Selling/giving My '94 Ls400 Away....

cenwesi

Hi, I don't know where else to post this so i figure i will just ask away here.

Tomorrow i want to give my aunt my '94 LS400 lexus. I want to know if i can just sell it to her for $1000 and sign over the title. I really don't want her paying the state (Maryland) anything. It is her b-Day tomorrow and what a nice way to suprise her.

Can Anyone provide me an EASY and painless way to do this.

cenwesi@hotmail.com

Thanks.

I gave a 9 year old Beater Datsun to a friend of mine for free years ago. It was rusted out, squealed all over, motor gone, etc. We figured the cost to register the car was minimal, due to age and poor condition. Plus we had a friend whose Mother worked at the "Registry", the DMV in Taxachusetts.

Hah! Boy, were we wrong. Don't try and pull the wool over the eyes of "Lame and Lazy" state workers. When we presented an estimate of worth for the car as $250, she went nuts, brought her boss over, and nearly had us arrested. The book value was $1,000, and she accused us of trying to cheat the State. We asked that someone look at the old wreck, but that "wasn't her job". We ended up paying a little less than book value-but not much.

Maybe because you are giving the car to a relative as a gift, you might get a break. Probably depends on the state. Best of luck.

Since you are in the state of MD, you can transfer the vehicle as a gift to a family member (includes aunt over 65 yrs of age). You will need to complete the Gift Certification form. The vehicle will also need a MD safety inspection plus new plates. Take a look at this link: http://www.marylandmva.com/VehicleServ/REG/titlereg.htm

Good luck!

Since you are in the state of MD, you can transfer the vehicle as a gift to a family member (includes aunt over 65 yrs of age).  You will need to complete the Gift Certification form.  The vehicle will also need a MD safety inspection plus new plates.  Take a look at this link: http://www.marylandmva.com/VehicleServ/REG/titlereg.htm

Good luck!

I looked into that first before posting. The problem is my aunt is not 65+ yrs. Now one thing i can do is give it to my mom and then she hands it over to my aunt in about 1month but i dont want to go that route since i want to surprise her this saturday with it.

I gave away my car to my sister couple of years ago. To avoid the hastle of filling out form for giving it as a gift and also giving MVA the proof, I simply sold the car for $1 and I also had a notorized bill of sale to go with it. MVA did not give her any problems and charged her tax on a $1 which came to I think 5 cents.

I gave away my car to my sister couple of years ago.  To avoid the hastle of filling out form for giving it as a gift and also giving MVA the proof, I simply sold the car for $1 and I also had a notorized bill of sale to go with it.  MVA did not give her any problems and charged her tax on a $1 which came to I think 5 cents.

Can you please walk me through how you accomplished this. Did you get a bill of sale paper or did you just put the $1 on the back of the car title?

I want to get this done tomorrow

Thanks.

I put $1 at the back of title. Then I made a bill of sale and put $1 on it as well. You have to put your and her name, car model, year, odometer reading, VIN number on it as well. Then at the bottom you both need to sign it. Since I personally knew a guy who could notarize, my sister and I signed the bill of sale in advance and then took it to the guy to notorize it. You may have to go to a notory place like a bank or police station etc. and sign the bill of sale in front on them.

My advice to my sister was to be confident when dealing with the MVA clerk. There is nothing wrong that we are doing so no need to be doubtful as to what they will say. Some clerks can give you hard time, but you can ask to speak to the supervisor and he'll probably let you take care of it.

She went to the Laurel MVA. We've usually had good experiences there.

I put $1 at the back of title.  Then I made a bill of sale and put $1 on it as well.  You have to put your and her name, car model, year, odometer reading, VIN number on it as well.  Then at the bottom you both need to sign it. Since I personally knew a guy who could notarize, my sister and I signed the bill of sale in advance and then took it to the guy to notorize it.  You may have to go to a notory place like a bank or police station etc. and sign the bill of sale in front on them.

My advice to my sister was to be confident when dealing with the MVA clerk.  There is nothing wrong that we are doing so no need to be doubtful as to what they will say.  Some clerks can give you hard time, but you can ask to speak to the supervisor and he'll probably let you take care of it.

She went to the Laurel MVA.  We've usually had good experiences there.

Ok i just called MVA and they told me all i had to do is sign the back of the title over to her. No need for bill of sale stuff. I made it clear to the guy that i am giving the car to my aunt. Looks like if the car is more than 10yrs old they don't care anymore.

Ok i just called MVA and they told me all i had to do is sign the back of the title over to her. No need for bill of sale stuff. I made it clear to the guy that i am giving the car to my aunt. Looks like if the car is more than 10yrs old they don't care anymore.

Well done Cenwesi :D

That's a nice present!!! :cheers: