Subwoofer Replacement

What's up! I am constantly back and forth with my subwoofer design. Has anyone with the Nak system in 99-00 GS400 changed their 10" subwoofer in the rear deck? In a previous forum, I talked about how I changed my subwoofer and custom built a sealed enclosure and mounted it to the rear deck around the subwoofer. The enclosure is .80cuft. I am currently using a Infinity sub. It sounds okay, but I am considering changing to a JL Audio. I recently heard a Kicker Comp 10" in a GS. This kicker subwoofer can be used in infinite baffle design, and that it how it was used in this lexus. It sounded pretty darn good for a free air configuration. Of course I like enclosures because of more power and more accurate bass, but I also love my stock look. If anyone knows about specific subs that work well in free air, I would like to hear your recommendations. I know Infinity has a Kappa model that can be used. JL Audio also has a marine sub that I hear sounds good. Oh yea, I installed a Kenwood mono sub amp that will be pushing whatever sub design I decide to go with.

here's my adventure in replacing the sub in my 99 gs300 that may be helpful in getting the sound you want...

i first replaced the factory sub with a jl in my '99 first. it sounded much better and i got better bass out of it, but it wasn't satisfactory. one problem is the gs audio system sounds damn good (coming from a car audio enthusiast that used to spend thousands on car audio), but it also has built in "bass control" and it lowers your bass at higher volumes to protect the sub. so when you turn it up your sub will never be as loud proportionately at higher volume. also, i listen to all kinds of music from jazz, rock, pop, rap, electronica, and everything in between and the biggest problem i have is being able to control the amount of bass/boom for a specific type of music.

in the end the the solution came in a 12" solobaric kicker sub in it's own enclosure, with the original sub taken out to allow for air movement to the cabin, to help feel the bass. there are plenty of other subs out there, but this one has a dual coil and according to my installer acts almost as two subs in this fashion and is convenient for saving space. a viper amp in the trunk, with separate volume control mounted under the dash, so i can easily control sub volume according to the type of music.

i couldn't be happier for several reasons. one, it sounds great. two, it's not permanent and can easily be put back to stock and taken out. that way, when i can get my new 06 gs it will go in there. three, the separate sub volume is a must for correct sound control, as i listen to all kinds of music and take 5 from dave brubeck wouldn't sound very good with the sub set for a pounding trance song from dj tiesto. four, the sub enclosure fits great on the trunk "shelf" against the rear seats and takes up minimal trunk space. lastly, it wasn't that expensive to round out the sound system. forgot the actual amount and would have to hunting through receipts, but i'm guessing it was around $500 installed. lol, much better than the thousands i used to spend ;)

anyway, my two cents and it may be an option for you depending on your needs.

in the end the the solution came in a 12" solobaric kicker sub in it's own enclosure, with the original sub taken out to allow for air movement to the cabin, to help feel the bass. there are plenty of other subs out there, but this one has a dual coil and according to my installer acts almost as two subs in this fashion and is convenient for saving space

A DVC sub only allows you to get more power from an amp. It is nothing like having 2 subs aside from allowing your amp to put more power into one sub. B)

in the end the the solution came in a 12" solobaric kicker sub in it's own enclosure, with the original sub taken out to allow for air movement to the cabin, to help feel the bass. there are plenty of other subs out there, but this one has a dual coil and according to my installer acts almost as two subs in this fashion and is convenient for saving space

A DVC sub only allows you to get more power from an amp. It is nothing like having 2 subs aside from allowing your amp to put more power into one sub. B)

Thanks for your responses. I was bored on Sunday and decided to change my sub once again. I went with the 12" as opposed to 10". I am somewhat satisfied now. The bass is lower and is cleaner at higher volumes. I stayed with the Infinity brand. A bass control knob would be helpful. I did notice that tweeking my midbass control on the Nak radio helps with my overall sound. I too listen to many types of music, and the midbass can sound very boomy in certains types of music. Adjusting this does help quite a bit. Maybe I have found my cure for now. I am thinking about eventually running another Kenwood to match my Kenwood mono amp. This new amp would be four channel and will run the Nak speakers. Best Buy is having close out sales on last year's models and they are too cheap to pass up. I got the 8101D mono amp and the 8401 four channel amp and spent only 300 bucks.

• 1 month later...