Rx300 Transmission Filter

lenore

I was wondering where and how much an external filter described in the threads could be obtained? I am on my third transmission and am sick of Lexus !Removed! my car up each time they touch it.

I was wondering where and how much an external filter described in the threads could be obtained?  I am on my third transmission and am sick of Lexus !Removed! my car up each time they touch it.

Here you go: http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm

I really don't like the idea of this but given the problems with the RX trannies I might go for one.

I really don't like the idea of this but given the problems with the RX trannies I might go for one.

Has any* Lexus owner who drained and refilled the transmission oil pan every 15,000 miles had any transmission durability problems? Answer: No

Has any Lexus owner who changed the engine oil every 3-6 months or 3000-5000 miles ever had an engine sludge problem? Answer: No

Reasonable conclusion: Solutions to potential problems are extremely simple.

*boy racers / street racers excluded

monarch's statements are opinion, not fact. However, I believe that changing the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles (or even every 30,000 miles) will help to minimize problems for most RX AWD owners. But having to do so is simply inexcusable given today's transmission technology. Lexus should acknowledge and correct this as a service to all owners who have been affected by premature transmission failure. We pay far too much for these vehicles to be stuck with lousy transmission design and performance.

Bear in mind that I've recently heard of at least one catastrophic transmission failure in a properly-maintained and driven RX300 AWD at just under 12,000 original miles. The driver was a middle-aged female and the vehicle was always serviced on schedule by the selling dealership. I don't know the model year nor were the full details shared with me, but if I can confirm this story I'll post it here. If this turns out to be accurate, it instantly invalidates monarch's statement.

Bear in mind that I've recently heard of at least one catastrophic transmission failure in a properly-maintained and driven RX300 AWD at just under 12,000 original miles.  The driver was a middle-aged female and the vehicle was always serviced on schedule by the selling dealership.  I don't know the model year nor were the full details shared with me, but if I can confirm this story I'll post it here.  If this turns out to be accurate, it instantly invalidates monarch's statement.

That sounds more like a manufacturing defect rather than a design issue – With the hundreds of thousands of these gearboxes produced there will always been the unlucky person who ends up with one that fails and which is why the manufacturer provides a warranty.

Here you go: http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm

Not sure about that filter, SKperformance's problem was with fibers not metal particals.

I am not totally sold on this filter idea yet, but if you check it out it does filter out fibers not just metal particles.

But having to do so is simply inexcusable given today's transmission technology.

Just the opposite is true; i.e. the newer transmissions are immensely complicated and inherently more sensitive to the effects of old, worn fluid than the transmissions of decades past. So regular fluid changes are more important than ever before (for the owner who desires to obtain super long, troublefree transmission life.)

Owners with business backgrounds understand the reason why Lexus and numerous other car makers do not recommend regular fluid changes, except for severe service, is merely due to competitive marketing pressures. In other words, car makers know the public will wrongly assume a transmission is weakly designed if the car maker claims regular fluid changes are needed for long transmission life.

monarch I tend to agree with your reasoning on the manufacturing defect rather than a design issue, I see so many of these RX's on the road around here that if it was a design flaw they would be laying along side the road every where you look. I also think that Lexus has seen enough of the problems that they should step up to the plate and pay for every single transmission that comes in damaged with less than 100k miles unless they can prove it was abused or used as a taxi. They should send out a recall to every owner of AWD RX's and pay for the fluid replacement every 15-20k miles, total replacement not just a pan change. I mean just how much do you really think it costs a dealer to change the fluid? I would say half hour labor and the cost of fluid. I'll say $40.US tops at there cost. They would get alot of respect from people owning these cars.

Jeff