Dreaded Speedo Needle Cold Cathode Light

ToddLS400

My speedo needle light (cold cathode) is half illuminated right now. This is actually on the used replacement dash that I bought from TAP about a year and a half ago. My original dash (non moving speedo and tach) needle lights all work. Can I swap the needle/cold cathode lights into my working dash from my original dash? These dash needle issues are non stop. I may have to contact the almighty Jim Walker?

If you have two clusters, yeah, just combine working parts.  You can take the needles out and put them in the other one.

Thanks Lexls....What is the proper procedure for swapping needles? I thought I read somewhere that you could mess up the accuracy of the needle if you pull it out and reinstall it wrong? Something about a coiled spring? I'm not sure, I want to do this right. Thanks.

Don't believe everything you read on forums....taking the needle out of its assembly is wrong.

I did this a while ago so I may be missing some steps here....

-take off the power source board.

-unscrew black lens cover, unclip, and remove

-unclip and remove the side casing (the plastic ring that sits underneath the black lens.)

-flip it over so you can see the main circuit board

-unscrew the 6 brass screws that appear to hold the gas and temp gauges on.

-unscrew the two screws on each side for the tach and speedo

-unclip all harnesses for the speedo and tach and main circuit board

-remove main circuit board

At this point you should be able to pull off the cluster face, be careful. The gauges will still be attached to it. At this point I've forgotten. I think you just slide the speedo/tach assembly out of the cluster face. They come out from the back. Just don't pull the needle out of the needle assembly!!!

Don't believe everything you read on forums....taking the needle out of its assembly is wrong.

I did this a while ago so I may be missing some steps here....

-take off the power source board.

-unscrew black lens cover, unclip, and remove

-unclip and remove the side casing (the plastic ring that sits underneath the black lens.)

-flip it over so you can see the main circuit board

-unscrew the 6 brass screws that appear to hold the gas and temp gauges on.

-unscrew the two screws on each side for the tach and speedo

-unclip all harnesses for the speedo and tach and main circuit board

-remove main circuit board

At this point you should be able to pull off the cluster face, be careful.  The gauges will still be attached to it.  At this point I've forgotten.  I think you just slide the speedo/tach assembly out of the cluster face.  They come out from the back.  Just don't pull the needle out of the needle assembly!!!

Thanks Lexls...I will do some searches here as well. I appreciate your help.