Lowering Gs430

I posted some images recently of my car, having had the Prolex-UK eyelids fitted.

And, what was really noticeable to me, was that my car really needs to be lower :crybaby:

It would appear that small children have setup a climbing frame in my wheelarches, and play there during the day :crybaby:

Was chatting about this with LOC's resident photoshop guru (scarface on LOCUK), and he lowered the car.

So we went from

Current, small children infested version

43600016_G_001.sized.jpg

Photoshopped lower

doctored_lowered_2.jpg

Its not the best of shots to use for this exercise, but it was the best one I had lieing around.

The second shot looks pretty much like what I want.

I'm not a fan of the "slammed to the floor" look - so not thinking of going really low on coilovers.

Whats the concensus on a GS430 on Eibach / TTE springs?

I had these on my IS, and was very happy - nice drop, and not too much impact on the ride quality.

Can I expect the same on the GS?

Is the 'chop above roughly right for a set of springs do you think?

The eibachs are nice

but for a lexus quality drive i would get TEIN SS coilovers.

Lots of adjustability if ever needed.

It drives like a dream you cannot belive your car is as low as it will be and still drive so smooth.

It really is an amazment for anyone who has the teins .

Anyone any experience of L-Tuned springs and shocks?

just found these?

L-Tuned Shocks - $169

L-Tuned Springs - $219

I had the L-Tuned setup a couple of years ago but I remember them riding pretty good. Pretty sporty without losing too much of the ride quality. I had them with the same wheels you have now and the combo was pretty good.

Since you have the sports version, you might want to check into what shocks you have. Lexus had the OEM setup and had TRD come up with the sportier L-Tuned setup. They may have just went with these and put them on the Euro sports version (and possibly the US SportDesign GS300s). I am just speculating here though. BUT, if you already have upgraded shocks, you might be able to get away with just putting in the L-Tuned lowering springs. These will from you about 1.25" in front and 1" in the rear.

With all that said, I have Tein CS now and love them. :D

Hey Neo - not seen you aruond for a while!

Since you have the sports version, you might want to check into what shocks you have. Lexus had the OEM setup and had TRD come up with the sportier L-Tuned setup. They may have just went with these and put them on the Euro sports version (and possibly the US SportDesign GS300s). I am just speculating here though. BUT, if you already have upgraded shocks, you might be able to get away with just putting in the L-Tuned lowering springs. These will from you about 1.25" in front and 1" in the rear.

I dont know what the UK setup is - may be Colin does?

With all that said, I have Tein CS now and love them

do you have any issues with noise with these?

We have had a fair few UK guys complaining about noise from the mounts. This was with Tein Flex on their IS's.

Never heard of an issue of noise here but if you do not lube all the rubber during install it will get noisy over time.

I recommended the SS over the cs as you want it a touch lower and more luxury than sport. The SS is made for more lowering but not for track days ,the CS handle better but give up some softness to offer it to you.

Most of all trd / l sportline suspension are always kyb shocks unless otherwise stated and eibach conservativly dropped springs. They usually are cheaper buying them yourself and putting it together without the names.

Noise comes from the pillowball upper mounts which neither the CS or SS use :)

CS is meant to be better comfort than stock. Not sure if they would be too soft for a UK vehicle. UK vehicles are too soft anyway but are at least stiffer than US models.

SS seem to be for the US only so wouldn't be able to import from Japan.

The main problem I find with the stock vehicle is very harsh even over the smallest bump/hole in the road at low speed. You think you have gone over a massive crater with the crash you get when in most other vehicles you would hardly feel it.

Lexus really done well to make a vehicle that is too floaty at speed and make the ride poor at low speed - still not as bad as the SC430. Suspension is the main reason the GS and SC get such bad reviews in the UK, the cars are just not set up for European driving style/roads.

We have had a fair few UK guys complaining about noise from the mounts. This was with Tein Flex on their IS's.

Been kind of busy but I always try to find some time to check in. I don't always have time to post though. :(

Colin is dead on with the noise issue. The metal pillowmount in the Flex better connects the driver to the road. It does give better feedback. The downside with road feedback feel is that noise comes with it. When I went from Flex to CS, I did not like the drive experience since the CS feel was so muted. This was good noise-wise but bad for drive feel. After some driving though, I got used to it and feel that the CS is a better match for a luxury car. The handling is still pretty good. It is deceptive since there is less feedback. Deceptive or not, though, the Flex is definitely a better road carver.

As for the SS, I am surprised that it would drive as nice as the CS. I guess it depends how they build the shocks portion as there is no specs on this for comparison. Looking at the spring rates, though, the SS are pretty stiff. The springs are along the lines of the old HAs (and even stiffer in the rear) which were stiffer than the Flex. I can't imagine it riding as stock as the CS can. I can't say for sure, though, as I've never been in a car with the SS.

It would be quite a feat for Tein to build a coilover that is cost effective (vs the Flex and CS), carves up the road (based on the spring rate), while riding like OEM (depending on how the shocks are valved). I can give them the first two points but I will need to test out an install to see if they were able to achieve the last since the shocks would also have to overcome the stiff spring rate. I would doubt it, though, since I think everyone would be on SS instead and I have not seen a movement to that with other GS owners.

• 3 weeks later...

Been kind of busy but I always try to find some time to check in. I don't always have time to post though. :(

Colin is dead on with the noise issue. The metal pillowmount in the Flex better connects the driver to the road. It does give better feedback. The downside with road feedback feel is that noise comes with it. When I went from Flex to CS, I did not like the drive experience since the CS feel was so muted. This was good noise-wise but bad for drive feel. After some driving though, I got used to it and feel that the CS is a better match for a luxury car. The handling is still pretty good. It is deceptive since there is less feedback. Deceptive or not, though, the Flex is definitely a better road carver.

As for the SS, I am surprised that it would drive as nice as the CS. I guess it depends how they build the shocks portion as there is no specs on this for comparison. Looking at the spring rates, though, the SS are pretty stiff. The springs are along the lines of the old HAs (and even stiffer in the rear) which were stiffer than the Flex. I can't imagine it riding as stock as the CS can. I can't say for sure, though, as I've never been in a car with the SS.

It would be quite a feat for Tein to build a coilover that is cost effective (vs the Flex and CS), carves up the road (based on the spring rate), while riding like OEM (depending on how the shocks are valved). I can give them the first two points but I will need to test out an install to see if they were able to achieve the last since the shocks would also have to overcome the stiff spring rate. I would doubt it, though, since I think everyone would be on SS instead and I have not seen a movement to that with other GS owners.

Having had Tein Flex, Tein CS and Eibachs...

Hands down the TEIN CS are the best option..

• 1 year later...

Hey neo,

I just got the tein ss on my gs300 my personal opinion it is alittle stiff i live in the city where the roads are f';.ed up i am comparing to the factory ride. Don't grt me wrong i love them over stock im just thinking of getting softer springs. they really feel great on the high way. I was looking into the cs befor the ss, I was looking for a factory ride and to even the front with the rear being though i have a stereo sytem and the car use to sit uneven. the ss gave me the even front to rear but not quit the factory ride. Do u think going from 780lb front, and 670lb spring rate in rear to the 670lb front, and 560lb rear spring rate would give me closer to a factory ride, just wondering if it would make a noticable difference. :huh:

Hey neo,

I just got the tein ss on my gs300 my personal opinion it is alittle stiff i live in the city where the roads are f';.ed up i am comparing to the factory ride. Don't grt me wrong i love them over stock im just thinking of getting softer springs. they really feel great on the high way. I was looking into the cs befor the ss, I was looking for a factory ride and to even the front with the rear being though i have a stereo sytem and the car use to sit uneven. the ss gave me the even front to rear but not quit the factory ride. Do u think going from 780lb front, and 670lb spring rate in rear to the 670lb front, and 560lb rear spring rate would give me closer to a factory ride, just wondering if it would make a noticable difference. :huh:

Unfortunately, I don't think it will. Most of the ride quality feel will come from the shocks and not the springs. If you go to softer springs, you will get worse handling while not alleviating as much with the ride quality. From what I hear, the SS are just stiff, unfortunately. I think you would be much better off looking for a used set of CS since the CS are pretty much discontinued now.

where can i get a set of used ones @ and how much is the difference from a set of new ones, i think the new tein will be out in a couple months but they dont know what the price will be, and if i do get the cs's how could i get rid of the ss is there anybody on here interested in the ss i've only had them on my car for 2 weeks and drove 235 miles on them.