Test Drove My First Ls400

tealboy

I found a 2000 LS400, white, with Nav system (don't know how to tell if it is a platnium edition). It had 66,000 miles and the body seemed to be in nice shape with a few scuffs here and there, as expected for a 5 year old car.

It drove pretty nice by the cheap goodyear tires were worn and didn't handle well. $500 worth of tires could fix that. I also noticed a vibration, which is due to being out of balance or alignment (or possibly worse). The interior was in nice shape too. Not fantastic, but clean.

the car was a trade at a local jag dealer. They checked the car for safety, but did not service it or give it a thorough inspection. They were originally asking $28k for the car, but after sitting for almost two months, have dropped the price to $24k and are willing to take $22.5K.

I figure i will need to spend $500 on tires, another $100 on alignment and possibly brakes. I will also need to spend $125 to get the car inspected since i don't entirely feel comfortable with the inspection done by Jag, who knows little about lexus. Round numbers, call it $23,500. Not a bad deal, but I decided to pass. Though the miles are normal, I would prefer to have a lower mileage and cleaner car. I struggle to spend $23k on a car that i don't feel 100% comfortable with. I know the price is decent, but it doesn't feel quite right.

that sounds wise to me.

i agree, if the car doesn't feel 100% solid and you aren't 100% comfortable with it, i wouldn't by it either.

i'm the same way if i'm not completely, in all aspects, sure about the car i won't buy it.

there are many very clean Ls's out there, just be patient and the perfect one will come along for you to snag up

good luck

I found a 2000 LS400, white, with Nav system (don't know how to tell if it is a platnium edition).  It had 66,000 miles and the body seemed to be in nice shape with a few scuffs here and there, as expected for a 5 year old car. 

It drove pretty nice by the cheap goodyear tires were worn and didn't handle well.  $500 worth of tires could fix that.  I also noticed a vibration, which is due to being out of balance or alignment (or possibly worse).  The interior was in nice shape too.  Not fantastic, but clean. 

the car was a trade at a local jag dealer.  They checked the car for safety, but did not service it or give it a thorough inspection.  They were originally asking $28k for the car, but after sitting for almost two months, have dropped the price to $24k and are willing to take $22.5K.

I figure i will need to spend $500 on tires, another $100 on alignment and possibly brakes.  I will also need to spend $125 to get the car inspected since i don't entirely feel comfortable with the inspection done by Jag, who knows little about lexus.  Round numbers, call it $23,500.  Not a bad deal, but I decided to pass.  Though the miles are normal, I would prefer to have a lower mileage and cleaner car.  I struggle to spend $23k on a car that i don't feel 100% comfortable with.  I know the price is decent, but it doesn't feel quite right.

It's getting harder to find excellent LS's that are 5 or more years old.

I'm aware of a really nice low mile (31K) 99LS 400 available in west central florida. Email or PM me if you want additional info.