Help With Door Lock Problem!

ynotIS

I have an 01 IS300

I go out to my car a couple of days ago, Sat Feb 19. Unlock my car w/ the key get in and drive to my girlfriends house I get out of the car and try to lock the doors w/ the key and it does not work I try a couple more times and nothing. I think it might need a new battery, I come out a half hour later and by force of habit I hit the unlock button once and it works, but it opens all the doors I think nothing og it. As I'm riding down the street I hear a noise and turn down the radio and my doors are unlocking for no apparent reason this happens three or four times then stops. I'm totally confused and have no idea what direction I should head in. I would like to avoid stealership at all costs. I found a thread last night about reseting the remotes and did that today but that did nothing. I also bought a new battery for it. As of right now it will let me unlock all the doors with one push of the button and it only works one time if i lock the doors again and try to unlock right away it doesn't work, also it sounds like when i unlock the doors from the inside of the car it sounds like it's unlocking them twice. Any an all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Tony

Thanks for the reply but I don't believe that is the problem.  If the button was sticking wouldn't the red light keep flashing.  Any other suggestions, has anyone else heard of anything like this happening?

Maybe you need to go to the dealer or get the info and have your remote reprogrammed.

Have you tried resetting the ECU? That might do it. It's easy enough to find out.

this same thing happened on another members car. It turned out that his battery was getting low (the one under the hood, not in the key). As odd as it may seem, when the battery starts to die, weird electronic things start to malfunction.

Go to the nearest Autozone and have them load test the battery.

If you have had the battery for over 4 years, you might want to think about replacement anyways. As this other member did, once he replaced it, the lock problems went away.

steviej

Interestingly enough I just had the battery (under the hood replaced) less then two weeks ago. Could that have something to do with it?

Someone from is300.net said On the drivers lock cylinder ( the only door with one) there is a sensor on the backside of the lock. it sends a signal to unlock or lock all the other doors when the key is used in the lock cylinder. they are made of thin plastic, and the clips that hold it on sometimes break off. if it broke off in a lock or unlock postion, it would continuosly send a signal to lock/unlock the doors. Does that make sense to you guys? I'm going to pull off the panel and check that.

Your new battery could still be bad. I'd think it's easier to check that first, before taking off the door panel.

Also during the battery installation, something could have been shorted or a fuse blown. Have you checked all that and reste the ECU?

I didn't find any TSB listed for door lock problems for 2001 IS300, so it must be rare if the sensor tab has broken.

WHat red light  are you talking about the one on the dash or the key?

As i don;t know of one on an OEM lexus key.

There is a red LED on the OEM Lexus key. When you hit any of the buttons the light flashes. If you hold down on the unlock button, the key will continue to flash at a slow rate.

Check all the door lock actuators. Make sure all 4 door lock actuators cycle when the lock switch is used to lock and unlock. Chances are you have one door lock actuator that sticking/failing. Listen to each door closely as someone else cycles the master switch from the drivers door. When you find the one that doesn't work, replace it. Multiplex communication errors will occur when actuators fail.

If the actuators not working then whichever door it is should not lock or unlock? right? I checked that and they all seem to be working the only thing is the actuator in the drivers door shoots off twice when I unlock.

Does that help in diagnosing my problem?

The driver's door cycles twice with the remote or door switch? Is the door open when this happens? Check you ignition cylinder. Does it make a chime when the door is open and the key is out? Email me

The driver's door cycles twice with the remote or door switch? Is the door open when this happens? Check you ignition cylinder. Does it make a chime when the door is open and the key is out? Email me

It cycles twice either way w/ the remote or the switch, open or closed.

It does not chime w/ the door open and the key out.

I tried to email you but the board said I couldn't if you want to email me back

it's ynot6399@hotmail.com

Thank you