Reading Codes / Code Readers

914lps

I heard that on 91 Lexus cars and many others you can read the trouble or engine codes with out a reader. To do this the story goes, you access the code reader computer connection on the car. Then using jumpers, you jump two if the pins together. The code then reads out though the engine light. It “blinks” the code. The trick is knowing what pins to jump. Jumping the wrong pins and you will really do some damage. Anyone hear of this before? Fact or B.S.?

While I’m at it. Anyone know of a code reader that will work on a 91 LS400??? I know a company called Actron makes some in the $30.00 to $80.00 range for GM, Ford, Chevy, but I do not believe the have a Lexus one. With most folks charging at least $50.00 to scan the codes I would love to have one. Oh, and don’t tell me AutoZone will scan it for me. They can’t do cars as old as 91…

I looked at the link also. I beleive it means that if the car is older then 96, like 95 on down, then you do not need the reader. I also looked at the codes. And I'm confused. I paid $50.00 to have my car "scaned" due to a idle trouble. I was told the scan showed that it was a bad idle control valve. But I did not see a code per that link for the idle controle valve. So, is there more to scanning the car (91 LS400) then this or????? :blink:

• 1 year later...