Difference In 98 And 00

agc

I was looking to see if there was any new listings of 00 LS400 today and came across a 98 with 36k miles. Now this got me thinking about the 2000 that I am buying. What is the difference in the two years and how much more is a 2000 worth. My question is "Is it worth it". My deal is a bit complicated because I have a trade in, but at the end the difference between the 98 and 00 is $4k. I have also seen a 99, but with NAV, however it will cost me more than the $1500 more than the 2000. I fugured I don't need the NAV right now, my wife's Odyssey has one already.

So the question is what is the difference between the 98 and 00 and is the 2000 worth $4000 more.

Thanks all for your input

Thanks guys for the input.

I did some more research and have a question regarding interiors. In the 2000 LS I am looking at it has a black interior and everything is black including the door panels. Now the 98 that I am looking at also has a black interior, but the door panel is grey. Does this make sense. I still have to do some research on the 98, I have not track down it's service history yet, car is being sold by a used car lot. The 2000 is being sold by an Acura dealer (PO traded it in for a new RL) and I have already verified all service records.

I don't think it is all that simple. Are these cars equally equipped and in equal condition? And how many miles does the 2000 have? Even without Nav there were over $8,000 in options available in 98-00. Options in 98 were more individually oriented. Options in 99-00 were more package oriented. Some options on 98 models, like wood/leather steering wheel and gear shift lever became standard in 99. Cars without HID are far more common in the 98 model year. The main standard feature that that the 2000 has over 98-99 is "brake assist" - something you will never miss if you have never experienced it.

36,000 miles is extra low for a 98 so that certainly is a plus if it is in better condition and better optioned than the 2000 LS.

Is there any way you can sell your car on your own first? Trade-in's really muddy the deal and and almost always turn the deal into a lose-lose proposition for the buyer. (You lose on the value of your trade-in and then you lose by not getting the best price on the car you are buying.) We always sell our cars ourselves - often to friends and relatives and come out several thousand dollars ahead on each sell/buy transaction.

All thanks for the input,

Both cars are similarly equiped (wood steering wheel, shift knob, etc), no NAV and no NAK; the 98 does not have heated seats or HID. As for condition, both cars are out of state and I have only looked at pictures, but the 2000 definitely looks to be in better shape and the 98 that I am looking at also has a black interior (just like the 2000), but the door panel is grey in the 98 and black in the 2000.

The 2000 has 34k miles and the 1998 also has 34k.

As for the trade in, I usually trade my cars in because I may loose $1k-$2k, but I don't have to worry about my wife having to show people the car when I'm not around. I have listed my car for sale in a forum for Ford Harley trucks and no bites yet. I bought the truck 4 months ago for $16k, which is a pretty good price for a 22k 2000 Ford F150 Harley Davidson truck. The dealer that I am dealing with was selling the 2000 for $27k, I negotiated $25k for his car and he agreed to give me $16k for my truck. So I think I am ok, unless $25k is too much for a 2000 LS400.

The fact that the 2000 seems to be in better condition complicates matters. I don't know what this means, but I would get the 98 if the two were comparable. 34K miles is very low. $4000 pays for a 60K service, a 90K service and lots of oil changes and even a minor repair at the dealer's. Obviously you'd save even more if you have a good independent mechanic.

OK then, based on what you just said I would say that there is no comparison between the choices. The 2000 is certainly worth $4,000 more than the 98. And you will like the HID and the "butt warmers" will be nice in New York.

I suspect that you are underestimating the cost of doing a trade-in on vehicles of these particular values. I suspect your cost will be $3-5K more than on an all cash deal if you drive even a barely decent bargain on both ends of the trade-in transaction. Dealers love trade-in deals. But once you priced these deals with a trade-in, it is difficult to switch - the dealer already "has your number".

Hmmmmm,

If you think the 00 is in "better shape"..........that would make me lean away from the 98.........but "what kind of better shape" - is it???

Tires, exterior, body dings, interior rips or tears........what kinds of things?

I don't llike the sounds of that 98 with the "gray door panel"..........

Have you check the VIN stickers on all the doors, fenders, hood, trunk etc...to make sure the car hasn't been painted, wrecked, etc....

THere is at least $4k difference in depreciation of those two cars..............

There are also instances of wear that come with age and not mileage, corrosion, drying out of seals and bushings etc. I would pay $4000 for a 2 year newer car with that equipment.

Also be sure that the car has the wood wheel (i.e. have you seen it) because if it does it was added aftermarket. The wood wheel/shifter came with the HID lights in 98.

Door panel is grey? Thats strange. Can we see pictures?

Here are the pictures of the door panel and seats. The seats look black or dark charcoal grey and the door panel looks like it's light grey; it may be the light, but I am curious to know what you guys think.

post-6389-1108733153_thumb.jpg

agc, I believe I have the same interior color that you are looking at. I just replaced the part that surrounds the silver door handle in the photo. The Lexus parts department described the color as "blue-grey". Does yours have just a hint of blue? It looks like mine from the photo. My exterior color is blue. I think yours is correct.

Forgot to add that I agree with SW03ES and others, I love my '98, but the 2000 sounds like the better deal, and the better car according to you. Going by blue book it is well worth the $4k difference and even more. The heated seats are fun for me in Chicago although truthfully I don't really feel the need for them even on colder days. Really, I'd rather have feet and hand warmers if they could invent that. HID is really nice and my '98 does not have them.

Another thing to consider, the 2000 is the last year before the big change to LS430, and the '98-00 is a very desireable year and style, many people down the road may search for the "newest" LS400 body style which would be yours, just like I know people look for a '95 Acura Legend knowing it was the last for that generation. Finally, it would be helpful to know that the oil was changed on both of these according to time and not just mileage. 34k miles on a 7 year old car is very low, and you want to know that it was changed more than once a year. Is there a Dealer maintained history on either of them?

I did the research on the 2000 and found that all service was done at the local Lexus dealership (funny thing is I was originally looking at buying a 530i from the Lexus dealership, funny thing is that after I decided on the LS400 I spoke to the salesperson in the exus dealer selling me the 530i and he said he knew the customer and that the car was in excellent condition, he also said I would be better of buying a Lexus over a BMW). The services for the 2000 is up to date and all previous maintenance was also done on time. As for the 1998, I will start researching that and see what was done and what was not.

I have confirmed the 2000 service and vehicle history, but not the 1998 yet. The 1998 is being sold by a small dealership and the 2000 is being sold by an Acura dealer; not sure if this matters