Rx300 Check Engine Light

bhavvik

Hi,

I recently bought a RX300 1999 model. After few months, my car compeletely stopped working - It turned out to be a transmission problem - i had that fixed - but now , the check engine lights and trans Off lights come on - They said its the oxygen sensor that needs to be replaced - but what i dont understand is that before i had my transmission fixed these lights never came on - and the day i picked up my car from the service shop - it came on -

does having the transmission fix lead to this? i have already put in $5,000 on this car, and dont want to keep spending more money - oxygen sensor might cost me about $600 - if this keeps happening - pretty soon, fixing this car will cost me the amt i paid for the entire car.. if anyone has any suggestion - please let me know..

thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea abou this situation?! any help is appreciated

Hi,

I recently bought a RX300 1999 model.  After few months, my car compeletely stopped working - It turned out to be a transmission problem - i had that fixed - but now , the check engine lights and trans Off lights come on - They said its the oxygen sensor that needs to be replaced - but what i dont understand is that before i had my transmission fixed these lights never came on - and the day i picked up my car from the service shop - it came on -

does having the transmission fix lead to this?  i have already put in $5,000 on this car, and dont want to keep spending more money - oxygen sensor might cost me about $600 - if this keeps happening - pretty soon, fixing this car will cost me the amt i paid for the entire car..  if anyone has any suggestion - please let me know..

thanks in advance!

If you're mechanically inclined, you can pull out a service manual ($10 download @ http://techinfo.toyota.com) and buy a scan tool ($200 Auterra plus a PDA) if you want to fix this yourself. Pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes with the scan tool and find which O2 sensor is bad, and after testing it and finding it to be at fault, you could buy an O2 sensor from the stealership for $180 retail and change it out youself. Then you'd have a scan tool, service manual, and $200 in your pocket for more tools to work on your car if it has problems ever again.

I won't let a dealership touch my cars. They reduce the life of a car by 50,000 mi every time they service a vehicle.

First check for the obvious. The most common one being the black hose that runs down behind the air filter box. It comes off the metal tube below it and causes a check engine light. This is common after someone lifts up on the air filter box top to check the air filter. If this is it, put the hose back on and pull the EFI fuse for a few minutes to reset the light. If that is not it your best bet is getting the code read at Autozone for free. Do a search on this board and on the ES forum. You will find everything you need to know about check engine lights, sensors, etc.