Key Won't Come Out Of Ignition - Steering Wheel Ok

VRV

1994 LS400

2nd time my remote key has stuck in the ignition in a month. Guess after a 180K of starts and stops - the key may be worn out. I checked it against the spare and it did indeed look slightly different (worn) around the "lands and groves." It came out ok the last time and I knew about the steering wheel position, so that is not the deal. Now it is stuck in there for more than a day. Been locking the car with the spare key, but when shutting off the ignition, in park, the key won't go to the lock/remove location (all the way to the left) - It will still start the car, and thank the Lexus God, shuts off the ignition. We just have to leave the key in the vehicle and use the other key to lock it. If I get the remote key out again, I will only use it for a remote lock and get a new key cut for the ignition. I think the ignition switch is ok as the spare key worked pretty smooth in it, albit the remote key was a little crunchy in spots. Yea, I know, dumb a_s for using the key again after I got it out the first time.............but this is where I am at now.

I checked to see if the gear shift lever was going all the way forward and if there was some crud in the way of allowing it to go all the way forward....What other switch or device could be interfering with the removal of the ignition key after the car is shut off?????????? If this turns out to be big $$$$ - I am going to get a Scion XB!!!!!!!

Cheers Vic

Try slamming and/or holding the gear shifter all the way forward then removing the key.

It is the lock inside the lock holding on to the key which is only activated once the key is turned and/or the gear selector is not fully in park.

Try spraying a small amount of wd 40 in the ignition tumbler and workign the key around for a minute.

good luck

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

It may not help, but have you tried "rocking" the steering wheel from side to side? I am not sure if it is the same problem, but shortly after I got my LS400, I was "trying" to start my car at the fuel pumps, only to discover that the ignition had locked. I used extra force and it finally turned, but it was not until later that I discovered that I was slightly pulling down on the side of the steering wheel, which was locking the ignition tightly. Later I had to be sure there was no pressure on the steering wheel lock, or else the ignition would not turn. Seems to be a common issue on the early 90s Toyota/Lexus. A old friend of mine originally from overseas that used to work with me came back in work one day and said her ignition would not turn. I knew straight away what it was- same thing that had happened to me- the steering wheel lock had the ignition lock tight and wouldn't you know it- she had/has a 1993 Toyota Tercel. Neat little ice blue 2-door car- with only 60K original miles in amazing condition. Still like brand new and a nicely equipped model- with automatic and A/C, as well as some other little neat features.

Sorry- where did I get sidetracked? :unsure: :D

1994 LS400

2nd time my remote key has stuck in the ignition in a month.  Guess after a 180K of starts and stops - the key may be worn out.  I checked it against the spare and it did indeed look slightly different (worn) around the "lands and groves."  It came out ok the last time and I knew about the steering wheel position, so that is not the deal.  Now it is stuck in there for more than a day.  Been locking the car with the spare key, but when shutting off the ignition, in park, the key won't go to the lock/remove location (all the way to the left) - It will still start the car, and thank the Lexus God, shuts off the ignition.  We just have to leave the key in the vehicle and use the other key to lock it.  If I get the remote key out again, I will only use it for a remote lock and get a new key cut for the ignition.  I think the ignition switch is ok as the spare key worked pretty smooth in it, albit the remote key was a little crunchy in spots.  Yea, I know, dumb a_s for using the key again after I got it out the first time.............but this is where I am at now.

I checked to see if the gear shift lever was going all the way forward and if there was some crud in the way of allowing it to go all the way forward....What other switch or device could be interfering with the removal of the ignition key after the car is shut off?????????? If this turns out to be big $$$$ - I am going to get a Scion XB!!!!!!!

Cheers Vic

Tried the WD and Park deal and now the key won't turn in either direction. Gonna get a locksmith etc., out here tomorrow and take care of it. Now the LS has stranded us (at least it is in front of the house) but it could have been 150 miles away, like where we were just a few hours ago. Time to part company with this vehicle - have sunk plenty of $ on repairs - could have purchased another car for the amount of repairs. It rides nice, has plenty of power, but too many bells and whistles and they don't sound so good after time.

Thanks for all the help on the forum - but should be rid of this vehicle this week, that is if i can get it to start.....Bottom line - if it strands you and it ain't your fault - it is time to part company with it.

Cheers

Vic