Gas Mileage?

Jeffchs32

I am in the same boat, I just aquired a 99 RX300 AWD in execellent shape and the one disappointment has been gas mileage. I have tried several things:

Clean MAS

Clean throttle body

Filter is brand new

was going to change plugs but was told they are really good up to about 110,000

miles, they have 82,000 on them now. I pulled 3 of them and they LOOK like they are in good shape and were not gummed up or real dirty.

Tires have 30 psi all around

in perfect alignment

and no AC running.

Have tried reg, middle, and high octaine fuel ...does not really matter.

Honestly I saw a entry in here by one of the memebers that said he actually got worst mileage using high octaine.....I beleive I would have to concur with him.

I am running a tank of 91 through it now and my mileage looks worst than just running 87 grade !!

I am not a hard driver and most was highway driving.

And I am getting ABOUT 18.2 miles per gallon, if that, with the last tank of mid grade I ran......this really is a disappoint since I was told by several sources I would see 21 miles per gallon .......not happening <_< ......... its not even summer and running the AC.

This is worst than some trucks with V-8's in them....quite the bummer.

wishing I had gotten the 2 wheel version of it now.

Couple of folks have offerd suggestions such as a K&N however it does let more dirt in because it less restrictive than a OEM.......dont care to take a chance with that....gets dusty here.

Anyway....guess I am venting a little.....sorry ;)

I guess this is going to be as good as it gets :(

Try thinner winter engine oil. Mobil One 0w20's viscosity index and flash point are similiar or better than those of 5w30. If you worried about higher temperature protection, just change it before summer. Newer Ford and Acura cars recommends 0w20 to meet CAFE standard. I just changed mine 1000 miles ago and have no problem

In Southern Calif we get about 15 when driving in town & 20 when on highways (outside of LA). It is not as good as I would like; but, I like the AWD when in the snow areas a few times during the winter. My wife drives in town & does not try to get good milage. I know we could get about 17 in town if she really tried. And on the highways, if I drove 60 to 65 instead of 65 to 75, I'm sure we would get better than 20!

My 99 2WD (91,200 miles) gets around 19.5 on the highway. 99% of our miles are highway miles....so I don't really have a true "in town" figure. I am about to switch to a K&N air filter to see if that helps some. I sure would like to see 21MPG again. I used 93 octane gas for about a year....and I saw an improvement at first. However, now I am back to where I was before the higher octane gas. I am going back to 87. I will still only use Chevron gas with Techron, however. Makes me sleep a little better at night.

Presently, our 2002 RX 300 with 47K Kilometers gets 15 litres per 100km so about 15.6 miles per US Gallon (combined city and highway but it really doesn't seem to make that much difference either way)

The Canadian winter warmup times will kill the performance figures to begin with (and the gas prices in this country only add to the misery). Consider yourself lucky!

Mine seems to have gone down a little, but maybe I was just driving into the wind yesterday on the way home ... just over 18 all city ... 22.5 last highway/interstate trip. On a windless day at 64mph on highway I was getting 24.8 mpg.

I have AWD.

I usally get worst mpg in the winter due to the winter blend gas in this area & the longer warm time it takes to get the engine to normal operating temperature.

15-17 city 19 freeway---Summer 16-18 city as high as 22 mpg on a long trip traveling 65-70 mph. In really sucks gas after 75 mph. This is a 2wd. 2004 RX330

I have sought feed back on the issue of gas mileage in a previous post. My mileage is very low. I calculated my mileage the old fashion way thinking perhaps the computer was wrong. I was partially correct. The computer reading was high by one-half a gallon.

Around town, consisting of mainly short trips, sometimes only one or two miles, my wife has been getting 12-13 mpg. Yesterdays highway trip registered about 23 mpg. The EPA numbers for my AWD drive are 18-25.

Does anybody have a view on whether the city mileage, resulting from admittedly short trips at less than ideal operating temperatures, is within the normal range or should be discussed with my dealer.

Bob of Chevy Chase

I have sought feed back on the issue of gas mileage in a previous post.  My mileage is very low.  I calculated my mileage the old fashion way thinking perhaps the computer was wrong.  I was partially correct.  The computer reading was high by one-half a gallon. 

Around town, consisting of mainly short trips, sometimes only one or two miles, my wife has been getting 12-13 mpg.  Yesterdays highway trip registered about 23 mpg.  The EPA numbers for my AWD drive are 18-25. 

Does anybody have a view on whether the city mileage, resulting from admittedly short trips at less than ideal operating temperatures, is within the normal range or should be discussed with my dealer.

Bob of Chevy Chase

Bob,

Your dealer would love to talk about it and find someway to work in some computer time and all those things...but...The truth is the weight of the vehicle and the amount of energy(torque) it takes to get it moving, 18 in the city IS good. The stop and go and the on and off the gas is a major killer of good MPG. I have given up and just go have fun in the car. My daily ride is a Sieanna van (with the same motor) and a car load of teens gets about 16mpg. But on the road with no air it gets around 25mpg. It sits about 2" lower than the RX and is about 12" longer

and has a little less compression. But they are listed as having the same HP. Go figure... If you take the crossbars off the roof rack your mpg will go up by 1 or 2 mpg. My wifes riode is a '03 with 22,500 miles on it...

Bruce

We have a 2004 RX330 AWD and live in San Francisco. In the city (stop sign to stop sign driving), we get between 11 and 12MPG on 89 octaine gas - it's worse on 87. On the highway we get between 22 and 23MPG. Our prior car was a 2000 RX300. That car got about 15.5 MPG in the city and about 21 MPG on the highway. I think that the difference is related to the miserable drive-by-wire system that keeps the transmission in the lower gears for too long when driving in the city.

I just took a road trip from Houston to Austin and back and averaged according to the computer 26.3mpg. I was running 70 mph most of the time and all highway. This was in a 330 with 16,000 miles.

My wife drives it around town and typical readings are 18-19 mpg. We took it to Sacramento a year ago and had similar results. We did get some bad gas and mileage on the freeway was as low as 19 mpg. I noted that Chevron middle grade seems to give the best results. It seems that gas mileage is very sensitive to gas quality.