Problem Starting Lexus Sc300

Corliss4254

:( Can anyone advise? If my Lexus SC300 sits more than 3 days, it won't start and I have to jump it off. Yes, I have replaced the battery and it runs beautiful "everyday' if I drive it everyday. It is a 1997 but "only" has 45K miles. I don't drive it everyday. I had it checked and they stated nothing wrong with the alternator. Any suggestions?

:( Can anyone advise? If my Lexus SC300 sits more than 3 days, it won't start and I have to jump it off.  Yes, I have replaced the battery and it runs beautiful "everyday' if I drive it everyday.  It is a 1997 but "only" has 45K miles.  I don't drive it everyday.  I had it checked and they stated nothing wrong with the alternator.   Any suggestions?

First things first...

1. What kind of sound does it make when you turn the key?

2. Did you check for corrosion on battery posts and terminals? Are they clean?

3. Is your battery dead? Turn on your headlights. Do they turn on? Interior lights work?

:( Can anyone advise? If my Lexus SC300 sits more than 3 days, it won't start and I have to jump it off.  Yes, I have replaced the battery and it runs beautiful "everyday' if I drive it everyday.  It is a 1997 but "only" has 45K miles.  I don't drive it everyday.  I had it checked and they stated nothing wrong with the alternator.   Any suggestions?

First things first...

3. Is your battery dead? Turn on your headlights. Do they turn on? Interior lights work?

First things first...

Thanks for responding.

1. The cars sounds terrific. The same way as when I purchased it a few years ago.

2. There is no corrosion. Car looks spanking brand new - only 45k miles on the car. It runs better than a new car. Only goes dead if I don't crank it "every" day. On the 3rd day, it is dead until I jump it off. I have not taken to a dealer yet...but took to Sears and they put it on a machine and said everything checked out. I even got a new battery again... same thing happened.

3. No the battery is not dead. I purchased a new battery a while back because it was doing the same thing with the previous battery. The headlights, interior lights and everything works.

Any more ideas or suggestions.

You have a drain on the battery when the car is not running. Any good shop should be able to tell you where the drain is coming from.

:( Can anyone advise? If my Lexus SC300 sits more than 3 days, it won't start and I have to jump it off.  Yes, I have replaced the battery and it runs beautiful "everyday' if I drive it everyday.  It is a 1997 but "only" has 45K miles.  I don't drive it everyday.  I had it checked and they stated nothing wrong with the alternator.  Any suggestions?

First things first...

Thanks for responding.

1. The cars sounds terrific. The same way as when I purchased it a few years ago.

2. There is no corrosion. Car looks spanking brand new - only 45k miles on the car. It runs better than a new car. Only goes dead if I don't crank it "every" day. On the 3rd day, it is dead until I jump it off. I have not taken to a dealer yet...but took to Sears and they put it on a machine and said everything checked out. I even got a new battery again... same thing happened.

3. No the battery is not dead. I purchased a new battery a while back because it was doing the same thing with the previous battery. The headlights, interior lights and everything works.

You have a drain on the battery when the car is not running.  Any good shop should be able to tell you where the drain is coming from.

First things first...

Thanks for responding.

When you say really good shop, should Sears have been able to tell me because they stated they could not find anything. When you say drain on the battery, does that mean the battery is bad. I am so frustrated because I have taken it so many times. What's an example of what could be draining the battery?

Corliss

Ok this should apply to any car with a battery drain...

Disconnect a battery cable. Hook a 12v test light between the cable and post, if the the light glows brightly, you have a drain. Point of note: the SCs use a "soft" dome light circuit, which slowly shuts down the dome after you close the door. Make sure the door is closed BEFORE you do this or you'll get a false reading. Another thing to point out is the computer will attempt to juice up as well, this will cause the test light to glow brightly for a second then go off, which is normal. SO now the light is on with the door shut and it's been over a couple seconds. Now start pulling fuses out, one at a time and see if the light goes out. If you need to check fuses inside, pull the dome light fuse, so you don't get a false read. When it does, check that circuit for a component on. Most common drains? Glove box light on, stuck relay, a courtesy light that is on that can't be seen in the day. Alternators can cause a drain, but it's remote. Check that trunk light...

You have a drain on the battery when the car is not running.  Any good shop should be able to tell you where the drain is coming from.

First things first...

Thanks for responding.

When you say really good shop, should Sears have been able to tell me because they stated they could not find anything. When you say drain on the battery, does that mean the battery is bad. I am so frustrated because I have taken it so many times. What's an example of what could be draining the battery?

Corliss

Start pulling out bulbs from everywhere, and see where its coming from

Disconnect a battery cable. Hook a 12v test light between the cable and post, if the the light glows brightly, you have a drain. Point of note: the SCs use a "soft" dome light circuit, which slowly shuts down the dome after you close the door. Make sure the door is closed BEFORE you do this or you'll get a false reading. Another thing to point out is the computer will attempt to juice up as well, this will cause the test light to glow brightly for a second then go off, which is normal. SO now the light is on with the door shut and it's been over a couple seconds. Now start pulling fuses out, one at a time and see if the light goes out. If you need to check fuses inside, pull the dome light fuse, so you don't get a false read. When it does, check that circuit for a component on. Most common drains? Glove box light on, stuck relay, a courtesy light that is on that can't be seen in the day. Alternators can cause a drain, but it's remote. Check that trunk light...

:( Can anyone advise? If my Lexus SC300 sits more than 3 days, it won't start and I have to jump it off.  Yes, I have replaced the battery and it runs beautiful "everyday' if I drive it everyday.  It is a 1997 but "only" has 45K miles.  I don't drive it everyday.  I had it checked and they stated nothing wrong with the alternator.  Any suggestions?

First things first...

Thanks for responding.

Corliss

Start pulling out bulbs from everywhere, and see where its coming from

GREAT!!!  I WILL TRY THIS.  THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. 

First things first...

Thanks for responding.

Corliss