alot for the heads up SHA, like i said if the problems are similar i will definatly relay the possible ignition coil to him. but i dont understand how that could be a factor since the car has the idle , studdering, stalling problems after the car is on ......... hummmmm

anytime i stopped at a light my car would be vibrating real hard the only thing that would slow it down was if i put it in neutral the vibration would shake the whole car i took it to the lexus dealer and they couldnt figure it out so they told that they would hane to diagnose it manually system by system the next day the called and told me that one of the ignition coils was bad it worked out real good for me though because it would have cost me $300 just to diagnose and another $300 to fix it but the guy just charged me for the repair i hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here are my first impressions on the C320 - The ride is sportier and tighter than the ES300 (Lexus is a bit of a “floater” as you know). It is a bit smaller inside the cabin, but I do not miss any space. I got the 4matic sedan, so hopefully I would be OK in winter. Fuel efficiency for my mixed driving has been 20 mpg (worse than ES300). But, I get over 27 mpg on freeways. The car is happier at higher speeds such as on a highway, it feels like the engine is not even trying... The controls inside the cabin are way too complicated with no apparent gain in functionality. It does have some features that can be called "decadent" though! GPS that came with the car sucks, I still use my Garmin iQue 3600 which is simply great! Mercedes is a head turner, I did not realize that until I bought it ;-) At this point, I just want something that will last, hope that the Mercedes reputation holds up. My review may sound negative, but I am reasonably satisfied. Remember that Lexus sets a pretty high bar for comparison... I guess, I will have the real scoop after 50k-100k miles…

Please note that Consumer Reports did not recommend C320, they had reliability concerns with the auxiliary/convinience controls of the car. They did like the handling and the drive. Then again, it did not do much good for having followed their advice last time...

Hey, just like dayaln over here I got too fed up with this ongoing problem with my lex LS400 so I traded it in. I Just picked up a new CADILLAC Deville DTS black on black. Wow this car is incredible. It has so many features i dont even know what to do with them. the ride is better than the lex, more power and handleing is twice as good as the lex, and between both these V-8's the cady gets better gas mileage. I thought The interior on was nice on the lex but the cady puts it to shame with more compfortable seats, softer leather, more room and user friendly features. Dont get it twisted I did like the lex alot except for the constant problems, but to me the cady just blows it away. And good luck trying to fix this studdering problem if u'z are still experiencing it because 2 months of mechanics not being able to fix mine was too much and i had to give up. so good luck