Strange ?

Jeff

I have a 95 SC400 with 92K miles. Just had the 90K service done and the drive belt replaced at that time. The belt ordered for the 95 is to large for my car. Tried a second belt part # (6PK2275 Bando) and it was to large as well (way off the tension scale). Talked to Bando engineer and he could not help other than to say that 98 and up had a smaller belt size (2270mm) and maybe try that. I did and it is perfect for my 95. WHAT GIVES ???? Could I have a 98 engine ?? has this happened to anyone else ?? How can I tell what year engine is in my car ?? This is a mint car with one previous owner and no damage ever. :blink:

:unsure: your belt tensioner may be not so strong any more.

The belt tensioner had the correct belt 1/4 in. past the last mark on the right which would indicate either the tensioner had to strong a spring or the belt was stretched or long. I cant see a tensioner spring getting stronger over time ??

Get the s/n from your engine and chat with Lexus. These numbers are matched so they will be able to tell you if you are dealing with a replacement engine.

:unsure: your belt tensioner may be not so strong any more.

The belt tensioner had the correct belt 1/4 in. past the last mark on the right which would indicate either the tensioner had to strong a spring or the belt was stretched or long. I cant see a tensioner spring getting stronger over time ??

on the 2jz, the ps pump, alternator, and ac compressor all are adjustable slightly in their brackets. I'm sure one or all of those are adjustable slightly with 1uz as well. Any and all of these can produce the effects. Regardless, it doesn't sound like a big deal.

Hold on what are you talking about?

A timing belt?

or a acessory belt for the ac alternator or somethign else?

Not a big deal, It's the outside drive belt, not the timing belt. The mechanic said there is no adjustment to any of the accessories that the belt drives so I'm just wondering why my 95 car does not or cannot use the belt that's called for on my 95 car. I had to drop the diameter of the belt by 5mm and it fits perfect with the tensioner running in the proper marked range. The new smaller belt is the 98 SC400 part number and is 2270mm in length. All I've seen for a 95 is 2275mm or 89.5in. Just things that make you go hmmm.