Steviej - Engine Coolant

ajvenuto

To Steviej,

In a post you made on Jan. 22, you were discussing the new long life pink Toyota engine coolant. You mentioned incompatibility with the older red fluid and even "green" fluid. Were you saying that conventional "green" ethylene glycol coolant is not compatible with the Toyota red coolant fliud?

I'd like to know because I have already added "green" conventional coolant to the red fluid in my '99 Camry and "00 RX300 which both have red coolant. I did this assuming the red Toyota coolant was compatible with standard green ethylene glycol coolant.

Please clarify...........

Thanks

I have already added "green" conventional coolant to the red fluid in my '99 Camry and "00 RX300 which both have red coolant. I did this assuming the red Toyota coolant was compatible with standard green ethylene glycol coolant.

Understand: You own ASIAN cars with unque ASIAN car engineering, parts, fluids and filters. Retail stores and auto parts stores carry AMERICAN car care products. Using American car stuff in an Asian car nearly always degrades the reliability and durability of an Asian car over the long run.

If you added a pint or less of green coolant to the factory fill coolant (Toyota Red Long Life Antifreeze) there will probably be no noticable consequences, but mixing both coolants in substantial amounts will cause mineral buildup and corrosion problems in the cooling system which will cause all kinds of other problems.

Simple rule to follow: Don't mess with the work of the Lexus engineers. At replacement time, use exactly the same lubes, fluids, parts and filters that the factory engineers originally installed in the car. So for example, when you see a new kind of coolant on the market, simply ignore it. Simply keep using the factory fill coolant mixture (50% Toyota Red Long Life Antifreeze mixed with 50% distilled water).