Cabin Filter Upgrade

Shaggz

As far as I can tell, Gen 1 LS400 does not come with a cabin filter option, but I am very interested in finding a way to install one. I'm sure it's possible, as with most things probably just a matter of $$.

I would really love to just get a newer model LS430 :) but I can't exactly afford to do that right now. What I'm curious about is whether it would be very difficult to install something like this myself and just how much it might actually cost. Does anyone know of anything in the aftermarket world that would work? Would doing something like this require more work than it's worth, like rerouting or replacing the airflow ductwork?

Thanks...

Are you having an issue with fumes or something that leads you to believe that you need a replaceable filter in the HVAC system? We drove our 90 LS for 13 1/2 in a large city without an HVAC replaceable filter. LS's with replaceable HVAC filters sense contaminants in the air and automatically switch the air intake between outside air and inside air depending on outside air quality. Since our 90 LS did not have this system, it did not have a compartment for a replaceable filter behind the glovebox like our 00 LS does.

I remember that this system was a several thousand dollar option outside the U.S. in the early 90's and I was surprised when it was made standard on the LS in (I think) the 93 model year without the list price of the car rising all that much.

It is kind of entertaining to sit in a traffic jam and watch the system automatically switch between outside and inside air. The system is even programable and one can choose how bad the outside air has to get before the system switches to inside air.

snip

I remember that this system was a several thousand dollar option outside the U.S. in the early 90's and I was surprised when it was made standard on the LS in (I think) the 93 model year without the list price of the car rising all that much.

It is kind of entertaining to sit in a traffic jam and watch the system automatically switch between outside and inside air.  The system is even programable and one can choose how bad the outside air has to get before the system switches to inside air.

Please tell more !!

I have a 1993 and tried for 3 years to get the local Toyota dealer (it's 300 miles to the only Lexus dealer in Norway :-)) and the dealer in Germany where I take the services on the car to check and possibly replace the filter. Both told me that this model did NOT have this filter.

I opened the compartment and found there where room for a filter, bought one set on e-bay and installed it myself.

How can You program the system ??

Regards

Arvid

Norway

On my 2000 LS400, the recirculation sensitivity is programmed with the driver side temperature control. Attached is the relevant page from my 2000 LS400 owners manual.

I happen to have an owners manual for the LS400 sold in Europe and the U.K. in 1994. The 1994 manual does not show a recirculation sensitivity adjustment.

I am surprised that you can not get getter support for your car in Normay. In 1993, I considered taking my 1990 U.S. specification LS400 on a one year assignment in Zurich. Lexus customer service told me that my car would receive no support from the European Lexus organization or its agents. I am surprised that there are not more Lexus agencies 12 years later.

I stayed up late last night watching Ian Wright on a television program called Globetracker. The program showed Wright traveling by boat, bus and plane from the most southern tip of Norway to the northern tip where he surrounded his camp site in the snow with "trip wires" that shot explosive flares when polar bears approached. Beautiful country! We should travel to Norway sometime instead of spending our holidays on beaches in the Greek islands!

post-2157-1108918487_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
...I opened the compartment and found there where room for a filter, bought one set on e-bay and installed it myself.

Regards

Arvid

Norway

Arvid, that sounds exactly like what I want to do. Where does the filter component go? Behind the glovebox? Was it difficult to install?

It sounds like you were able to install it, but can't get it working..? Is it possible that there is some requirement from the A/C system itselft to be able to support the automatic switching from filter to non-filter operation? In other words, even if we can install a filter it will never work due to dependencies elsewhere within the system?

I image this filter as just an inline carbon-type filter that is either used or bypassed. Is that correct? If the older A/C system simply won't support the automatic filter operation, is there a way to force it to always use the filter? Or is it a matter of just automatically switching from fresh to recirc air?

:cheers:

Are you having an issue with fumes or something that leads you to believe that you need a replaceable filter in the HVAC system?  We drove our 90 LS for 13 1/2 in a large city without an HVAC replaceable filter.  LS's with replaceable HVAC filters sense contaminants in the air and automatically switch the air intake between outside air and inside air depending on outside air quality.  Since our 90 LS did not have this system, it did not have a compartment for a replaceable filter behind the glovebox like our 00 LS does.

It is kind of entertaining to sit in a traffic jam and watch the system automatically switch between outside and inside air.  The system is even programable and one can choose how bad the outside air has to get before the system switches to inside air.

In 1993, they added a filter to the system.

The Auto switching was not available until 1998.

• 6 months later...
...I opened the compartment and found there where room for a filter, bought one set on e-bay and installed it myself.

Regards

Arvid

Norway

Arvid, that sounds exactly like what I want to do. Where does the filter component go? Behind the glovebox? Was it difficult to install?

It sounds like you were able to install it, but can't get it working..? Is it possible that there is some requirement from the A/C system itselft to be able to support the automatic switching from filter to non-filter operation? In other words, even if we can install a filter it will never work due to dependencies elsewhere within the system?

I image this filter as just an inline carbon-type filter that is either used or bypassed. Is that correct? If the older A/C system simply won't support the automatic filter operation, is there a way to force it to always use the filter? Or is it a matter of just automatically switching from fresh to recirc air?

:cheers:

Hi !

Sorry for the late feedback :-(

I found my place for the filter in the passenger side. When removing the cover above the foot well, I could see the filter compartment and unscrewed two wingnuts and installed it. Quite easy, but it's just a normal air filter and I do NOT have this newer inside /outside air shifting capabliity... sorry:-)

Regards

Arvid

I am pretty sure EVERY Lexus has the compartment for the filter,some earlier ones did not have it installed but most all did.

I know in the later 90 models it is usually easier to find behind the glovebox for access as my 98 LS is. On my 94 ES it is behind the carpet beside the gas pedal ,a real pain to get to .

I also used an expensive custom filter material costing $30 ( i can make 2 for this price) instead of the Lexus type filter. It works great but is not a tiny particle filtration as the oem on .

Do all post '93ish LSs have this? I have a cabin filter, and the climate controller switches back and forth, but I always thought it did it for different reasons. lol

Blake,

Like Grand_LS_4 said, it may have been the 1998 model year when the HVAC system was changed to sense outside air quality and switch between outside air and recirculated air accordingly.

Unless your owners manual describes adjusting your HVAC system for outside air quality, I suspect your system is automatically switching back and forth between outside air and recirculated air just to keep your interior cool in that steamy Louisiana heat.

Thanks for the PM!

anyone know a part number? :D

I just ordered two filters for my 1996 and 2000 LS 400's from http://www.irontoad.com/l_home.htm for a total of $55.98 including shipping. They are the same part number for each year and as listed in previous post. My local SuperLube wanted $49.95 each installed. Installation might take 10 seconds.

Blake,

Like Grand_LS_4 said, it may have been the 1998 model year when the HVAC system was changed to sense outside air quality and switch between outside air and recirculated air accordingly.

Unless your owners manual describes adjusting your HVAC system for outside air quality, I suspect your system is automatically switching back and forth between outside air and recirculated air just to keep your interior cool in that steamy Louisiana heat.

Thanks for the PM!

Ohh ok, I was confused with all of the years and which one switched and which one didn't! You are right my ac does switch back and forth, and I hate it! I sure wish I could program it to stay on recirculate since the air stinks here! lol

That pm was waay past due!! :cheers: