1jz Vs 2jz

llama

personally i like how the 1j sounds better than the 2, its more of a higher revving sound thanks to its shorter stroke.

other than that its just a matter of tourque mainly, and then there is peak HP, along with where the power is. i believe the pre 97 1j's had a more linear power curve where peak power was made near redline where the 2j makes it a little lower and drops off.

The 1jz has a shorter stroke, but keep in mind that the 1jz has less displacement.

The 2jz is a I6 3.0

The 1jz is a I6 2.5

Although both engines had stock TT's, the 2jz can yield much more horsepower and torque due to its mass aftermarket support coming from the Toyota Supra.

The 1jz is a good engine, but the 2jz is basically a revised and more reliable engine.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking about doing an upgrade on my car, and it looks like the 1jz is a lot less expensive to purchase in comparison to the 2jz (i am speaking about the turbo versions) . I've read that the 1jz is a miser when it comes to 'normal, daily' driving, while the 2jz is not as much. I will be using my sc as a daily driver, so I'm looking at reliability, cost, parts availability and some extra punch (I do miss not having a turbo car!). This would be either a summer or winter project, but I want to thouroughly explore this venture.

My car came from the factory with a 1jz so i may be able to add some insight. The 1jz has exactly the same if not more torque when you compare a stock 1jz (TT) to a stock 2jz(TT). The sound is probably due to the exhaust manifolds being different. A single turbo 1jz with cams sounds like a 70s muscle car V8, but so does just about every cammed inline 6. The 1jz is fine for daily driving. The stock turbo system makes it nice since boost comes on really low(2.2k). As far as parts availability, the 1jz is becoming very popular in the states now. Most all of my parts i get from the states already.

Worse than the 2jz?? Smaller engine, smaller injectors = worse fuel economy? As long as you stay off of boost which isnt hard at all with the torque and easy city driving i get about 4-500km out of an 18gal tank. Once you get on the boost and up in the rpms then you start to suck gas alot. Also, seeing as how almost all of the parts for the 2jz will fit the 1jz, they have pretty much the exact same potential. you can make the same numbers with either engine

Worse than the 2jz??  Smaller engine, smaller injectors = worse fuel economy?  As long as you stay off of boost which isnt hard at all with the torque and easy city driving i get about 4-500km out of an 18gal tank.  Once you get on the boost and up in the rpms then you start to suck gas alot.  Also, seeing as how almost all of the parts for the 2jz will fit the 1jz, they have pretty much the exact same potential.  you can make the same numbers with either engine

The economy figures that you have listed are what I have read about the 1JZ getting for conservative driving. I do like hearing that the boost comes in at such a low RPM!

I was also wondering about a dyno on the torque curves for the two motors. I have been searching around online, but to no avail.

With an open exhaust the boost comes on low and its really unknown how long the stock turbos will last with higher boost levels. Ive run mine at almost 1bar for a year with no problems, however some people blow them after a month. Im converting to single so it doesnt make much difference to me. Supraforums has some stock 1JZ dyno graphs posted in their forum

• 1 month later...

ive heard that in japan when a 1jz block starts getting worn and people rebuild they throw on the 2jz block for the added displacement, 3.0, i dont know if theres any or much difference betweend the 2jzgte heads and the 1jzgte heads, but they call that swap the 1.5jzgte. since the 1jz engine is so much cheaper it seems like a good idea to get and through you bock on it and to save some cash. i dont know much else on it though(except the NA and the TT blocks are the exact same according to this source)

All of the blocks(1jz/2jzgte or 1jz/2jzge) are pretty much the same. The only real difference is the oil squirters arent installed in the GE blocks and there isnt any taps for oil to the turbos. Naturally the 1jz blocks are shorter by 20-30mm i think. Heads will bolt to either block and the only differences in there are the port spacing and direction.

Also, dont believe everything you hear about Japan. There arent any junkyards with TT supras lined up as far as the eye can see next to the R34 GT-Rs. The government is very strict as far as modifying your car and what you can get away with. There are some shady places to go, but its your !Removed! if you get caught.

Personally, I am biased, but I'd go 2JZ.

1. MUCH Easier to get parts.

2. Swap is easier espec if your getting an AEM.

3. Potenetial is far greater.

4. Its not much more than a 1jz swap.

FWIW my 2jzSC300 laid down 867 RWHP last week.

Mike

i just like the 1j more because of that higher revving hollow sound that it has... but yea the torque and power of the 2j is killer

mike:

867whp on c16? how much boost are you runnin?

great to hear! thats enough power to smash your face in to that initial smile when you first feel boost along with temporary blindness^^

i just like the 1j more because of that higher revving hollow sound that it has... but yea the torque and power of the 2j is killer

mike:

867whp on c16? how much boost are you runnin?

great to hear! thats enough power to smash your face in to that initial smile when you first feel boost along with temporary blindness^^

C16 is my heroin:) Its a great time. That was the first pass on the dyno, then the AEM CDI decided to let me know that it hated non resistor plugs, so that sacked the rest of the pulls. We are hoping for 920RWHP. I should make it back next week. That pull was at 39psi with like 13 degrees of timing. so there is tons of room for improvement.

Mike

how built up is your motor?

sorry to jack the thread and all....

Since the thread is about the strengths of the 1/2jz I think its not even close to jacking:)

I have Arias Pistons, Crower Rods, Imm over Ferrea valves with Crower springs. A Virtual works racing stage two race port head, HKS 272's, Virtual works intake mainfold.

Incase you don't know who VWR is they have the worlds fastest non nitrous supra at 8.89@156. They also built Garth Weavers car which is now on t04r.com and he made 1035 RWHP. They also have a customers stock block Supra with a 74mm Strim and it just made a 9.96 seond pass.

Anything else just PM me so we don't thread jack.

Mike