Recommendations On Portable Gps Systems

MikeP

My Lexus doesn't have a navigation system, so I am looking to buy one of the portable systems. Locally, Best Buy has these available: Cobra Nav One, Garmin StreetPilot 2620, Lowrance iway 500c, Magellan RoadMate 700. Can anyone give comments based on use, both positive and negative? The Cobra got a bad review from PC Magazine and the Lowrance 500c is pretty new and has a built-in MP3 player (not important to me). On paper, the StreetPilot 2620 looks the most attractive to me (price, features), but I'm hoping you guys can help educate me so I can make a more informed decision. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

I'd go with the Garmin. I have a Garmin iQue 3600 for the cars, and I don't know how I got around with out it before-this puppy really saved my !Removed! 10x when I go to Dallas. :D Cars is the most important part of the the Garmin; I can use it in any of our 6 cars or friends'/familys' cars. B) You should take a look at the 3600; it's cheap and excellent machine. On the Garmin, the car kit is an absolute must(I think I had to pay about $80 or $100 for this, but it's well worth it.)-uses the car's power, loud speaker, and the "bean-bag" mount to hold the gps on the dash. Additional memory is also a must. I was only able to fit the New Orleans area on the std internal memory(Kenner, Metarie, Westbank, chalmette, some of Hammond, LaPlace, I think that's all?).

The only bad I can find is the mapping software. It has never sent me in the wrong direction, ever. My complaint is some of the POI's are inaccurate(this happened twice). Maybe it's just time for an update? <_< Other than that, the voice directons are superb, has several POIs, nice display, and a Palm Pilot(that I never use).

post-1461-1108487742_thumb.jpg

Garmin, Lowrance and Magellan started in the marine plotting business. All very reputable names. Cobra is a mediocre novelty electronics company.

You won't go wrong with either of the Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance. It will come down to easy of use, price, upgradability, easy in mounting and the ever popular esthetics.

steviej