Transmission Changeout

Floridaken

1993 lexus SC400

Ya Know Im Just in the mood for some self abuse :chairshot: , So now I am going to try to take my tranny out and put a bone yard tranny in , I just got off of the saw grass, and If I went back there you would still see where I was from the smoke my tranny fluid left , burning off of the exahst system .. seems as soon as I put tranny fluid in , it runs out between the motor and tranny, Might be a seal , but I dont want to get into that, car has 250.000.00 :o on it and I am going to take a chance on a bone yard tranny.. my question is this.. has anybody done this recently and if so, Any Things I should pay close attention too or any warnings about taken this out and replaceing? going to do a tranny and torque converter, maybe even play with the cat converters while I have them down. (hollow them out) any other suggestions would be appriciated. BTW, when i looked under the car, a stream of fluid was leaking from(what looked like a weep hole) between the motor and tranny housing, a seal ?

Ken B)

Your transmission seal is gone. Just replace the seal...there's probally no need for a new tranny. It's a small seal about the diameter of a baseball...you're going to have to drop the transmission to get to it. You're gonna drop the tranny with or without a lift?

Your transmission seal is gone. Just replace the seal...there's probally no need for a new tranny. It's a small seal about the diameter of a baseball...you're going to have to drop the transmission to get to it. You're gonna drop the tranny with or without a lift?

Hey Lex92 , thanks for the reply , Im using jack stands , five of them , I dont have a tranny lift. I just took the exaust out today and am to the point of the catalitic converters, what a pain in the !Removed! they are to get at .. have to buy a long 14 mill closed end, will get it tomorrow.. btw , Im thinking of hollowing the cats out.. hinder or help? i did it to my f350 and picked up 1 mpg. any way I have not picked up the used tranny yet , have a deposit on it, but since ive had the car its shifted hard into 4th gear, like sombody hit the back of the car with a hammer, every time.. so im thinking the used tranny will be a better thing to do, and I will always have the spare tranny to educate myself with. I need new tranny mounts too there not holding anything at all.. found that out today also. is the bushing between the tranny and the propeller shaft supposed to be out of round.. ? I wouldnt think so but it looks like it is. and I have a 1/2 inch of play in the diff, when i turn the drive shaft. any way ,, tranny will be out tomorrow.

thanks

Make sure you replace the seal if you plan on replacing the tranny. It's gonna be a bttch droppin a tranny w/o a lift. Make sure the car is up off the ground high enough so you'll be able to get the tranny out after it's down. You're doing all this without an airgun?

Anything wrong with your cats now? Take a look through them to see if they are still good or not. If those cats are still good then it's probally a good idea if you picked up a set from the wrecking yard and hallowed those out instead. Just keep a set as spares.

Make sure you replace the seal if you plan on replacing the tranny. It's gonna be a bttch droppin a tranny w/o a lift. Make sure the car is up off the ground high enough so you'll be able to get the tranny out after it's down. You're doing all this without an airgun?

Anything wrong with your cats now? Take a look through them to see if they are still good or not. If those cats are still good then it's probally a good idea if you picked up a set from the wrecking yard and hallowed those out instead. Just keep a set as spares.

Thanks for the info. Great Idea!! will keep ya posted. B)

post-10281-1109071891_thumb.jpg

Hey Lex92 , thanks for the reply , Im using jack stands , five of them , I dont have a tranny lift. I just took the exaust out today and am to the point of the catalitic converters, what a pain in the !Removed! they are to get at .. have to buy a long 14 mill closed end, will get it tomorrow.. btw , Im thinking of hollowing the cats out.. hinder or help? i did it to my f350 and picked up 1 mpg. any way I have not picked up the used tranny yet , have a deposit on it, but since ive had the car its shifted hard into 4th gear, like sombody hit the back of the car with a hammer, every time.. so im thinking the used tranny will be a better thing to do, and I will always have the spare tranny to educate myself with. I need new tranny mounts too there not holding anything at all.. found that out today also. is the bushing between the tranny and the propeller shaft supposed to be out of round.. ? I wouldnt think so but it looks like it is. and I have a 1/2 inch of play in the diff, when i turn the drive shaft. any way ,, tranny will be out tomorrow.

thanks

I just picked up a used tranny from the bone yard. it looks alot better than the one i took out. noticed the sleave on the old torque converter is scorn with groves in it, and it looks like the seal that held the converter sleeve is bad on t he old tranny, now the new(used) tranny looks great, I have inspected the ring gear, dosnt seem to be any cracks in it and the teeth look great. not gonna change that ,, but the hole where the shaft of the torque converter is like 1 5/8 of an inch in diameter , it had me looking for a pilot bearing, I dont (hope) think that it had a pilot bearing ,, one didnt fall out when i took the old one off... well .. tomorrow the tranny starts going back in , just swapped all fittings from old tranny to new.. oh .. I need a transmission mount , both of these are bad ,, any sorces for that besides lexus?

Not sure...you want to buy online or do you need them right away? Hey, you used only hand tools to drop the tranny? How long did it take you?

hey Lex, I can buy on line and change them later, mean time Im thinking gorella glue lol :lol: or jbweld for the old mount, the rubber is just seperated from the metal on the mount, the rubber on the mounts look brand new, except for the seperation.. If its not to pricey I guess I could buy them at toyota.. I will check it today, if you have some sorces i would like to hear about them.

time into the tranny drop? I have close to 16 hours on my back (asphalt) under that car :blink: It took a long while cuz i was gun shy and its the first lexus ive had , got as much info from here and clublexus as i could, printed all diagrams from alldata.com and from a chilton IMPORT CAR REPAIR MANUAL 1993--1997 . I was suprised at the info and diagrams that manual had in it, $39.00 at pepboys.

Also, I have the 92 lexus sc400 cd from ebay, If you give me your email addy, I will send you all the pdf files from it.. (if thats ok with sys ops here on the forum of course) Listen, a lift would have been wonderful and air tools even better, I pulled a lat muscle (left side back) breaking those bolts from the tranny without the use of my legs and glutes.. lol.. any way ,, another lesson learned.

Hey, found somthing interesting, look at this. toyota corola, with a lexus v8 in it, check this link out. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...190#post1215190

This same guy, has built twin turbos for the sc400, took them off of a mr2. here is his post............

2 toyota ct26 turbos from mr2s..they are more of a medium sized ct26, and have a twin entry--the exhaust housing is split/divided in order to keep velocity high.. theat keeps the potential hp down, but makes for quick spool and great street turbo-bility?.. toyota also has larger turbos from early supras that have more potential hp.. all of these turbos can be had for cheap on ebay.. this car also has 3 inch dual exhaust all the way back from the 3 inch down pipes..

it is driven everyday,, and so far has proved reliable..the only mod to th engine has been a fuel press regulator.. it has been dynoed at 370 rwhp at 8psi.. and has run a 13.7 at about 109 mph at the track..

the car/ engine has about 150,000 miles on it..

hope you find it interesting :cheers:

thanks for the help.

post-10281-1109306822_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109306636_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109306822_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109306636_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109306534_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109306027_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109306092_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109305758_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109305812_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109305900_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109305959_thumb.jpgpost-10281-1109306027_thumb.jpg

Not sure...you want to buy online or do you need them right away? Hey, you used only hand tools to drop the tranny? How long did it take you?

hey Lex, I can buy on line and change them later, mean time Im thinking gorella glue lol :lol: or jbweld for the old mount, the rubber is just seperated from the metal on the mount, the rubber on the mounts look brand new, except for the seperation.. If its not to pricey I guess I could buy them at toyota.. I will check it today, if you have some sorces i would like to hear about them.

time into the tranny drop? I have close to 16 hours on my back (asphalt) under that car :blink: It took a long while cuz i was gun shy and its the first lexus ive had , got as much info from here and clublexus as i could, printed all diagrams from alldata.com and from a chilton IMPORT CAR REPAIR MANUAL 1993--1997 . I was suprised at the info and diagrams that manual had in it, $39.00 at pepboys.

Also, I have the 92 lexus sc400 cd from ebay, If you give me your email addy, I will send you all the pdf files from it.. (if thats ok with sys ops here on the forum of course) Listen, a lift would have been wonderful and air tools even better, I pulled a lat muscle (left side back) breaking those bolts from the tranny without the use of my legs and glutes.. lol.. any way ,, another lesson learned.

Hey, found somthing interesting, look at this. toyota corola, with a lexus v8 in it, check this link out. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...190#post1215190

This same guy, has built twin turbos for the sc400, took them off of a mr2. here is his post............

2 toyota ct26 turbos from mr2s..they are more of a medium sized ct26, and have a twin entry--the exhaust housing is split/divided in order to keep velocity high.. theat keeps the potential hp down, but makes for quick spool and great street turbo-bility?.. toyota also has larger turbos from early supras that have more potential hp.. all of these turbos can be had for cheap on ebay.. this car also has 3 inch dual exhaust all the way back from the 3 inch down pipes..

it is driven everyday,, and so far has proved reliable..the only mod to th engine has been a fuel press regulator.. it has been dynoed at 370 rwhp at 8psi.. and has run a 13.7 at about 109 mph at the track..

the car/ engine has about 150,000 miles on it..

hope you find it interesting :cheers:

thanks for the help.

for those tranny mounts just look for a few aftermarket part shops. i would refer you to my family's shop but i dont think im allowed to do that on here? its down in pembroke pines. also the oldest parts dealer in south florida.

did you ever think that the tranny mounts were the cause fo the hard shifting? :whistles:

:) i had to say something.

LOL, but at 250K, you can pretty much rest assured that the tranny you are gettig has fewer miles. i woudl keep the old one just in case.

BTW, when you enlarge the pix you put up...they dont work.

for those tranny mounts just look for a few aftermarket part shops. i would refer you to my family's shop but i dont think im allowed to do that on here? its down in pembroke pines. also the oldest parts dealer in south florida.

Oldest parts dealer ? Bennette ? email me k ?

Ken

did you ever think that the tranny mounts were the cause fo the hard shifting?:whistles:

:) i had to say something.

LOL, but at 250K, you can pretty much rest assured that the tranny you are gettig has fewer miles. i woudl keep the old one just in case.

BTW, when you enlarge the pix you put up...they dont work.

dam shame about the pics.. wonder why ? any way , yeah I thought about the mounts and the hard shifts, but they had nothing to do with this kind of hard shift.. it was like a shift kit but harder , was like sombody running into the back of the car whehn it hit over drive. any way.. new tranny is in , and its smooth. drive shaft needs u joint, other than that, its really nice.. put new mounts in too . tell ya what.. what an education you get about (tv, drive shaft, tourque converters, electrical on the tranny) when you change one out for the first time. oh yeah.. I still have the other tranny.