Advise Needed Asap On Purchase Of Sc300

Fellow Lexus owners,

I own a 1st gen. gs300 and want to replace my stinkin Mercedes with another Lexus.

I located a 1998 sc300 with 48,000 miles and if it passes carfax and Lexus dealer evaluation ($90.00 mech.review ). I would like to purchase it if the price is a very good deal. It appears it might be from on line reviews in NADA, Kelly Blue book,edmunds.

The sc3000 in question is green,has traction control, spoiler, upgraded wheels, moonroof, Nak.cd,heated leather seats, and is reported to be in VG condition. I am going to NYC this coming week to pick it up for Lexus dealer inspection.

I would be the third owner the first was in Texas and the second is in NY City where the car was bought from a non Lexus dealer. That fact is a concern why was a Texas Lexus shipped to non Lexus dealer in NY City for resale is that a common practice? The second owner said she bought it a year and a half ago for $19,000 with 40,000 miles on it.

Are better deals then this common ? or should I take the plunge now. I value your input. My plan if purchase is to change all fluids belts and have it tuned up.

Thanks for your valuable feedback it is much appreciated

Scott

That does seem to be a reasonable price.  That is almost as low as the trade in price.  I am cynical.  It almost seems too good.  Be sure you check it out very well.  There could be something wrong.

Tom

Tom, Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have the concern I assume that the dealer examination would turn up any problem. Since I own the 1st gen gs300 its the same engine in the sc300 so my test drive will give me a frame of refrence as to engine performance.

responces like yours are helpful as the land of the SC is new to me and I need to here from experenced folks like you thanks again Scott

It is a great deal. But I must say, the engine is not quite the same. It is still the 2jz-ge, yes. But, the 1998 will have vvti - I think. This means weaker conneting rods. It's really no problem until you want to run 12 pounds of boost. So it will be a great car for the price. Even if you have to replace a few things.

It is a great deal.  But I must say, the engine is not quite the same.  It is still the 2jz-ge, yes.  But, the 1998 will have vvti - I think.  This means weaker conneting rods.  It's really no problem until you want to run 12 pounds of boost.  So it will be a great car for the price.  Even if you have to replace a few things.

Yeah, but don't the GS's have VVTI too?

I've got a 98 SC300, and it had 103k on it when I bought it. I bought it for $12k, and that was a hell of a deal. I believe NADA on the car is 16,500. I would say that this car is definitely a deal as well.

The 98 and up 2JZ-GE engines all had the VVt-i; It makes a big difference on low end torque. Maximum torque comes on at 4,000 rpm, where the previous engine brought it at 4,900 rpm. This is the exact same motor that is in the NEWER GS300's and the IS300.

This car will be a bit quicker than your older GS300, and more cozy to drive. I'd say go for it.

Jameson

Cars trade hands through auctions all the time. Carfax should show this if the title was transferred. If you're worried you could get an extended warranty although that's a crap shoot. Sounds like a good deal though.

JD

thanks auctions trade cars to places as far away as texas to NY i wonder how the dealers know what they are buying do they go to texas to bid carsi wonder

Thanksagain Scott